Lil Debbie Natty Champions 2024...

This is like when I was a kid/young adult when the cold war was coming to an end.
Glasnost and Gorbachev.
I thought, "Geez, the Soviet Union is going to start living like the rest of the first world. They've got so much access to natural resources. Oil. They're still an empire and will embrace swathes of capitalism and prosper with all those natural and human resources and America will no longer be relevant."

Yah. At some point I realized all the baked in problems that exist that will prevent that from happening in my lifetime. That's what I always think about when I hear about recruiting classes or transfers at places like Nebraska.

(reposting, for some reason, this posted to the wrong thread)

Also let’s consider the circumstances. He’s a legacy kid so the dad is a factor. Georgia’s QB is coming back so he would have to sit a year.

He goes to nebby for a bunch of money and gets to start day 1.

Plus, he could just transfer to Georgia next year if he wants.

Also let’s consider the circumstances. He’s a legacy kid so the dad is a factor. Georgia’s QB is coming back so he would have to sit a year.

He goes to nebby for a bunch of money and gets to start day 1.

Plus, he could just transfer to Georgia next year if he wants.

In the modern era I would presume that he is going to transfer. Maybe he rolls in and starts, say he sucks, they will bench him and he'll want to transfer. Now say he's reasonably good, then his tape just becomes an audition for the 10 blue bloods who will want a QB. Either way there is a high probability of him leaving after year one unless they go like 10-2 and more NIL cash comes his way.

Even freak outlier QBs aren't usually good as freshmen. Trevor Lawrence needed Kelly Bryant to save his ass in that game against Texas A&M. Lawrence had a first round tailback behind him, plus Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross (who would have been a first rounder had he not gotten hurt) at WR. The level of talent you have to have as the supporting cast to make a freshman QB good is extremely high. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just that you better have at least one NFL caliber wideout and an absolutely stellar tailback if you think you're gonna win double digit games with a freshman QB.

What confluence of events would make you feel as giddy as Huskers are feeling right now? What if we hire Chryst as OC/QB coach, Philbin as OL coach, DeJean, Castro, Higgins, Lachey, and All announce they are coming back, Dr. James Andrews calls a press conference to announce that McNamara's knees are indestructible, and Kaleb Brown and Seth Anderson release a Tik Tok of them racing a 40, both clocking ATs under 4.3?

What confluence of events would make you feel as giddy as Huskers are feeling right now? What if we hire Chryst as OC/QB coach, Philbin as OL coach, DeJean, Castro, Higgins, Lachey, and All announce they are coming back, Dr. James Andrews calls a press conference to announce that McNamara's knees are indestructible, and Kaleb Brown and Seth Anderson release a Tik Tok of them racing a 40, both clocking ATs under 4.3?
1703036539093.png

They can’t even make a bowl. They think their ceiling is Georgia but it’s more like Iowa. They will never be a powerhouse again.
Yahoo!!

No, because KF will still be KF.

Unless LeVar is brought in as coordinator post-haste, Iowa football is doneski in a couple years. Believe me or don't believe me. The era we've experienced for the last 44 years is over.

Unless LeVar is brought in as coordinator post-haste, Iowa football is doneski in a couple years. Believe me or don't believe me. The era we've experienced for the last 44 years is over.
Depressing but true. And yet, some of my favorite Hawkeye memories were of when the team was nothing special. ‘92 blocked FG vs Wisconsin for example

I don't believe you, at least not entirely. I think the sustained success over the last 44 years was highly unlikely, so the odds of it continuing for another 2 decades are low. However, I don't believe that Coach Woods moving into the OC spot is the make or break decision. I think no matter the OC hire, the end of the KF era will continue to be solid. We have averaged over 9 wins per year for the past decade, maybe that drops a bit with the dissolution of the B1G West, but all the things that have made us strong are still in place, and the offense cannot get worse than it has been the past 3 years.

What comes after KF will be determined entirely by the hire, and as you have said, that is a major crapshoot. I would be all for rolling the dice with LeVar woods at that point, but there is no guarantee that he will be able to continue this, and it is unrealistic to think no one else would be capable of doing as well.

Your undying faith in Woods as the only possible savior of Iowa football is befuddling indeed. First, the special teams were not special the entire season. Yes, Taylor was amazing, but I don't think it is because Woods taught him how to lift his leg right. The field goal kicking was a mess at times and we saw some bad breakdowns in coverage late in the year.

That all said, I am not opposed to the idea of Woods being a HC in waiting. He sounds like a talented young coach on the rise. Do we know he would flourish at Iowa? No. But, he might.

What confounds me is how you seem to believe that he is the only candidate that can keep Iowa's Fry/KF streak of continued excellence alive. You have stated on this board many times that just about every HC hire is 50/50. For the most part, I agree. Why is Woods such a sure thing and in your mind, and literally the entire field of remaining candidates is just DOA? Just an odd take.

For me, when KF does hang them up, there is a ton of uncertainty. I love the idea of Woods being elevated, keeping the staff mostly intact (meaning keeping Parker) and trying to keep the train moving as is with some tweaks and updating. But, whether that would work any better than starting over with a complete and brand new staff no one, and I mean no one, can know that. 50/50

Your undying faith in Woods as the only possible savior of Iowa football is befuddling indeed. First, the special teams were not special the entire season. Yes, Taylor was amazing, but I don't think it is because Woods taught him how to lift his leg right. The field goal kicking was a mess at times and we saw some bad breakdowns in coverage late in the year.

That all said, I am not opposed to the idea of Woods being a HC in waiting. He sounds like a talented young coach on the rise. Do we know he would flourish at Iowa? No. But, he might.

What confounds me is how you seem to believe that he is the only candidate that can keep Iowa's Fry/KF streak of continued excellence alive. You have stated on this board many times that just about every HC hire is 50/50. For the most part, I agree. Why is Woods such a sure thing and in your mind, and literally the entire field of remaining candidates is just DOA? Just an odd take.

For me, when KF does hang them up, there is a ton of uncertainty. I love the idea of Woods being elevated, keeping the staff mostly intact (meaning keeping Parker) and trying to keep the train moving as is with some tweaks and updating. But, whether that would work any better than starting over with a complete and brand new staff no one, and I mean no one, can know that. 50/50
What hiring Woods would do is keep the KF way of maintaining the ship how it is. He'd probably keep much of the staff. All the relationships with the Iowa HS coaches would be maintained for recruiting purposes. It'd be peace of mind for fans/boosters/donors etc etc that nothing drastically different would be in order most likely.
I'm a fan of that route of doing things I think Woods would be a great HC and CEO of the program. I have my doubts that we'll get to see it happen though. I'm kinda surprised he's still here and another program hasn't offered him the world as a coordinator. Their loss is our gain though.

The way Hayden Fry did what he did here is the reason for the success of this football team over the past 44 years. Period. And KF has in most ways continued that with relatively the same philosophy. A football team with the market size and money of Iowa cannot compete in today's world by doing anything different.

LeVar Woods is the only one left who's dedicated to the HF way of running a football program. If he leaves...and he will...the HF era ay Iowa officially dies. LeVar wants to stay in Iowa City and retire here. Again, believe me if you want, it's literally zero concern of mine. I know the guy and talk to him 3-4 times a year casually at track meets and football games.

But he's obviously not going to stay in IC as a special teams coach. There are a lot of places he could've moved on to but has kept his family in IC, and I'm not the only one who's saying he should be the next OC. Lots of people with a whole lot more football experience and acumen than anyone on this board have too. The dude is going to be an elite level head coach someday...sooner than later.

You say it's befuddling...what's befuddling is having a guy that even non-Iowa people sing praises of, who's loved by his players going back decades now, and who wants to stay at a school rather than chase promotions. And the donors are going to let KF bring Joe Philbin in and let LeVar walk. That's what's befuddling, man.

We are going to be in the exact same boat as Illinois, nebraska, and Purdue in a couple years and it doesn't have to be that way. I'll always cheer for the Hawks first no matter what, but it will be with disinterest like a lot of other people. Wherever woods goes I know I'm going to be rooting for them because that's going to be a football program run the right way, like Fry did it. No need to believe me. I'm cool with it.

I've posted here before that growing up in Iowa at the perfect time Fry came in and the same time Herschel Walker playing at Georgia I have dual aligence. Following both teams a lot Kirby does have the same attitude as KF when it comes to believing in 1) coming here your going to develop. 2) you'll earn your spot by hard work, nothing given. 3) attitude, I want guys that want to be here! 4) Kirby just like Kirk has senior player loyalty. With Beck coming back and was obviously a top 8 college qb and has great pro set qualities that Ragu as I'll call him was sitting the first year. He already jumped from Ohio state to Georgia so you know he's uncommitted and Mommy and daddy jumped him from high school to high school for his exposure. Who knows where he'd even wined up if graduated original high school or national exposure he'd received. Nebby gets nothing proven! He still has to throw interceptions to Iowa so I'm all for it! Plus Georgia still gets back Beck and thier original signee recruited in this class before Ragu was even mentioned to come in the spring. Georgia loses nothing and 2024 national chump fusckers get what? Time will tell I guess.

The way Hayden Fry did what he did here is the reason for the success of this football team over the past 44 years. Period. And KF has in most ways continued that with relatively the same philosophy. A football team with the market size and money of Iowa cannot compete in today's world by doing anything different.

LeVar Woods is the only one left who's dedicated to the HF way of running a football program. If he leaves...and he will...the HF era ay Iowa officially dies. LeVar wants to stay in Iowa City and retire here. Again, believe me if you want, it's literally zero concern of mine. I know the guy and talk to him 3-4 times a year casually at track meets and football games.

But he's obviously not going to stay in IC as a special teams coach. There are a lot of places he could've moved on to but has kept his family in IC, and I'm not the only one who's saying he should be the next OC. Lots of people with a whole lot more football experience and acumen than anyone on this board have too. The dude is going to be an elite level head coach someday...sooner than later.

You say it's befuddling...what's befuddling is having a guy that even non-Iowa people sing praises of, who's loved by his players going back decades now, and who wants to stay at a school rather than chase promotions. And the donors are going to let KF bring Joe Philbin in and let LeVar walk. That's what's befuddling, man.

We are going to be in the exact same boat as Illinois, nebraska, and Purdue in a couple years and it doesn't have to be that way. I'll always cheer for the Hawks first no matter what, but it will be with disinterest like a lot of other people. Wherever woods goes I know I'm going to be rooting for them because that's going to be a football program run the right way, like Fry did it. No need to believe me. I'm cool with it.
I will be just sick if Woods leaves. My fear is that if he would be moved to OC at Iowa, it could be a career ender. That position is a huge target on your back, especially now. He could be a great OC in reality, but a failure in results. So, I have no answer to the question on what to do for Lavar. If Iowa gets a good OC and the guy is successful, maybe move Lavar to his top assistant. Risky? Yup. The bottom line is Lavar is going to be a head coach. How can Iowa best prepare him.

I will be just sick if Woods leaves. My fear is that if he would be moved to OC at Iowa, it could be a career ender. That position is a huge target on your back, especially now. He could be a great OC in reality, but a failure in results. So, I have no answer to the question on what to do for Lavar. If Iowa gets a good OC and the guy is successful, maybe move Lavar to his top assistant. Risky? Yup. The bottom line is Lavar is going to be a head coach. How can Iowa best prepare him.
Ding ding. In addition to Woods being demonstrably unqualified to be the OC (I mean, everyone on this board predicted that BF would suck at developing QBs because he was a center, so somehow a LB makes more sense??????; and he has spent nearly his entire playing and coaching career NOT coaching offense, let alone ever calling a single offensive play in his life), but the OC at Iowa is also a no-win situation. At best under KF, you get the offense to a position of average, similar to KOK. But, more likely than not, KF's handcuffs mean you will have below average offenses, which will only serve to hurt his career arc and make him less attractive as the next HC at Iowa (ya know, kind of like what happened to Brian).

Look, let's say that Woods is, as Fry espouses, the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY that Iowa football has any chance of success in the future, then the only realistic answer is to give him a big raise, name him the Associate HC, and tell him that he is the HC in waiting when KF retires. The first two should hold him in place for a few more years, and the last part is a promise, not a contract. It affords flexibility, if needed.

Promoting Woods to OC is NOT the answer if you want to advance Woods' career and keep him at Iowa. If you are not ready to marry the girl but want to keep that option open, buy her a promise ring and buy yourself time, but don't bang her sister!!!!!

Ding ding. In addition to Woods being demonstrably unqualified to be the OC (I mean, everyone on this board predicted that BF would suck at developing QBs because he was a center, so somehow a LB makes more sense??????; and he has spent nearly his entire playing and coaching career NOT coaching offense, let alone ever calling a single offensive play in his life), but the OC at Iowa is also a no-win situation. At best under KF, you get the offense to a position of average, similar to KOK. But, more likely than not, KF's handcuffs mean you will have below average offenses, which will only serve to hurt his career arc and make him less attractive as the next HC at Iowa (ya know, kind of like what happened to Brian).

Look, let's say that Woods is, as Fry espouses, the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY that Iowa football has any chance of success in the future, then the only realistic answer is to give him a big raise, name him the Associate HC, and tell him that he is the HC in waiting when KF retires. The first two should hold him in place for a few more years, and the last part is a promise, not a contract. It affords flexibility, if needed.

Promoting Woods to OC is NOT the answer if you want to advance Woods' career and keep him at Iowa. If you are not ready to marry the girl but want to keep that option open, buy her a promise ring and buy yourself time, but don't bang her sister!!!!!
It's not a requirement that the OC has to be the QB coach. In fact, Brian only took that role on the last 2-3 years of his time in the OC position. Another coach could take on those duties.

I understand the concern over Woods experience to be an OC. But it is also possible that he has gained the knowledge over the years to be successful. I would be willing to give him the keys so we can keep him in the fold.

All of those things, plus Ken O'Keefe coming back as QB coach and I would feel a lot better.

Latest posts