Lions promote former Michigan QB Jake Rudock from practice squad to active roster

.....it was luck really.
Luck was not a factor. It was just plain smart. The graduate loop hole is a great thing - Wilson, Rudock, Coluzzi... Those were smart decisions by the respective coaches who picked them up. My view of things now is that under Ferentz a QB has his best year the year he earns the starting position outright. Not necessarily the best statistically, but in the pure football sense-winning games. Banks, Tate, Stanzi, Vandenburg, Rudock, Beathard.

2002 11-2 Banks (sr)
2004 10-3 Tate (so)
2009 12-2 Stanzi (jr)
2011 7-6 Vandenburg (jr)
2013 8-5 Rudock (jr)
2015 12-2 Beathard (jr)

My thought is that we will return a pretty solid football team next year but with a lot of questions @ QB. If KF could find an eligible transfer graduate QB the Hawkeyes would likely be pretty successful. Instead I think we are likely to have to suffer through some sort of QB controversy for the usual reasons and 2018 will be the more successful year. This may be the root cause of the KF pattern of success that is often discussed here. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

He spent most of his college career with the University of Iowa. There he received a majority of the preparation that helped him get to the level of being an nfl quarterback. The football program at the University of Iowa excels in developing players for professional football.

He spent most of his college career with the University of Iowa. There he received a majority of the preparation that helped him get to the level of being an nfl quarterback. The football program at the University of Iowa excels in developing players for professional football.

Skill players on offense?

Kevin Kasper, Ladell Betts and Shonn Greene, and all though pass catching tight ends are not technically considered skill players I think they should be. It takes a lot of skill to block an NFL caliber defensive end on one play, and on the next catch a pass in traffic. Iowa has had several tight ends play in the NFL also.

Absolutely! We have seen tons of player development at Iowa over the years. It's just that the skilled positions are harder to develop. There's no doubt a ceiling for development of skill vs. the possession of plain old un-coachable skill. Really wish Iowa could land more of the naturally gifted skill athletes but it, obviously, isn't easy. Competition is fierce. Move a huge metro area to Iowa and you'd be amazed at how great Iowa would look at developing skilled players.

You are so adorable.

Are we really going back to the love/hate Jake thing. If CJ would have transferred to Michigan this year he would have had a good year. One team develops qb's and another hinders them. I don't get the I told you so crowd.

The Hawkeye family has invested in a new bus for hopeless fusspots. Free treatment will be offered to OCD sufferers at university hospital, as part of a series of new initiatives on "coping with loss". Hawkeye fans are scheduled right after the wave of Clinton supporters thins out, and before reality starts to sink in among educated Trump voters.

wambulance_by_spazgurl.jpg

The Hawkeye family has invested in a new bus for hopeless fusspots. Free treatment will be offered to OCD sufferers at university hospital, as part of a series of new initiatives on "coping with loss". Hawkeye fans are scheduled right after the wave of Clinton supporters thins out, and before reality starts to sink in among educated Trump voters.

wambulance_by_spazgurl.jpg

Speaking of which, I think half of Hollywood tweeted they would leave the country if the rubes in the Midwest didn't vote the way they told them to.

So, to Hollywood: Why are you still here?

In the game I saw Michigan's protection was not that great, all though the Iowa pass rush was very good also. So they could have just looked bad that one week because Iowa is that good.

Since they did not play last year I would not know for sure, but I would imagine that they played many of the same offensive lineman last year that they played this year. I would take the Iowa offensive line ahead of them.

The biggest difference was Mich. could protect him better than Iowa and they had better talent to throw to.

Let's think about this for a second.

Michigan wins 10 games (3rd in the east)

Iowa wins 12 games (1st in the west)

So who was better in 2015 . . . and why???

Was CJB better than Jake???

If Jake really was a product of s system that surrounded him with talent, why is he getting a shot in the NFL??

If Jake somehow becomes a starter in the NFL does that mean he took his Michigan team to 10 wins and a bowl victory? Or the team/HeadCoach took a mediocre QB along for the ride to a successful season??

So many questions.

Jake was the same qb at Michigan as he was at Iowa. Exactly the same only he had a few more athletes around him. It's hilarious that people think Harbaugh made him a great qb. CJ could start at Michigan tomorrow and look good with those athletes. I was a Jake guy and I watched his games. He played ultra conservative and checked down a lot there too.

Jake was the same qb at Michigan as he was at Iowa. Exactly the same only he had a few more athletes around him. It's hilarious that people think Harbaugh made him a great qb. CJ could start at Michigan tomorrow and look good with those athletes. I was a Jake guy and I watched his games. He played ultra conservative and checked down a lot there too.

That brings us back to the question. He wasn't gonna be drafted if he stayed at Iowa. So the only reason he was drafted was because he played at Michigan??

I don't know. The NFL spends a lot of time and effort to evaluate these guys. If the only reason CJB is struggling is cuz Iowa doesn't have Michigan talent, then why did he accomplish more than a draft pick surrounded by better talent in 2015 ? And does that mean he will get drafted next spring?

It's almost comical watching people on this forum downplay the current coaching staff's inability to develop at the QB position. It's been a weakness for KF his entire tenure. He can't be good at everything, QB just isn't his forte. The damning part is that he hasn't brought anyone in to assist. So we see QBs regress time after time.

That's not necessarily true. Kyle McCann, Brad Banks, Nathan Chandler, and Ricky Stanzi all had their best year statistically as seniors. This includes a Heisman Trophy runner-up year for Brad Banks. Drew Tate was dealing with injuries his senior year that slowed him down a lot.

Latest posts