~Lickliter says he expects to use Tucker Scholarship~

I love how some b!tch and moan and complain that Iowa needs better players, then when there's one on the radar they make comments about "why would a good player want to come here?"...I'm glad I've been gone all week!

I think we will see a name that Iowa fans will recongize when it is all said and done this spring/early summer.

Thanks for the profile, I dont see anybody like John Wall falling into our laps anytime soon, so I guess Kurt will have to do.

Jake kelly again? Nah.
Kurt Alexander? Fine, the coaches have seen them play,and it is their jobs on the line,so I trust them to go with the best guy to give immediate help. I hoped for a real pg,who could really defend,drive,dish and finish, but again, I yield to those whose jobs depend on Iowa making the NIT minimum next year. I presume they will go with someone who can help make that happen. Just seems weird that we once again would go with a Brust,Marble,Gatens,May type player while we only have a single true pg on the roster. We are 3 deep at every position but pg,and our lone pg has a broken bone in his back,but we refuse to grab a true insurance policy...their call.

Jake kelly again? Nah.
Kurt Alexander? Fine, the coaches have seen them play,and it is their jobs on the line,so I trust them to go with the best guy to give immediate help. I hoped for a real pg,who could really defend,drive,dish and finish, but again, I yield to those whose jobs depend on Iowa making the NIT minimum next year. I presume they will go with someone who can help make that happen. Just seems weird that we once again would go with a Brust,Marble,Gatens,May type player while we only have a single true pg on the roster. We are 3 deep at every position but pg,and our lone pg has a broken bone in his back,but we refuse to grab a true insurance policy...their call.

In the link I posted, Alexander is listed as a point guard.. Have you seen/heard otherwise? It seems like maybe he is more of a scorer judging by his stats, but I assume he can play the PG position since that's where he's listed.

I think we will see a name that Iowa fans will recongize when it is all said and done this spring/early summer.

I agree.

I know it was defeated a few months ago, but I'm not sold that the Jake Kelly to Iowa deal is dead. He'd sit out next year and then have a final year to play. That was another name thrown around. No idea, though. When the Jake thing first came up, it was this close to really happening.

Nice story in the Iowa City paper today about Matt Gatens really wanting to turn things around, next year.

There will be NO banking scholarships. It's time to get some help in here for Gatens, May, Fuller to turn it around.

I look for Kaylon Williams to be a Hawkeye very soon.

Is there an online link to this article? I would really like to read it. Thanks

I caught the ICCC/Kirkwood game this afternoon at Iowa Central. Kirkwood won by 9.

Alexander had 30 points, in a variety of ways, most of which were on Kaylon Williams. He blew by KW anytime he wanted to get to the rim, and hit several jumpers on him as well. Alexander would have been in the 40's again had he converted on several other attempts at or near the rim. KW was getting beat consistently by Alexander, and KW got so tired trying to guard him, Kirkwood had to have someone else try and defend Alexander.

Alexander is 6'0" and played the 2 at ICCC out of necessity of what was best for his team. He is very capable of playing point guard, as he did so quite a bit today. He is very quick and athletic, can get to the rim and finish, and has a good outside shot as well. Alexander handles well, is a good passer, and does not panic when opposing guards pressure him.

I caught the ICCC/Kirkwood game this afternoon at Iowa Central. Kirkwood won by 9.

Alexander had 30 points, in a variety of ways, most of which were on Kaylon Williams. He blew by KW anytime he wanted to get to the rim, and hit several jumpers on him as well. Alexander would have been in the 40's again had he converted on several other attempts at or near the rim. KW was getting beat consistently by Alexander, and KW got so tired trying to guard him, Kirkwood had to have someone else try and defend Alexander.

Alexander is 6'0" and played the 2 at ICCC out of necessity of what was best for his team. He is very capable of playing point guard, as he did so quite a bit today. He is very quick and athletic, can get to the rim and finish, and has a good outside shot as well. Alexander handles well, is a good passer, and does not panic when opposing guards pressure him.

Nice first post. Thanks for the info greatone!

I only saw the video clips of him but saw similarities between his game and Val Barnes. Doesn't look like a natural point guard but a scorer with the capability to play the point effectively.

Alexander is a better ballhandler and penetrator than Val was. I loved Val but he was basically a pure 2.

This is consistent with my impression of him from the videos, particularly the long video rather than the "highlight reel." I think he would fit our need very nicely.

One key question: Did you see any Iowa coaches at the game? Did you recognize any other coaches at the game? Perhaps unlikely given games today and tomorrow, but having someone there would further evidence serious interest by Iowa.

The more you post the less you sound like an ex-coach
I just said they will be under the radar guys...I feel they should bank it and have time to try to seal the deal on a difference maker. They are not going to get someone to immediately help right now.

What game were you watchin? I was also there and it is true that the kid had a good game but you stretched it just a touch. The kid got four fouls because he couldn't guard Kaylon and others. He sat and that cost his team from any chance at a win. Once Kirkwood got smart and made him go left, well the game turned and that was it. He can shoot and he is UNDER 6 ft. and he had two assists and one of his rare rebounding games. He did play well but the one who controlled the team was Kaylon. That kid knows the game. You forgot to mention Kaylon had 9 assists along with his 12 pts. By the way a Big 12 team was at Kirkwood wednesday and a PAC 10 team is calling on him. Drake is looking at Alexander. By the way I will give you this, Kaylon AND Alexander in the back court together would be wicked. Wherever he's been Kaylon makes his whole team much better and Alexander is a scorer and I will tip my hat to him on that!

Last edited:
"What game were you watchin? I was also there and it is true that the kid had a good game but you stretched it just a touch. The kid got four fouls because he couldn't guard Kaylon and others. He sat and that cost his team from any chance at a win. Once Kirkwood got smart and made him go left, well the game turned and that was it. He can shoot and he is UNDER 6 ft. and he had two assists and one of his rare rebounding games. He did play well but the one who controlled the team was Kaylon. That kid knows the game. You forgot to mention Kaylon had 9 assists along with his 12 pts. By the way a Big 12 team was at Kirkwood wednesday and a PAC 10 team is calling on him. Drake is looking at Alexander. By the way I will give you this, Kaylon AND Alexander in the back court together would be wicked. Wherever he's been Kaylon makes his whole team much better and Alexander is a scorer and I will tip my hat to him on that!"

So he sat and still had 30....and that's bad why?

It is funny that you say that. I am starting to feel the same way every time you post as well.

I don't think AZMess has ever claimed to be an ex-coach, or to have deep connections in the Iowa basketball program. Loess has done both.

Latest posts