Lions promote former Michigan QB Jake Rudock from practice squad to active roster

Rudock with Harbaugh = drafted

CJB with KF = not drafted

One guy cares about scoring.

The other guy cares about field position.
I bet Jake really feels blessed that he was able to transfer to Michigan. Probably not how he was feeling when CJ was announced as the starter, but life can be funny like that.

Yes, and if they woked on his technique with Mich and the Lions he might have a stronger arm. I really think CJ can look a lot better with a better OC and passing game. CJ made some great throws his soph year and last year. A real QB coach would have him putting more air under his long balls especially if he has the receivers to run to the ball.

But but but, I thought theRuddock sucked and would never make it in the college, much less a shot in the NFL.

I guess his arm miraculously became strong enough for the NFL.

Rudock showed expected, not drastic, improvement at Michigan.

His completion ptgs: 59.0, 61.7, 64.0
Y/A: 6.9, 7.1, 7.8
AY/A: 6.2, 7.3, 7.7
Rating 126.5, 133.5, 141.5

Too many people are blinded by their hatred.

A better question might be, of those who were so glad to see CJB, how many did NOT either call Rudock a sore loser OR say he would fail at Michigan?

Actually if you were paying attention, quite a few fans were sticking up for Rudock's decision to transfer. He had earned his degree at Iowa. he had earned the right to move on and use his remaining eligibility at a place where he could play.

What most fans were NOT arguing was that Rudock should be starting over CJ. in fact by the end of 2015, there was almost 100% consensus that the coaches made the right call by making CJ the starter at Iowa.

It would be interesting what the reaction would have been if CJ had a year like this year in 2015 instead. Ferentz would have been fired.

A better question might be, of those who were so glad to see CJB, how many did NOT either call Rudock a sore loser OR say he would fail at Michigan?

I said he was the perfect transition guy for Harbaugh. I wasn't alone in saying that several people made that point as well. Not going to lie, I didn't think he was going to make an NFL roster. Harbaugh is really good at developing quarterbacks he landed in the ideal situation.....it was luck really.

Actually if you were paying attention, quite a few fans were sticking up for Rudock's decision to transfer. He had earned his degree at Iowa. he had earned the right to move on and use his remaining eligibility at a place where he could play.

What most fans were NOT arguing was that Rudock should be starting over CJ. in fact by the end of 2015, there was almost 100% consensus that the coaches made the right call by making CJ the starter at Iowa.

It would be interesting what the reaction would have been if CJ had a year like this year in 2015 instead. Ferentz would have been fired.

It's no mystery why 2015 looked one way and 2016 looked another way.

Go back and watch the games. Offense and defense was more aggressive and open-minded last year. Please don't make me repeat the reason for that being true.

I said he was the perfect transition guy for Harbaugh. I wasn't alone in saying that several people made that point as well. Not going to lie, I didn't think he was going to make an NFL roster. Harbaugh is really good at developing quarterbacks he landed in the ideal situation.....it was luck really.

I also felt that way, although I had no clue they would end up with 8/9 wins, let alone 10.

I still maintain that much of his success at Michigan had to do with having a whole Spring to recuperate. No contact, thus no having to be "tentative/protective". By the time he got to practice in Ann Arbor he was probably dying to get on the field.

It's no mystery why 2015 looked one way and 2016 looked another way.

Go back and watch the games. Offense and defense was more aggressive and open-minded last year. Please don't make me repeat the reason for that being true.

<<Please don't make repeat the reason for that being true>>

I would never subject myself--or the rest of this board--to THAT! :)

I think one key component, and it's definitely missing this year, was communication. Staff, players, et.a.l., were seeing things on the field and finding common, team-oriented solutions. This year? Not so much.

I also felt that way, although I had no clue they would end up with 8/9 wins, let alone 10.

I still maintain that much of his success at Michigan had to do with having a whole Spring to recuperate. No contact, thus no having to be "tentative/protective". By the time he got to practice in Ann Arbor he was probably dying to get on the field.

I get what you are saying......but I still think luck was involved he happened to be the right guy at the right time and he was smart enough to take advantage. That's just life.

I still felt Ruddock had some talent and was a good QB, but watching the games that we had the one thing with Ruddock that I stand by was I don't think he was going to go out and win a game for you if he had to. CJ I thought had that ability with some of his more aggressive check downs and his legs. The thing that helped Ruddock at Michigan is was the talent that surrounded him didn't require him to go out and win the game if he played well.

Even though we have had an up and down year I still would feel that when the game comes down to making a play to win I would rather have CJ than Ruddock. The thing that bugged me about Ruddock and bugs me about other players is when they get their spot taken away from them they just take their ball and go home. Go out and earn the spot back. Obviously it worked out well for both guys and I wish Ruddock the best. He was a good hawk and got his degree.

Latest posts