Lil Debbie Natty Champions 2024...

Your undying faith in Woods as the only possible savior of Iowa football is befuddling indeed. First, the special teams were not special the entire season. Yes, Taylor was amazing, but I don't think it is because Woods taught him how to lift his leg right. The field goal kicking was a mess at times and we saw some bad breakdowns in coverage late in the year.

That all said, I am not opposed to the idea of Woods being a HC in waiting. He sounds like a talented young coach on the rise. Do we know he would flourish at Iowa? No. But, he might.

What confounds me is how you seem to believe that he is the only candidate that can keep Iowa's Fry/KF streak of continued excellence alive. You have stated on this board many times that just about every HC hire is 50/50. For the most part, I agree. Why is Woods such a sure thing and in your mind, and literally the entire field of remaining candidates is just DOA? Just an odd take.

For me, when KF does hang them up, there is a ton of uncertainty. I love the idea of Woods being elevated, keeping the staff mostly intact (meaning keeping Parker) and trying to keep the train moving as is with some tweaks and updating. But, whether that would work any better than starting over with a complete and brand new staff no one, and I mean no one, can know that. 50/50

Don't know what's gong to happen after KF retires.

I do know, as of today, I trust Beth Goetz about 99% more than Barta when it comes to a new FB coach. She had the guts to tell BF bye while pissing off KF in the process. She's an AD I can get behind when it comes to personnel moves.

I do know, as of today, I trust Beth Goetz about 99% more than Barta when it comes to a new FB coach. She had the guts to tell BF bye while pissing off KF in the process. She's an AD I can get behind when it comes to personnel moves.

I feel sexually harassed by your final sentence. Can you please amend it? Thx.

In fairness, during the majority of KF's time with Barta, he had all the leverage in the relationship. The donor class loved KF, and for the first half of his career he could have left Iowa for the NFL, or at least his agent had that in his pocket.

With Beth, she knows, and KF knows, he has no other options. He can either retire or stay on, but no one is hiring him somewhere else at his age. Whether he retires now or in a couple years does not matter, so there was not much KF could do to push back. That, and KF finally lost the donors unconditional support.

I respect what she did here, but honestly, I bet Barta would have done about the same thing once the donor's revolted. As others have stated, the AD is about as courageous as the donors will let them be.

I think Beth will be good as the AD, but right now she is shining because we were all sick of Barta's lack of spine. We will see how long the honeymoon lasts.

We will see how long the honeymoon lasts.

I am a patient man. She has until June 1, 2024 to deliver the following:

1) Bowl win against Tennessee
2) Men's Elite 8 berth
3) Women's hoops natty
4) Wrestling national title

I am a simple man, I'm not asking for the world here, just baseline level of performance along what I had become accustomed to when I was a youngster. I will even settle for a mere Sweet 16 appearance for the men's team, just get us out of the first weekend.

If she fails to deliver that simple list I will start threads on here asking for her interim tag to be changed "former interim" or whatever.

The way Hayden Fry did what he did here is the reason for the success of this football team over the past 44 years. Period. And KF has in most ways continued that with relatively the same philosophy. A football team with the market size and money of Iowa cannot compete in today's world by doing anything different.

LeVar Woods is the only one left who's dedicated to the HF way of running a football program. If he leaves...and he will...the HF era ay Iowa officially dies. LeVar wants to stay in Iowa City and retire here. Again, believe me if you want, it's literally zero concern of mine. I know the guy and talk to him 3-4 times a year casually at track meets and football games.

But he's obviously not going to stay in IC as a special teams coach. There are a lot of places he could've moved on to but has kept his family in IC, and I'm not the only one who's saying he should be the next OC. Lots of people with a whole lot more football experience and acumen than anyone on this board have too. The dude is going to be an elite level head coach someday...sooner than later.

You say it's befuddling...what's befuddling is having a guy that even non-Iowa people sing praises of, who's loved by his players going back decades now, and who wants to stay at a school rather than chase promotions. And the donors are going to let KF bring Joe Philbin in and let LeVar walk. That's what's befuddling, man.

We are going to be in the exact same boat as Illinois, nebraska, and Purdue in a couple years and it doesn't have to be that way. I'll always cheer for the Hawks first no matter what, but it will be with disinterest like a lot of other people. Wherever woods goes I know I'm going to be rooting for them because that's going to be a football program run the right way, like Fry did it. No need to believe me. I'm cool with it.
I've gone on record several times that I would like to see Woods as our next HC. From what I've heard though, Seth Wallace is going to be a great head coach as well and it would really hurt losing both his coaching, game planning, and recruiting. Schools have been after him as their DC (MInny, etc). When he wants a DC job, he will take one on his way to being a head coach.

I am a patient man. She has until June 1, 2024 to deliver the following:

1) Bowl win against Tennessee
2) Men's Elite 8 berth
3) Women's hoops natty
4) Wrestling national title

I am a simple man, I'm not asking for the world here, just baseline level of performance along what I had become accustomed to when I was a youngster. I will even settle for a mere Sweet 16 appearance for the men's team, just get us out of the first weekend.

If she fails to deliver that simple list I will start threads on here asking for her interim tag to be changed "former interim" or whatever.
Unfortunately Penn State has begun a much bigger dynasty than Iowa wrestling ever was under Gable. They are going to make Dan Gable’s run look like that one year the Diamondbacks won a World Series and were never heard from again.

Wrestling is one sport where NIL actually did turn the sport completely on its head.

Didn't Tate start as a true freshman?
Probably answered above. Only John Buetjer has started as a true freshman. Ton of talent but the coaches, and most of the rest of the team just hated the guy. If I had two questions to ask Kirk I'd ask about Buetjer and why Labas didn't play when it was obvious that Hill and Padilla were terrible.

Even Vandenberg after his senior year injury made some sense at the time.

So, no real freshman is every going to start here unless there is run on injuries at QB.

Is your trust based on her extensive history at hiring the prominent and important coaching roles at P5 Big Ten schools? Or is it simply because she fired a coach you hated, and you've conflated your personal, emotional gratification into a skill at which BG has absolutely no experience whatsoever?

Is your trust based on her extensive history at hiring the prominent and important coaching roles at P5 Big Ten schools? Or is it simply because she fired a coach you hated, and you've conflated your personal, emotional gratification into a
Why would you say I hate BF? Have I ever said that or is that just you being you?

In actuality, I don't hate BF but rather feel very sorry for him. His dad put him in a no win situation as the OC. I trust BG because she had the guts to let an under achieving coach go as his dad didn't have the courage to re-assign him last year as the o-line coach and fire Barnett.

If he'd done that I 100% believe BF would still be part of the staff. Now he's gone completely.

Unfortunately Penn State has begun a much bigger dynasty than Iowa wrestling ever was under Gable. They are going to make Dan Gable’s run look like that one year the Diamondbacks won a World Series and were never heard from again.

Wrestling is one sport where NIL actually did turn the sport completely on its head.
Well, you love unfettered and unregulated NIL, so you must be thrilled with the impact that it is having on wrestling! Nothing better than knowing you can just buy a nattie I guess. That is what college sports should be all about.....

Well, you love unfettered and unregulated NIL, so you must be thrilled with the impact that it is having on wrestling! Nothing better than knowing you can just buy a nattie I guess. That is what college sports should be all about.....
I’m fine with NIL. Wrestling is different in that there’s only one program with a ton of money behind it and that just happens to be Penn State. Iowa is a very distant 2nd, and everyone else is a very distant 3rd as the rest of them. It’s the way it is and I still wouldn’t get rid of NIL.

I’m fine with NIL. Wrestling is different in that there’s only one program with a ton of money behind it and that just happens to be Penn State. Iowa is a very distant 2nd, and everyone else is a very distant 3rd as the rest of them. It’s the way it is and I still wouldn’t get rid of NIL.
I would not get rid of NIL either, but I would find a way to regulate it so that teams cannot buy natties in the lesser sports. I mean, there is just too much money and teams in football and basketball for any one team to simply dominate the sport. But, in sports like wrestling, baseball, volleyball, and the other lesser TV sports, one big booster can probably outlay the cash to buy a championship roster. I don't follow wrestling, but it sounds like that is the case.

Sports that remove competitive hope from 95% of their fan base tend to lose fan interest over time. Hi MLB!!

As I have stated before, I see a difference between collectives and true NIL. Caitlyn Clark should be able to make as much money as State Farm will pay her. She has built her NIL and deserves the profit. My problem is boosters just paying for play. That is not what NIL was intended to be. I would not get rid of it, but I would regulate just like they do in the NFL. For those who say this cannot be done, yes it can. Just have the players sign contracts with their schools that limit their income to that income earned from the school. Then, just have the schools pay the kids directly just like any other employee. Full time and fiduciary employee clauses are enforceable.

Special hoodie

No offense, but I beg to differ, at least the first paragraph, The entire time I was enrolled, ,76 to 81, wrestling was spelled “IOWA”.

Ok, 1977 was a whiff, but I lived in Burge that year, and the “smoke” was thicker than the air……..

Latest posts