Lil Debbie Hires Legacy AD

No doubt I'm sure they do those are basketball schools. Gonzaga doesn't even have football. But Barta isn't their AD and him and Iowa was all I was referring to. I mean if the lawsuit he lost and some of the other stuff he's had go on doesn't get him fired then having a poor basketball program combined with a good football program sure wouldn't.
I get your point. Football is the most important thing at most major college athletic departments. But, I can't lump MBB in with all the mostly non-revenue sports. MBB generates a lot of revenue for the department, so I think a really cruddy MBB product and waning attendants could absolutely get an AD like Barta fired. But football is king. I agree.

Last edited:
I get your point. Football is the most important thing at most major college athletic departments. But, I can't lump MBB in with all the mostly non-revenue sports. MBB generates a lot of revenue for the department, so I think a really cruddy MBB product and waning attendants could absolutely get an AD like Barta fired. But football is kind. I agree.
Well he kinda had his mulligan with Licklighter. Had he swung and missed with Fran and things stayed that bad for awhile it's hard telling at what point his seat woulda got hot. Because I was actually surprised Barta fired Lick when he did. I mean he absolutely shoulda have & he probably could have done it a year earlier too but he seems like the reluctant to fire someone kind of AD but he did it. I thought he may have even let him go one more year but attendance had been really sagging and predictably so.

Once an AD has had to make multiple coaching hires that gets problematic. Having Fran who's been there over 10 yrs now and KF he pretty much has things on auto pilot. Plus the other hires he's all made have been home runs so in that way he does deserve his props. Licklighter is the only bad hire he's really made I think off the top of my head

Last edited:
No doubt I'm sure they do those are basketball schools. Gonzaga doesn't even have football. But Barta isn't their AD and him and Iowa was all I was referring to. I mean if the lawsuit he lost and some of the other stuff he's had go on doesn't get him fired then having a poor basketball program combined with a good football program sure wouldn't.

Iowa's also annually ranked last or about last in the BIG conference when ranking the successes of the AD's or programs.

Iowa's also annually ranked last or about last in the BIG conference when ranking the successes of the AD's or programs.
Really? With Iowa ftball and hoops being top 25ish plus level programs lately I wouldn't think that but I'm not up on all the rest. Obviously wrestling is great and womens hoops was good last yr. Beyond that I'm totally in the dark

For the eleventy billionth time, if you think Gary Farta went out, found Fran, and made that hiring decision I have a bunch of swampland in Florida I’d like you to come take a peek at.

That process—official or not—was done and made at the mega donor level. Period.

Just like Kurt Farence’s replacement will be.
And you know this how? Are you one of the College of Cardinals who Barta kneels before to seek their blessing?

While I do not disagree that megadonors have a big voice in major decisions like a new coach, the notion that 6 white guys sat in a basement flashing pictures up on a screen and thowing beer cans at the losers ala Animal House, is pretty far-fetched.

As I understand the process, a search company is typically hired to make contacts with agents and see who has interest. A short list is created. Interviews happen with the AD and perhaps others, and then a decision is made. Donors certainly may have their temperature taken and try to throw their weight around a bit, but the AD hires the coach. There is no Council of the Wealthy that makes this decision and dictates to Barta who to hire.

And, Walt Disney made billions buying swampland, so don't knock swampland. Swampland is great!

Really? With Iowa ftball and hoops being top 25ish plus level programs lately I wouldn't think that but I'm not up on all the rest. Obviously wrestling is great and womens hoops was good last yr. Beyond that I'm totally in the dark
Well, prior to last year.