~Lickliter says he expects to use Tucker Scholarship~

Alexander is a better ballhandler and penetrator than Val was. I loved Val but he was basically a pure 2.

Your probably right and I will certainly defer to those that have seen him play more than the 3 minute clip I saw. That comparison just jumped out at me from the video.

It is funny that you say that. I am starting to feel the same way every time you post as well.

Its been eight years since I last sat on the bench of a game so you're right, I'm probably not as astute as I once was (some would argue I never was).

The one thing I'd like to think is I remember what it was like to BE a coach and tend to cut them some slack. I also have a hard time respecting opinions that are clearly SO one sided.

Your probably right and I will certainly defer to those that have seen him play more than the 3 minute clip I saw. That comparison just jumped out at me from the video.

There's a much longer video I posted the other day from the Marshalltown CC website and it gives a much better idea of how well he handles and penetrates than the shorter video.

I liked his video. Hes only six foot so he may struggle a little like cully does at the rim, but he can shake his Guy and get by for a pull up jumper with ease. No one can really do that on this team.

At the PG spot, Iowa needs someone who can break down his guy off the dribble and then find the open man when the help D comes. More than anything they need a PG to help take some of the burden off of Cully or take over if Cully gets hurt.

Alexander sat for all of what, 2 minutes? He got some ticky tack fouls called on him, some lazy fouls. He doesn't work as hard as he should right now on D due to the amount of energy he expends carrying the offensive burden, a problem he wouldn't have at Iowa.

Are you disputing the fact that Alexander took Williams to the basket at will? Kirkwood ran a soft double at him off ICCC's #22, then continued to do so off #10 when 22 went to the bench. ICCC's 6'8" post not scoring a point was the difference in the game.

Williams is supposed to be able to guard the B10 guards, and he got abused yesterday by Alexander to the point where Kirkwood had to have him guard someone else cuz he was so gassed. Alexander took him left several times, so to imply they made him go left and he couldn't do it, is dead wrong.

KW didn't play bad by any means, he did have quite a few assists, a lot of which came due to ICCC's bigs not getting back on D or #30 for ICCC not getting out to defend the three ball. Having talked to a couple coaches that were there from smaller schools, they felt if it were down to Alexander and Williams to fill Tucker's scholarship, Alexander ended the debate yesterday convincingly.

I liked his video. Hes only six foot so he may struggle a little like cully does at the rim, but he can shake his Guy and get by for a pull up jumper with ease. No one can really do that on this team.

Are you a believer in looking at a players scholly offers from other schools? I know the big time programs miss out on a lot of mid major studs, but when the mid majors are passing on a guy doesn't that raise some red flags? He has been offered by the likes of newly D1 North Dakota, and I just figure there are better players out there even with it being late in the game.

Alexander sat for all of what, 2 minutes? He got some ticky tack fouls called on him, some lazy fouls. He doesn't work as hard as he should right now on D due to the amount of energy he expends carrying the offensive burden, a problem he wouldn't have at Iowa.

Are you disputing the fact that Alexander took Williams to the basket at will? Kirkwood ran a soft double at him off ICCC's #22, then continued to do so off #10 when 22 went to the bench. ICCC's 6'8" post not scoring a point was the difference in the game.

Williams is supposed to be able to guard the B10 guards, and he got abused yesterday by Alexander to the point where Kirkwood had to have him guard someone else cuz he was so gassed. Alexander took him left several times, so to imply they made him go left and he couldn't do it, is dead wrong.

KW didn't play bad by any means, he did have quite a few assists, a lot of which came due to ICCC's bigs not getting back on D or #30 for ICCC not getting out to defend the three ball. Having talked to a couple coaches that were there from smaller schools, they felt if it were down to Alexander and Williams to fill Tucker's scholarship, Alexander ended the debate yesterday convincingly.

That's funny, I can tell you what coaches were there and you can just wait and see what happens. Debate?? Lick was at the game where Kaylon shut Alexander down and they won by twenty. Along with 14 assists. As I have said ONE PLAYER makes his team better which translates to wins and the other player scores maybe they win but when he is in foul trouble because he can't guard the team will suffer. Maybe someone should put together a cute little highlight film of the Williams kid oh that's right his would actually show him playing D1 guarding Mendez Valdez, Lawson, Josh Young not just a highlight film of a kid shooting. I have a feeling Williams will be playing in the big dance within two years while the one Iowa takes if they take just a shooter will be part of what ever you call the part before the rebuilding begins.
As far as the coaches go?? North Dakota wanted Kaylon long ago and he was interested, U indy was there and Drake's Phelps was there.

Last edited:
Are you a believer in looking at a players scholly offers from other schools? I know the big time programs miss out on a lot of mid major studs, but when the mid majors are passing on a guy doesn't that raise some red flags? He has been offered by the likes of newly D1 North Dakota, and I just figure there are better players out there even with it being late in the game.

Having coached at the juco level I feel somewhat competent to speak on how recruiting goes. Most juco players, at least nowadays, end up mid major or rebuilding programs. The elite teams don't need the quick fix because they're recruiting from hs seniors. Every now and then guys will end up at a high major but like it was in the days of Larry Johnson. Plus some schools just choose to stay away from juco kids just because of the baggage that can come along with it.

I haven't seen him play only clips so its hard to really form an opinion but I did like what I saw. So as to your question, if we're talking about a high school kid then yeah I think the other schools that have offered is a decent indicator. Juco? Not as much.

What's funny about it hasbro? Not one thing I said was false. It was all fact.

As far as what Lick thought of the game at Kirkwood when KA still had 20 or so points, they liked enough of what they saw, that much I know. Lick also saw the film when Alexander dropped 43 on Kirkwood.

KW plays on a better team, he doesn't make his team that much better. KA plays on a team with about 1 other guy capable of making a difference past JUCO ball, and that guy didn't score a point yesterday.

As far as who's interested in Kaylon, maybe it's time to think long and hard as to why someone with D1 experience who a select few on here think is this unbelievable PG has no major offers, for the second time through on recruiting. For major conference interest, Alexander has serious interest from Iowa and ISU. And that has just occurred in the last 6 weeks or so.

KW has a D1 pedigree already, is having a nice year for Kirkwood, and can't even get an offer out of the school he wants to play for right down the road? Is his coach not giving positive recommendations to the coaches who are calling? Probably not. Is he not as talented as some would lead you to believe? Probably not. Does he have some immaturity issues that are causing issues? Probably so.

Having coached at the juco level I feel somewhat competent to speak on how recruiting goes. Most juco players, at least nowadays, end up mid major or rebuilding programs. The elite teams don't need the quick fix because they're recruiting from hs seniors. Every now and then guys will end up at a high major but like it was in the days of Larry Johnson. Plus some schools just choose to stay away from juco kids just because of the baggage that can come along with it.

I haven't seen him play only clips so its hard to really form an opinion but I did like what I saw. So as to your question, if we're talking about a high school kid then yeah I think the other schools that have offered is a decent indicator. Juco? Not as much.

Thanks, and ya that does seem to make a lot of sense. I guess I didn't really think that the season is winding down right now as well and that his recruitment could pick up after the conference tournaments get over.

I follow Creighton pretty closely as well and they have relied way to much on Juco's the past couple of years which can also explain for their recent swoon in the standings. I just hope that Lick doesn't have to rely to much on these stop gaps in the future. 6'0 guards are a dime a dozen in the juco ranks and there is a reason for that.

Like I said we will wait and see. Just fair to say I probably have more knowledge of D1 coaches and what they think as I do talk to a couple on a weekly basis and am close friends. I hope for KW's sake he doesn't end up on this hawk team. I also know that Tubby was in conversation with KW personally along with Marquette and then KW cut five tendons an artery and a nerve. They ran away from him. Rick Ray from Purdue was with him all the way thru the state tournament and sat with his parents. Painter and Ray were coming in on Friday and KW signed with Evansville on Wednesday because they stood by him all thru his injury. Remember this post as he will be playing at a what you call major D1 next year and the mids that have offered him are better than the hawks now

I have friends in Sioux Falls telling me he was kicked off his HS bball team?? Anyone here anything like this??

More or less, yes.

There was an incident at his high school; officials are not releasing much info. What is known is that Cody and another starter, Grant Wynia, were not present for the last two regular season games and for a district finals game that his team lost in overtime that sent the winner to the state 1AA tournament.

Jon the Mod essentially has stated that Iowa officials view whatever happened as not significant enough to affect his eligibility or plans to attend Iowa next year. Threads on that topic have been closed.