Looking Ahead: My thoughts on Iowa State

If ISU is patient on O and will take what Iowa's D gives them.....it will make for some tense moments at Kinnick. However I don't see how ISU will be able to stop Iowa.....unless Stanzi decides to throw some picks.

Hampton will be back for the game and he is a better RB than the 'Doak Walker Award Nominee" they played last night from NIU.

I enjoy reactionary comments like these. Tough to say considering we havent even seen Iowa play a game yet dont you think?

I don't think anything Iowa does tomorrow (man it feels good to say that) is going to have any bearing on what happens next weekend.

That being said, it was nice for ISU to give Norm and the rest of the defensive coaches an extra day to look at film.

I don't think anything Iowa does tomorrow (man it feels good to say that) is going to have any bearing on what happens next weekend.

That being said, it was nice for ISU to give Norm and the rest of the defensive coaches an extra day to look at film.

I sort of agree but my point was its pretty hard to predict Iowa may be in trouble based on one game against a MAC team with a QB who had Johnny Damon's arm

It is going to be a very difficult game for Iowa. It would not surprise me if Iowa State won.

Really? That's what you took away from that game? I saw an ISU team play an opponent that was pretty suspect on both sides of the ball and they still allowed the game to get pretty tight at one point.

Let's wait and see what Kirk and the Hawks look like on Saturday before making comments like that.

Go Hawks or Go Home!

If ISU is getting beat by NIU receivers over and over again, what do you think DJK, and McNutt are gonna do? Sims will definitely help, but if they have to drop deeper in coverage look for Reisner to tear them an new a-hole.

Good overall performance for the Clones. With that said I really thought that Northern Illinois got away from running the ball to quickly. I question the play calling on the 1 yard line when they only gave their stud back one attempt to punch it in. Had they gave him 3 I have little doubt he would have.

It was obvious that Northern Illinois' QB is TERRIBLE. He over threw 3 guys that were beyond the secondary that would have resulted in TD's. Maybe ISU knew the guy couldn't throw and game planed for that very thing...taking their chances if you will.

I'm not sold yet on the Clones defense. The thing that is striking to me is that there were plenty of open receivers running around the Clone secondary, but the Huskies QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That will not be the case next week when they see Ricky Stanzi. One thing we know is that Iowa will not abandoned the running game with Jewel and Robinson. I think Iowa will run the ball at will causing those backers and safeties to crowd the LOS. This is when I think you'll see a huge difference between Northern Illinois and Iowa's QB's. Stanzi will shred the defense if they stack the box. I love Iowa's chances.

Thought the clones looked better than average.

NIU QB play was flat out dreadful and not because of ISU's defesnse so it is tough to tell when they face a better offense.

I watched the game and here are a few quick hits,
A. Their kicking game is still the adventure it has been since 2004. Every kick I was cringing as it wobbled through.
B. They played too soft on D.. A WR screen to DJK, Sandeman or Chaney could be a big gainer.
C. Their favorite pass play is a 3wide to the right with the middle WR bumping the inside guys coverman with the inside WR going towards the sideline.

I enjoy reactionary comments like these. Tough to say considering we havent even seen Iowa play a game yet dont you think?

Really? Seems to me Iowa struggled to beat ISU at home 2 years ago. And lost to them the year before that.

I don't see how this game can be considered anything BUT tough.....especially when you consider that ISU plays the type of offense that typically gives Iowa fits.

My humble opinion saw an NIU team that was simply gone...didn't show up. They finally to start the 2nd half started to show something but just lost focus constantly. THeir QB is terrible...and I mean terrible. ISU won the game at home like they should against an inferior opponent. They gave up yard rushing way too easily at times, Arnaud is still Arnaud as Jon pointed out. Hard to get a read on how good or bad ISU is. I am so needing to see how we come out and look on Saturday, easier to compare and see what my thoughts are about the battle.

Really? Seems to me Iowa struggled to beat ISU at home 2 years ago. And lost to them the year before that.

I don't see how this game can be considered anything BUT tough.....especially when you consider that ISU plays the type of offense that typically gives Iowa fits.

Iowa usually holds team that run ISU's offense in check. They run the same type of stuff NW and Indiana run, but mix the Ga. Tech dive play in every once in a while. They got some big gains off the dive in the first half, but NIU shut it down in the 2nd.

NW scored 10 points last year, and while Indiana scored 24, only three of them came in the second half.

Last edited:
I think Jon hit on the point that I noticed the most last night from the ISU game. NIU did most of their damage on the ground. When they went to the air the opportunities for big plays (20+ yards) were there. ISU's safeties got sucked up on play action quite often. The seam, fade and skinny post routes were there for NIU (read outside the hashes). If they had a QB that could throw it in the ocean they would have converted a lot of big pass plays. NIU's QB was as bad a passing QB as I've seen in a while.

Watching the ISU game last night gave me reasons to be optimistic. AA is a very erratic passer. He his some nice throws but overall was inconsistent and inaccurate. I don't think against Iowa's front 4 AA will have the time to throw that he had against NIU. ARob is a solid RB but as Jon pointed out but, aside from one huge run, he had a pedestrian night against a D that isn't nearly as solid as Iowa's.

This will be a hard fought game but Iowa has way too many weapons on offense to be contained by Iowa State's defense. That being said, it will be closer than last years game but Iowa will still emerge victorious.

Last edited:

I didnt say it wouldnt be a tough game. My only point is Iowa hasnt even played yet so saying that it will be a tough game is only based on one game by ISU...probably not enough info available to make that call

It is your opinion tho and you may be right

On a different note how brutal was that FSN broadcast? The announcers were terrible and that sideline reporter is something else.

My favorite part was when NIU finally scored a TD and the color guy kept screaming "Grady just grew up in that drive", "Grady is growing up in front of our very eyes"

Good job FSN

My humble opinion saw an NIU team that was simply gone...didn't show up. They finally to start the 2nd half started to show something but just lost focus constantly. THeir QB is terrible...and I mean terrible. ISU won the game at home like they should against an inferior opponent. They gave up yard rushing way too easily at times, Arnaud is still Arnaud as Jon pointed out. Hard to get a read on how good or bad ISU is. I am so needing to see how we come out and look on Saturday, easier to compare and see what my thoughts are about the battle.

I agree, its pretty hard to tell how good or bad they are. That NIU team wasnt as solid as everyone was saying imo. I'm sure clone fans are pretty excited though, and rightfully so, that was a game they needed to win with us and Utah up next.

On a different note how brutal was that FSN broadcast? The announcers were terrible and that sideline reporter is something else.

My favorite part was when NIU finally scored a TD and the color guy kept screaming "Grady just grew up in that drive", "Grady is growing up in front of our very eyes"

Good job FSN

The announcer called NIU's 2nd RB "Spann" every time he got a carry.

Dude, they look nothing alike and their numbers aren't even close.

I thought AA was also erratic in his passing. Iowa should be able to get some pressure on him. I see a game like last year. Maybe not as many points, but one where our defense rattles him into a few picks.

Their offense looks genuinely dangerous, but I expect Iowa to be much, much better than them on defense and on special teams. I don't think the Cyclones can reliably expect to upset good teams on the road until they improve their kicking game.

Anything is possible, though, especially in a rivalry game.

Latest posts