Lickliter Hired as Evansville Assistant

Ole 8 and 3 Earl you doest forget.
Uhhhh...wut?

Pretty sure Earl coached ISU.

My post was replying to his statement that ISU dominated in state recruitment in the seventies. Evans’s there was no other football team to compete with in the seventies. Not Iowa, UNI, Drake, and so on.

giphy.gif

I guess they must like losing then.....boring losing at that.

I had no idea of the coach K and almost ISU connection. That is interesting. I’m immediately going to bet the under on all Evansville games! Go Lick!

I already know what's going to happen. We have a dream season and get a 1 seed with 1 Big 10 loss (to Michigan State who goes undefeated of course). Evansvile sucks the whole year but miraculously wins there conference tournament to get in as a 16 seed. The committee places us together due to the Lickliter ties. Garza sprains his ankle and our shooters go 0-38 from 3 and we lose on a buzzer beater 36-35.

How many other B1G basketball programs can say one of their former head coaches is now an assistant coach at a Missouri Valley Conference school that was once in Div. II?

Indiana can say a former player, Jim Crews, was the HC at Evansville at one time. Crews was on Indiana's teams that went undefeated in regular season in 1975 and 1976, the latter winning it all going a perfect 32-0.

I already know what's going to happen. We have a dream season and get a 1 seed with 1 Big 10 loss (to Michigan State who goes undefeated of course). Evansvile sucks the whole year but miraculously wins there conference tournament to get in as a 16 seed. The committee places us together due to the Lickliter ties. Garza sprains his ankle and our shooters go 0-38 from 3 and we lose on a buzzer beater 36-35.

Despite the win, Lick is pissed because, on the final game-winning possession, Evansville only passes two times before taking the shot.

Coach Lick's Evansville debut is tonight against Drake. Did Lick's Iowa teams ever beat Drake?

I'm pretty sure he was 1-2 vs Drake while at Iowa. I remember a pretty big beatdown in his 2nd season. Drake won 60-43 in Des Moines. That was one of my personal low points as Iowa basketball fan.

Iowa contacted Bruce Pearl and he quickly told them no. Northwestern State's coach was a candidate, I remember that was a bit of irony. Barta said that there were 2 finalists. Most people believed Altman was the other finalist, especially because he took the Arkansas job (and then backed out to return to Creighton) the day Lick took Iowa's.

Speaking of runners-up for jobs, ISU called Michigan to talk with assistant coach Bill Frieder about their job and Johnny Orr intercepted the call, found that he could make more money at a school that had no football program to speak of, and became a legitimate candidate. Those involved in the search had their favorites, but the Army head coach was the favorite of most. When a Big Ten head coach became involved, they changed their minds, so the Army coach came in second and ended up at Duke.
I have a funny story about my recruitment. One of the schools that was after me was Army. There is no way I was going to west point. I had to tell coach K to quit calling me every day, I am not interested. I may have been the last recruit to tell him no.

Latest posts