Lil Debbie Hires Legacy AD

loesshillshawk

They hired Trev Albert's, who cut football at UNO. Has no D-1 AD football experience, man what are they thinking? Love it...living in the past.

They hired Trev Albert's, who cut football at UNO. Has no D-1 AD football experience, man what are they thinking? Love it...living in the past.

Meh, I think experience is overrated in a job like that. I think about a 2 hour seminar covering things like "Hey dumbass, your emails and state issued cell phone records are subject to FOIA," "what not to put in writing" and "The legal department's phone number is [____] and call them immediately under the following 27 circumstances" would probably suffice for "getting up to speed." Then, it's just a matter of gladhanding the fans and begging for money. You'll have to hire a coach every now and then, but the only one that matters is the football coach. I think Trev is a fairly intelligent guy, if he were an alum I'd take him as Iowa AD in a heartbeat.

So…they hired a former player to fire a former player
NIL could give him a new lease on life. He just has to show some minor improvement this year. Nebraska is gonna bring major grease to the table on NIL and Frost is obviously a helluva salesman. "Yeah, sure, there's a million bucks of NIL waiting for you here, kid! Just sign the offer letter!"

Meh, I think experience is overrated in a job like that. I think about a 2 hour seminar covering things like "Hey dumbass, your emails and state issued cell phone records are subject to FOIA," "what not to put in writing" and "The legal department's phone number is [____] and call them immediately under the following 27 circumstances" would probably suffice for "getting up to speed." Then, it's just a matter of gladhanding the fans and begging for money. You'll have to hire a coach every now and then, but the only one that matters is the football coach. I think Trev is a fairly intelligent guy, if he were an alum I'd take him as Iowa AD in a heartbeat.
I agree with everything you've written except what I've highlighted. And I only say that because I just don't know enough about the guy to say either way if I do or not. He could be a great guy for the gig be it he's on the young side. The thing he's got going for him is just as you mentioned with what the AD gig is all about and that's raising $. If Barta can raise a boat load of $ then Alberts will have no problem doing so either.

Question is how long of a leash does Frost have? Does this reset his clock in a way? I mean are their fans even remotely chattering about replacing him or are they delusionally 100% all in on the guy still? I feel like a 4 win or less season should have the guy on the outs. Or hell just not making a bowl game but I'm not a NE fan so my expectations are irrelevant. But it is funny how there's has changed over the years

Regardless of AD nebraska ain't turning this thing around in our lifetimes. They might have a unicorn year once in a while but so does everyone else.

nebraska has lost everything that gave them even the slightest advantage in the 90s, and on top of that they started their own dumpster on fire by firing two guys who never won less than 9 games.

They even stepped on their dicks with the NIL thing, I mean come on...pushing student endorsements for Runzas? Runzas???

The only way they're gonna return to relevancy is by lucking into a Hayden Fry or tom osbourne. And those dynasty days are over. Football isn't going to exist long enough for that to happen again. For clarity, HF’s term in office wasn’t anything close to a dynasty. I mentioned him because he took a turd sammich and turned it into a pretty decent steak dinner.

Ha, they'll never learn, I love it.

I think they want to build an echo chamber where they can maintain the illusion that it's 199x and they absolutely run the Big 8...err, sorry, Big Ten West.

I agree with everything you've written except what I've highlighted. And I only say that because I just don't know enough about the guy to say either way if I do or not. He could be a great guy for the gig be it he's on the young side. The thing he's got going for him is just as you mentioned with what the AD gig is all about and that's raising $. If Barta can raise a boat load of $ then Alberts will have no problem doing so either.

Question is how long of a leash does Frost have? Does this reset his clock in a way? I mean are their fans even remotely chattering about replacing him or are they delusionally 100% all in on the guy still? I feel like a 4 win or less season should have the guy on the outs. Or hell just not making a bowl game but I'm not a NE fan so my expectations are irrelevant. But it is funny how there's has changed over the years

Look, breh, there has literally never been a better time to be a fund raiser for something like an athletic department or art gallery or whatever. The baby boomers are hitting retirement age, thinking about legacies. There's been a sustained 11 year bull market in stonks, bonds and real estate that had a 2 week timeout when the US economy was slated to put up Great Depression level economic numbers. Banks have so much cash they have nowhere to put it.

Patting Barta on the back is like patting a CEO on the back when the stock goes from $50 to $100 when the Dow goes from 10k to 20k. It ain't rocket surgery. Trev ain't walking into the rosy bull market. Now sure he gets the benefit of the economic tailwinds and demographics that GarBar has, but the football program is a tire fire. Barta would be lucky to raise fitty cents under such a scenario, he could never deal with fans who have actual expectations.

I live in Omaha and this has been a real third rail. Some people will never forgive Trev for cutting football and wrestling at UNO, but I honestly don't think the guy had a better choice in front of him. Bringing Division I hockey to Omaha was a revenue generator and they could not add a new men's sport without cutting something. They also used that leverage to move to a DI conference in MBB, which has been a boost for revenue and exposure as well. Wrestling and low division football programs bleed money. He was a villain for doing what was in the overall interest of the athletic program.

I disagree that this is a bad hire or that he is not qualified. He has had a long tenure at UNO. Made some tough choices. Raised a lot of money, and transformed a sleepy, DII, commuter school athletic department into marginal national relevance with DI MBB and hockey. He is a genuinely nice guy by most accounts and clearly is a Nebraska man with deep roots in the two largest cities in Nebraska.

I think this was a good move by the Bugeaters, but he is inheriting a mess and I agree with Fry that Nebbie's dreams of returning to glory are likely gone forever. I suspect that, like Frost, this is a really great hire on paper, he too will struggle to live up to expectations.

Look, breh, there has literally never been a better time to be a fund raiser for something like an athletic department or art gallery or whatever. The baby boomers are hitting retirement age, thinking about legacies. There's been a sustained 11 year bull market in stonks, bonds and real estate that had a 2 week timeout when the US economy was slated to put up Great Depression level economic numbers. Banks have so much cash they have nowhere to put it.

Patting Barta on the back is like patting a CEO on the back when the stock goes from $50 to $100 when the Dow goes from 10k to 20k. It ain't rocket surgery. Trev ain't walking into the rosy bull market. Now sure he gets the benefit of the economic tailwinds and demographics that GarBar has, but the football program is a tire fire. Barta would be lucky to raise fitty cents under such a scenario, he could never deal with fans who have actual expectations.
Bartas been around for like 15 yrs I think. With the lawsuits and controversies he's had to endure the fact he's been able to raise so much $ and improve upon updating Kinnick and CHA the football building itself are the main reasons why he's been able to keep his job this long. All that and KF sticking around this long are why. If KF had left and Barta had to replace him and most likely another hire after that he probably wouldn't have stuck this long.

I don't think the hoops programs wrestling and the rest move the needle enough either direction. It's all on football. If not for that most ADS can't survive losing lawsuits like he did and just keep going like nothing happened.

I kinda thought before last yr that NE might have shown some improvement at getting out of the basement. So much for that... I figured that QB woulda improved and they had a couple playmakers but their line play is still crap. Plus Frost is just such a douche he's an excuse maker to the Nth degree. I'm not sure he can teach football at all frankly and he's certainly not a leader

MBB moves the needle as well. It generates revenue and doesn't cost what football costs. I know there are some Fran Haters on this board, but I think Barta gets a solid B+ for hiring Fran. He has not made a deep tourney run, but he took Iowa from an absolute dumpster fire to a winning tradition in short order, by all accounts runs a clean program, and between his sideline antics and developing the best collegiate center this decade, has made Iowa nationally relevant at times.

Hate on Barta all you want, but an ADs job is to make sure that football and MBB are winning and to raise money. He gets very good grades on all three.

I think Trev is actually in an enviable position, he literally has no where to go but up with respect to MBB and football, and he inherited two coaches that have won big other places. He SHOULD move things forward, but then again Frost SHOULD have not sucked this bad.

Considering the circumstances I don’t think it was a bad hire. He was Nebraska’s 3rd or 4th option and they got the guy willing to say “yes”. Jaime Pollard couldn’t say “no” fast enough.

Maybe Alberts is the one that brings the Cornhusker faithful back to reality. The blueprint becomes similar to Iowa, ISU and Wisconsin instead of trying to live up to the past.

MBB moves the needle as well. It generates revenue and doesn't cost what football costs. I know there are some Fran Haters on this board, but I think Barta gets a solid B+ for hiring Fran. He has not made a deep tourney run, but he took Iowa from an absolute dumpster fire to a winning tradition in short order, by all accounts runs a clean program, and between his sideline antics and developing the best collegiate center this decade, has made Iowa nationally relevant at times.

Hate on Barta all you want, but an ADs job is to make sure that football and MBB are winning and to raise money. He gets very good grades on all three.

I think Trev is actually in an enviable position, he literally has no where to go but up with respect to MBB and football, and he inherited two coaches that have won big other places. He SHOULD move things forward, but then again Frost SHOULD have not sucked this bad.
How I define moving the needle is that if say our basketball program was still at the Licklighter level of bad all of this time. (Fran or no Fran any coach) But Football is doing really really well. Like we just had 3 top 10 finishes in a row kinda good. Barta would be feeling zero heat on his job for that being the case. Because at Iowa that wouldn't matter so much. He'd be hearing about it don't get me wrong to an extent and he'd have to be looking for new coaches but in no way would it have him on the hot seat.

Now if you flip the two sports in those scenarios and he wouldn't survive that. No AD would because it's football and then everything else. Sure it's nice to have the basketball programs wrestling baseball track etc all doing pretty well too. But those just pad the resume they aren't deciding factors

I know there are some Fran Haters on this board, but I think Barta gets a solid B+ for hiring Fran.
For the eleventy billionth time, if you think Gary Farta went out, found Fran, and made that hiring decision I have a bunch of swampland in Florida I’d like you to come take a peek at.

That process—official or not—was done and made at the mega donor level. Period.

Just like Kurt Farence’s replacement will be.

How I define moving the needle is that if say our basketball program was still at the Licklighter level of bad all of this time. (Fran or no Fran any coach) But Football is doing really really well. Like we just had 3 top 10 finishes in a row kinda good. Barta would be feeling zero heat on his job for that being the case. Because at Iowa that wouldn't matter so much. He'd be hearing about it don't get me wrong to an extent and he'd have to be looking for new coaches but in no way would it have him on the hot seat.

Now if you flip the two sports in those scenarios and he wouldn't survive that. No AD would because it's football and then everything else. Sure it's nice to have the basketball programs wrestling baseball track etc all doing pretty well too. But those just pad the resume they aren't deciding factors
Duke, NC, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Kansas all say...................I DISAGREE!!

Duke, NC, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Kansas all say...................I DISAGREE!!
No doubt I'm sure they do those are basketball schools. Gonzaga doesn't even have football. But Barta isn't their AD and him and Iowa was all I was referring to. I mean if the lawsuit he lost and some of the other stuff he's had go on doesn't get him fired then having a poor basketball program combined with a good football program sure wouldn't.

Latest posts