Lick's Conference Call Today

You arent seeing any improvement because you dont WANT to see improvement. They are playing better now than they were at the beginning of the season. I'm not talking about the W's and L's or who they are playing, I'm talking about execution.
Did you watch the NW game...we gave up four straight possessions within the first 5 minutes of the game on wide open back door cuts. You had 9 days to prepare for NW...the back door is their game. Our execution has not improved over the season...our defensive lapses are growing larger. The only time we look like we belong is when we can get the 3 to fall. Come crunch time, or time to really need a big basket we don't have anybody that can create their own shot. I see the games and I see nothing to say improvement is happening.

Did you watch the NW game...we gave up four straight possessions within the first 5 minutes of the game on wide open back door cuts. You had 9 days to prepare for NW...the back door is their game. Our execution has not improved over the season...our defensive lapses are growing larger. The only time we look like we belong is when we can get the 3 to fall. Come crunch time, or time to really need a big basket we don't have anybody that can create their own shot. I see the games and I see nothing to say improvement is happening.

If there were a clapping icon, I would click it.

That is pretty darn spot on.

Also you aren't giving ANY credit to NW either. They are a good team!! Look what we did to them at Carver. You think NW didn't want payback? On top of how this young team still doesn't play well on the road? NW beat Purdue if you don't remember. I watched MOST of the NW game (yes I turned it off....) but I was a defensive coach. So that really is the part I concentrate on when I watch. Our defense was absolutely atrocious at the beginning of the season. We guard a LOT better now than we did. At the beginning of the year, on ball screens it looked like we had ZERO idea on how to guard them. NOW, if its a big on little, our guard does a much better job of getting over the top of the screen, and our help side on the big rolling to the basket is a lot better. At the beginning of the year, we'd get stuck having to switch it and we'd end up with Brennan Cougill guarding a PG. That doesn't happen any more. PLUS, NW is a veteran team that has a coach thats been there for 10 years. It may just happen that they executed pretty well (as well as yes us not being ready to play).

I'm not proclaiming that Lick is the guy at all. But I am willing to be more patient than you two I guess. Doesn't make me right or you wrong.

Last edited:
How many 3's did we hit against Indiana?

You are bringing up a win against a team that actually has won less games than we have.

But, I see where you are going with it :)

As for winning less next year.

I don't know if it is 'athletically possible'. The BT will be down a bit due to graduation and NBA defection.

OSU will be amazing next year.

Other than that, there will not be any real top notch teams. It is OSU, then about 5 other teams for #2. That will be the real battle.

Iowa will be in a dogfight for the 8 seed.

Also you aren't giving ANY credit to NW either. They are a good team!! Look what we did to them at Carver. You think NW didn't want payback? On top of how this young team still doesn't play well on the road? NW beat Purdue if you don't remember. I watched MOST of the NW game (yes I turned it off....) but I was a defensive coach. So that really is the part I concentrate on when I watch. Our defense was absolutely atrocious at the beginning of the season. We guard a LOT better now than we did. At the beginning of the year, on ball screens it looked like we had ZERO idea on how to guard them. NOW, if its a big on little, our guard does a much better job of getting over the top of the screen, and our help side on the big rolling to the basket is a lot better. At the beginning of the year, we'd get stuck having to switch it and we'd end up with Brennan Cougill guarding a PG. That doesn't happen any more. PLUS, NW is a veteran team that has a coach thats been there for 10 years. It may just happen that they executed pretty well (as well as yes us not being ready to play).

I'm not proclaiming that Lick is the guy at all. But I am willing to be more patient than you two I guess. Doesn't make me right or you wrong.

Come on dude, do you really believe the bolded part? NW is sitting at 18-11 with an RPI of 100. They are not going to make the NCAA tournament. That does not add up to being a 'good' team. Their non-conference schedule was horrible. They played four teams that are even in the top 150. Their other seven teams they played had RPIs > than 200. Their best win non-conference was against ND who sits at 68 and probably is on the bubble at best for the NCAAs.

NW has one quality win in conference (Purdue) and three questionable losses including Iowa and PSU.

NW is only a good team when you compare it to itself. NW in the past has been horrible. They are an NIT team at best but with a 7-10 conference record they could be in jeopardy of even making the NIT.

If they had Coble they'd be in the tournament, I have no doubt about it. Yes I believe they are a good team. Ask any coach in the league, they'll tell you the same thing....

If they had Coble they'd be in the tournament, I have no doubt about it. Yes I believe they are a good team. Ask any coach in the league, they'll tell you the same thing....

If we had Kelly, Peterson, Palmer and Tucker (eligible and not suspended) we'd be in the tournament too. But we don't. You can't wish and hope in basketball. One or two key players can make a significant difference on ANY basketball team.

7 wins, 10 losses in league play.

Are you really sure that qualifies them as a "good team"? :)

Ask any coach..they're scared to play NW. I know, I know...you are what your record says you are.

If we had Kelly, Peterson, Palmer and Tucker (eligible and not suspended) we'd be in the tournament too. But we don't. You can't wish and hope in basketball. One or two key players can make a significant difference on ANY basketball team.

I disagree with this 100%.

We had them all on the team last year and there is no chance. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Cero. The Big Goose Egg....of a chance we would have made 'the tournament'.

It comes down to one thing:

The coach.

We had them all on the team last year and there is no chance. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Cero. The Big Goose Egg....of a chance we would have made 'the tournament'.

The coach.

LOL

AZMess:

Try to sugar coat tonight's performance for me, please.

Not to take away from how good Wiscy is at home sometimes, but, this was ZERO improvement. Embarassing. Period.

The coach.

You don't think Kelly would be the difference in turning at least 4 losses into wins this season?

You don't think Kelly would be the difference in turning at least 4 losses into wins this season?

Actually, no. I don't.

Dude, JK was a pretty decent player but not a 'game changer'. Let's be honest.

JK might have kept it below 25 for us tonight, I will give you that.

Actually, no. I don't.

Dude, JK was a pretty decent player but not a 'game changer'. Let's be honest.

JK might have kept it below 25 for us tonight, I will give you that.

You don't Iowa would have won those first two non-con games with Jake in the lineup, or the home games against Michigan and Ohio State? Maybe the home Illinois game or maybe the game at MSU?

Jake may not be game changer, but he was/is the type of player who can create off the dribble and get his own shot, which is something Iowa does not have right now.

Jake was 10 times the game changer of anybody we currently have on the floor...

If Jake hadn't have left, I think things could have been a lot different, he was that important of a player.

AZMess:

Try to sugar coat tonight's performance for me, please.

Not to take away from how good Wiscy is at home sometimes, but, this was ZERO improvement. Embarassing. Period.

Wisconsin is tough at home and even tougher with Leuer and THIS team doesn't play well on the road.

I've said all along we have ups and downs. Tonight was a down.