Linderbaum

Can you get an insurance policy that pays the $15-ish million signing bonus he would get as a Top 10 pick? I honestly don't know.

Hockenson wanted to come back for another year. The Iowa coaches and others explained to him what he might be passing up as a Top 10 pick. He left.

Not saying that's what Tyler will or should do. He should do what he wants to do after looking at the numbers.

Also, this is a draft void of Top-level QBs. That would change next year with Stroud and Young coming out.
Also...when's the next time you're doing a mailbag? One day a week now I have an hour one-way commute and those pods are always good.

If you posted for questions here you'd get some good ones I bet. If you don't want to mess with posting or checking threads PM me and I'll start one whenever you get ready and compile it into a single list for ya.

I suppose you probably could as long as you could pay the premium. I wonder if you'll start to see that kind of thing incorporated into NIL deals. Not paying $15 million, but people paying for insurance policies...
I think it was King who took out a 5-10 mil policy when he came back and I think it cost him around $50k.
I also believe the NCAA allows schools to help loan or set up loans for kids to pay for the premium.

Also...when's the next time you're doing a mailbag? One day a week now I have an hour one-way commute and those pods are always good.

If you posted for questions here you'd get some good ones I bet. If you don't want to mess with posting or checking threads PM me and I'll start one whenever you get ready and compile it into a single list for ya.

I did a mailbag on Tuesday. I think I've recorded one every Tuesday since August, maybe?

I would like to solicit questions here but the people who pay me for the podcast are at a different Hawkeye site. I don't want to ruffle feathers with the HN bosses.

HN bosses decided to cut my message board responsibilities and podcasts here when they cut me back. I took the mailbag with me and started the podcast with Scott Dochterman over there.

It's all very strange and something I'll probably never fully get used to. I wouldn't have imagined having several part-time jobs in the business when I started at the Press-Citizen in '97. Of course, I expected to be in newspapers forever and have been out of them since teaming up with Jon Miller in '03.

It's all very strange and something I'll probably never fully get used to. I wouldn't have imagined having several part-time jobs in the business when I started at the Press-Citizen in '97. Of course, I expected to be in newspapers forever and have been out of them since teaming up with Jon Miller in '03.
How do you feel about the NYT buying the Athletic?

Seems similar to me in how AOL bought out websites only to run them completely in to the ground by forcing them to follow out of date technologies and processes.

How do you feel about the NYT buying the Athletic?

Seems similar to me in how AOL bought out websites only to run them completely in to the ground by forcing them to follow out of date technologies and processes.
Not a fan.

Gannett and other corporate media entities killed smaller papers like the Press-Citizen, Ames Tribune and Burlington Hawkeye.

It's sad. I think communities benefit from a local news sources. That's why it works at weekly papers in small Iowa towns like West Branch, Kalona, etc.

I'm probably just the old guy yelling at the clouds.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Not everyone is motivated by money as their number 1 wish, nor playing pro over college ball. It is possible, and it has been done. As an old guy, I think he is thinking wisely. 3 years in college you love vs a dozen richly paid years doing a job in the Pro's? No brainer for me but I'd take out a policy for sure, and if he stays of course he will. Money don't buy happiness, but Pro football can pay you well for a rough old age and an early death.

I did a mailbag on Tuesday. I think I've recorded one every Tuesday since August, maybe?

I would like to solicit questions here but the people who pay me for the podcast are at a different Hawkeye site. I don't want to ruffle feathers with the HN bosses.

HN bosses decided to cut my message board responsibilities and podcasts here when they cut me back. I took the mailbag with me and started the podcast with Scott Dochterman over there.

No worries. I’ll keep an eye on twitter then.

Not a fan.

Gannett and other corporate media entities killed smaller papers like the Press-Citizen, Ames Tribune and Burlington Hawkeye.

It's sad. I think communities benefit from a local news sources. That's why it works at weekly papers in small Iowa towns like West Branch, Kalona, etc.

I'm probably just the old guy yelling at the clouds.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I don't know how many newspapers and such would have survived without Gannett buying them all up and putting everything under one roof. The paper business really went to shit quickly once the internet came around.

After winning the Remington award, he has done just about everything he can individually as a player. With a million dollar job waiting for him, this seems like a no-brainer.

Not sure if he has degree yet, but he can always finish that later if that's important to him. Idk, some kids just enjoy their college friends and the whole college experience, and money does not seem that important to him.

I guess he can cherish those memories, but later in life, he may wish he had that money he passed up.
What money would he be passing up?

I don't know how many newspapers and such would have survived without Gannett buying them all up and putting everything under one roof. The paper business really went to shit quickly once the internet came around.

There would be more newspapers today than without Gannett. Sure, it probably saved a few that may have otherwise gone under. But they and the other corporate buyers gutted them to where they couldn't cover the news as well as need be.

Gannett was also VERY slow to react to the internet and thought it would be OK without partaking. It dragged its feet for way too long. And it wasn't alone. I was still in the newspaper business then and sat in on meetings when the Gannett bean counters came to give us rah-rah speeches.

If interested in the topic, here's a good book. I read it when it came out in 2021. I joined Jon at HN two years later.

After winning the Remington award, he has done just about everything he can individually as a player. With a million dollar job waiting for him, this seems like a no-brainer.

Not sure if he has degree yet, but he can always finish that later if that's important to him. Idk, some kids just enjoy their college friends and the whole college experience, and money does not seem that important to him.

I guess he can cherish those memories, but later in life, he may wish he had that money he passed up.
Time to show him the money. Don't risk it. See Ott, Drew (granted that he wasn't the pro prospect Lindy is)

I have no doubt he wants to come back. It was an excruciating decision for Hockenson but he had to go.
TJ has been banged up in his pro career. It turned out to be a smart move for him.

He needs to stay healthy next year because his rookie deal will be up (where does the time fly?)

I'm actually friends with WB's editor and we've had many convos on this. He's award winning and loves his job and loves his community.

Nah, bruh, if you have aspirations to play pro and you are a first round NFL pick or a lottery NBA pick and you don't leave you are flat out wrong. Now again, I will concede there are dudes who don't want to play pro, that's fine, but if your goal is to play pro and you don't strike while the iron is hot, you are simply wrong. There are coaches like the guy who talked Sullinger at Ohio out of going into the draft and those sorts of people are morally reprehensible. I guess I could see one other situation to stay and that is where you are the consensus number 1 and you will refuse to play for the team with the #1 pick like Bo Jackson refused to play for Tampa.

All guys have limited reps, but guys who are huge have even more limited reps. No sense in burning those up in college.
So Scherff was wrong to do what he did in your eyes? I'm just assuming from my desk here but I doubt he has any regrets about playing his senior year at Iowa when he coulda left a year early and been a 1st rounder if he had.

If Linderbaum prioritizes coming back 1 more yr over the risk of getting hurt (after just getting nicked up in bowl game) Then that's on him. If he's comfortable with it and happy then who's to say he's 'wrong' not knowing if he's going to get hurt ahead of time? If he prioritizes his happieness over NFL atm yet still wants to go to the NFL in a year after that then ok.

It's a gamble of sorts sure and everyone has a different comfort level of risk tolerance. Scherffs being what his was doesn't make him wrong. Lindy wouldn't be either if that's what he decides to do. I say there's a good chance he goes pro. I just won't be surprised if he doesn't since he hasn't yet

So Scherff was wrong to do what he did in your eyes? I'm just assuming from my desk here but I doubt he has any regrets about playing his senior year at Iowa when he coulda left a year early and been a 1st rounder if he had.

If Linderbaum prioritizes coming back 1 more yr over the risk of getting hurt (after just getting nicked up in bowl game) Then that's on him. If he's comfortable with it and happy then who's to say he's 'wrong' not knowing if he's going to get hurt ahead of time? If he prioritizes his happieness over NFL atm yet still wants to go to the NFL in a year after that then ok.

It's a gamble of sorts sure and everyone has a different comfort level of risk tolerance. Scherffs being what his was doesn't make him wrong. Lindy wouldn't be either if that's what he decides to do. I say there's a good chance he goes pro. I just won't be surprised if he doesn't since he hasn't yet

I don't recall where scherff was projected, but he moved up to 5. There are certain spots where it definitely makes sense to stick around because you'll double or even more than double your money if you can move into the top 5 or 10. Scherff was definitely in that pool. Unfortunately, playing center, I do not believe Linderbaum can materially move up.

For a board full of Hawk fans, man there is an elephant in the room that has not been brought up.

Maybe the reason he wants to come back is unfinished business. As much as the fanbase has been bagging on the coaches and especially BF (and its justified), at one point this team was ranked 2nd in the country. We finished with 10 wins and were a couple bounces here or there from that being 11 or 12.

--The West doesn't look any tougher than it normally looks.
--The Defense has a lot returning and is always pretty stout of late.
--On offense, if TL returns, the OL will be much improved. It got better as the year went and pretty much everyone of note is back and there are backups. Expect 10 pounds of muscle on each of them as well.
--I think we saw in the bowl games that while Goodsen was a great back, the one-cut power backs that were backing him up are probably a better fit for this offense.
--All of the starting skill players are back for the most part.
--For better or worse, we have experienced, upper-classmen QBs back. They can't fucking get any worse. If the running game gets going, the QB play will improve. That is a football truth at any level.

With Moss and if TL were returning, along with no surprise declarations or transfers, why wouldn't Iowa be the preseason pick to win the West? Preseason Top 15ish.

Maybe this young Iowa kid wants to lead this team to where it has not been? If so, I will buy a dozen of whatever he is selling under NIL. Go Hawks!!!!

I don't recall where scherff was projected, but he moved up to 5. There are certain spots where it definitely makes sense to stick around because you'll double or even more than double your money if you can move into the top 5 or 10. Scherff was definitely in that pool. Unfortunately, playing center, I do not believe Linderbaum can materially move up.
Yeah he did but he was going to be a 1st rounder had he came out. WIth zero guarantees of improving his draft slot by coming back with the same risk of injury that they all have. Lindy is a top 15 guy I doubt a center cracks the top 12 that seems like the ceiling but that just depends on how the draft order falls.