Life after Ferentz

No clue really I am just throwing sh!t out there. (Phil) Parker, Soup, Coach K(can't spell his last name), will be coordinators within the next 3 or 4 years and eventually become HC in waiting similar to Bielima taking over for Alvarez.

I would like to echo xXxHerkyxXx's sentiments. The "But it's Iowa" talk is pure defeatism. Nebraska's population is roughly HALF of Iowa's, and between the years 1973 and 1997, Mr. Davis. Osborne never had a season where he won less than 9 games.

If he stays as long as Papa Joe - I'll be dead by then, so no, I'm not going to worry about it.

Assuming Coach Ferentz's career path continues the way it has thus far, I see Iowa searching for a coach in about 10-20 years. So we should be targeting gentlemen that are currently between the ages of 25 and 35. I want a guy that's smart. Someone that wasn't the greatest athlete of all time but got by on his work ethic and intelligence. Someone that is loyal, was a great teammate as a player, and plain and simple loves the game of football. Here are five semi-random names I think would be great at Iowa 10-20 years from now. There is a 98% chance our next coach is not on this list:
Major Applewhite (though I think he will probably be the next coach at Texas)
Brian Ferentz
Josh Heupel

A couple that fall just outside my age parameters but might work depending on where in the 10-20 year spectrum KF retires:
Ricky Stanzi
Bob Diaco

Guess I will be the obligatory guy to step in. 2002 and 2009 just called and said you're full of ****. On top of that, by your logic Nebraska should have never won any titles.

1. The rules have changed since Nebraska's hay day (namely, the Big 12 wouldn't let them use partial qualifiers anymore, which was their bread and butter).

2. We were NEVER truly in contention for a national title in 2002 or 2009. We lost to Iowa State in 2002, a team that finished 7-5. And even if we'd run the table, Ohio State and Miami would have still been ahead of us. Not to mention the fact that we got curb stomped in the Orange Bowl.

And in 2009, Texas and Alabama were going to meet. We wouldn't have jumped either of them, either.

I want Iowa to win a national title, and I think we'll get one eventually. But let's not pretend that we were truly contending for one in the past 10 years, and don't use Nebraska as an example, as their dynasty is not something that can be replicated by Iowa (we aren't about to start loading up on partial qualifiers).

Last edited:
1. The rules have changed since Nebraska's hay day (namely, the Big 12 wouldn't let them use partial qualifiers anymore, which was their bread and butter).

2. We were NEVER truly in contention for a national title in 2002 or 2009. We lost to Iowa State in 2002, a team that finished 7-5. And even if we'd run the table, Ohio State and Miami would have still been ahead of us. Not to mention the fact that we got curb stomped in the Orange Bowl.

And in 2009, Texas and Alabama were going to meet. We wouldn't have jumped either of them, either.

I want Iowa to win a national title, and I think we'll get one eventually. But let's not pretend that we were truly contending for one in the past 10 years, and don't use Nebraska as an example, as their dynasty is not something that can be replicated by Iowa (we aren't about to start loading up on partial qualifiers).

I realize I am nitpicking here, but that '02 ISU squad was 7-6 with a bad loss at home to a I-AA(FCS) Connecticut team at the end of the year.......later to be smoked by Boise St. in their bowl game to end up with a record of 7-7.

The reason OU has a better shot at championships has way more to do with it's geographic placement than Stoops being a significantly better coach than KF.

Move the state of Iowa into that notch out of Texas and KF is competing for NC's. Move Oklahoma into Iowa's spot and they aren't.

WHERE DO BIG TEN PLAYERS COME FROM?

INSIDE THE CONFERENCE FOOTPRINT
Ohio 410
Illinois 253
Michigan 219
Pennsylvania 158
Indiana 130
Wisconsin 96
Minnesota 87
Iowa 55

OUTSIDE THE CONFERENCE FOOTPRINT
Florida 209
Texas 133
California 88
New Jersey 85
Georgia 59

This is a very good point. Something I have been advocating for awhile now is we need better coaches from pee wee all the way up to HS. It is not like Iowa kids are smaller or slower, or that Iowa has a super tiny population, it is a failure to focus and teach at a young age. I dont like the fact that most HS coaches are teachers and coaches, as it spreads them to thin and the kids get the raw end of the deal. I mean why would you have to have a 4 year degree to teach a kid how to throw or catch a ball? It's not like history or math has anything to do with where the play is at on the field.
Let the teachers teach and coaches coach. Heck many that go on to the pros dont even end up with their degree and they obviously know how to play the game at the next level. So instead of just complaining about it, I am coaching my daughters softball next year and I have a friend who took over the pee wee fb coaching job. Kids are so eager to please, they just need taught the right way, and some focus. So if you want to see more Iowa kids go on to the next level I suggest supporting them when they are younger.

Iowa kids are smaller and slower and the state population is that small. No Pee Wee coach is going to make a kid bigger or faster than his body will allow.

Only way that changes in Iowa is if the population changes. Believe me I live in Sun Belt state about the size of Iowa. However, most Iowa high school varsity athletes would only make JV compared to the kids here.

Of course there are the rare exceptions, Morris, Davis, French, Barnes, etc. But there are radically fewer of those guys in Iowa than others.

Iowa kids are smaller and slower and the state population is that small. No Pee Wee coach is going to make a kid bigger or faster than his body will allow.

Only way that changes in Iowa is if the population changes. Believe me I live in Sun Belt state about the size of Iowa. However, most Iowa high school varsity athletes would only make JV compared to the kids here.

Of course there are the rare exceptions, Morris, Davis, French, Barnes, etc. But there are radically fewer of those guys in Iowa than others.

Ok, first off a pee wee coaches job is to teach the game. They are to young to know what they will grow like. Second "Iowa is not about size", sound familire? Third, you might want to tell Doyle that kids cant be made bigger. Fourth, I see some pretty big kids around here. I mean I think 6'2 and 225 at 16 or 17 is pretty good sized.
BTW, my son was the smallest kid in his class clear up to the 6th or 7th grade (yes even smaller than the girls). But thru proper coaching was the only one who could hit them over the fence. So dont give me that smaller load of bull. It's attitudes like that, that are making these kids underachive.

Last edited:
Tim Dwight may make an excellent head coach someday. Would be a great motivator. I'm not mentioning him as a canidate to replace Kirk.

I'm not aware of what his career path is, but he needs to get started now if head coaching in Div 1 is in his future.

Tim Dwight may make an excellent head coach someday. Would be a great motivator. I'm not mentioning him as a canidate to replace Kirk.

I'm not aware of what his career path is, but he needs to get started now if head coaching in Div 1 is in his future.

He's really diving into green energy, and I think that's what he wants to stick with. He spoke with my sportswriting class in the spring. I didn't think it was possible to be so interested/enthusiastic about green energy.

Not to nitpick but iowa runs the table in 09 the only way iowa doesn't jump texas is if the 2 human polls drop them to #4. The computer polls were going to have bama and iowa. Texas would be lucky if they were #5. SOS was horrible

Not to nitpick but iowa runs the table in 09 the only way iowa doesn't jump texas is if the 2 human polls drop them to #4. The computer polls were going to have bama and iowa. Texas would be lucky if they were #5. SOS was horrible

And you think that humans, who dogged us all year long, would jump us over a media darling in Texas and Colt McCoy? Highly unlikely.

Latest posts