Linn-Mar Wrestler

Don't know if it was the right decision, but I respect his right to make it. Just like I respect her right to wrestle. I personally don't agree with girls being allowed to wrestle boys, but since there's not enough to have their own sport, this will have to do.

You only have a few times to wrestle in the best state wrestling tournament. Is it really worth "proving a point" when it costs so dearly? I wonder if college coaches will frown on his decision, if in fact he's good enough to wrestle in college.

Call me old fashion, cause I am, but I have to call the BS card on this. Sorry, don't believe in women in the military serving on the frontline or ships and girl wrestlers is wrong. If there isn't enough of them to form their own teams, well there is a reason for that. Btw, just to really **** some people off I thing the WNBA is a joke too.

Don't know if it was the right decision, but I respect his right to make it. Just like I respect her right to wrestle. I personally don't agree with girls being allowed to wrestle boys, but since there's not enough to have their own sport, this will have to do.

You only have a few times to wrestle in the best state wrestling tournament. Is it really worth "proving a point" when it costs so dearly? I wonder if college coaches will frown on his decision, if in fact he's good enough to wrestle in college.
I'm guessing you have some firmly held beliefs that you would risk anything to stand up for. If you have to stand up for those beliefs at some point, I'm guessing you will think that it was worth it.

Call me old fashion, cause I am, but I have to call the BS card on this. Sorry, don't believe in women in the military serving on the frontline or ships and girl wrestlers is wrong. If there isn't enough of them to form their own teams, well there is a reason for that. Btw, just to really **** some people off I thing the WNBA is a joke too.

I don't agree with the women/frontline thing either. Not because there's not a very small minority of women who would do fine, but because you start lowering the standard to get women to pass. Go to basic training and you see a big difference in an all male company and a mixed one.

Not sure who you would **** off, everybody thinks the WNBA sucks.

Heres a question, Did this girl have a lot of people forfeit matches all year? or did she actually get the record she has by wrestling the guys?

Believe whatever you want, but the kid made the right decision.

Can you explain why it is the right decision? I'm fine with him making the decision. It only hurts himself. I think it's a joke personally, but it wasn't my choice. I'm just curious why you say that it's the 'right' decision.

Can you explain why it is the right decision? I'm fine with him making the decision. It only hurts himself. I think it's a joke personally, but it wasn't my choice. I'm just curious why you say that it's the 'right' decision.
The reason it was the right decision is because he stood up for what he believes in. I'm guessing there are things that you would do, or refrain from doing, that require a sacrifice.

The reason it was the right decision is because he stood up for what he believes in. I'm guessing there are things that you would do, or refrain from doing, that require a sacrifice.

He really had no choice this time around... He made his choice earlier in the year when he sat out against female wrestlers. He would have looked really foolish if he sat out before but throws his beliefs out the window this time around for a chance at a state title.

i'm guessing he stood up for, ultimately, what his parents believe in, and he is parroting same. And that is fine. I do agree with his statement that he was put in an awkward position. He should have just come out and pinned her and got it done with, IMO.

I do think it is unfortunate that he forfeited. A lot of work went into him getting to the position he was in.

I heard this gal got pinned in her second match. can anyone confirm same?

Personally the only thing I see is a joke is letting the women wrestle in a mans sport that is where the JOKE is.

I talked to several high school and NCAA wrestlers this morning down at Wells. Not ONE expressed any reservations about wrestling a girl or having girls wrestle in general. In fact, they were quite supportive of both girls and were openly cheering for Megan Black, as she is the only one that had the opportunity to wrestle today.

I guess I shouldn't find it surprising that our youth are more intellectually advanced than many of their elders.

The problem as I see it is that in order to win you have to kick a girl's butt and embarass her. Not cool in my book.

BTW I don't think that today's youth might be smarter but that has nothing to do with right and wrong.

I think you're missing the boat here a bit. I don't think he was trying to prove a point at all. He has a set of beliefs that are more valuable than a state title. That's not proving a point beyond proving to himself that his beliefs are important.

I give the young man a great deal of respect that in a society so motivated by and focused on wins and success, he has taken the road less traveled and followed his beliefs.

I think you're missing the boat here a bit. I don't think he was trying to prove a point at all. He has a set of beliefs that are more valuable than a state title. That's not proving a point beyond proving to himself that his beliefs are important.

I give the young man a great deal of respect that in a society so motivated by and focused on wins and success, he has taken the road less traveled and followed his beliefs.

agreed.

Of course there is. So it was the right choice for him. You're statement came across as a blanket statement like it was the right choice in general.

a. from what I was told by someone close to the situation, it was the parents decision, not so much the young man's.

b. Interesting in how many when it is fundamentalist Christians making an asinine decision, it is heroic or noble, but when it comes to other religions they are just fringe extremists, or called much worse.

c. That decision hurt the team today. That never goes over well in my book.

******* you have lived up to your moniker by demogoging a group of people that you disagree with.

To me, he made the right choice. Wrestling a woman would be awkward and for as young as the kid is, he will get another shot next year and the year after to make title run.