Lickliter arrives in stealth, leaves in the same way

homes

Alford had plenty to say when he left Iowa. Lickliter . . . . . . nothing. Is he even still in I.C., or did he slip out of town. Mystery man. I think in the archives of Iowa basketball, they'll record these past 3 years simply with brackets, with nothing recorded in between.

Completely different situations..

Alford had plenty to say when he left Iowa. Lickliter . . . . . . nothing. Is he even still in I.C., or did he slip out of town. Mystery man. I think in the archives of Iowa basketball, they'll record these past 3 years simply with brackets, with nothing recorded in between.

Alford was going to a new job and probably felt like he was rejuvenated by being away from what he felt was a bad situation. Lickliter was let go. Personally, What exactly would you want Lickliter to say at this time? You want him to open fire on the Iowa administration for being slow in getting the practice facility built?

Re: Completely different situations..

Alford was going to a new job and probably felt like he was rejuvenated by being away from what he felt was a bad situation. Lickliter was let go. Personally, What exactly would you want Lickliter to say at this time? You want him to open fire on the Iowa administration for being slow in getting the practice facility built?

Let him find a job someplace. Give him about three years, and when he's back (again) in the Sweet 16, then let him rip on us all he wants (like Alford is doing, now that he has some success).

Last edited:

Nope. I just think it is emblematic of his time here at Iowa.

Is John L still in class? That has to su ..., er, be a bit awkward.

It may be a little awkward for lil John, but he could always just walk around wearing a t-shirt that say's: "my Dad made $6 million dollars in 3 years, how'd your Dad do?". If I was him, that would make me feel really good about my old man...

Is there something specific you want him to say? The man doesn't owe the fans or media anything.

You're correct, but the UI owes him $2.4 million. I could see a coach going out the door saying something along the lines of sorry it didn't work out, did my best, wish the Hawks well in the future. But you are right, he's not required to say anything. Again, his silence is consistent.

You're correct, but the UI owes him $2.4 million. I could see a coach going out the door saying something along the lines of sorry it didn't work out, did my best, wish the Hawks well in the future. But you are right, he's not required to say anything. Again, his silence is consistent.

The guy just got fired, I would expect him to say nothing, especially anything along the lines of "I wish the Hawks well in the future."

I wouldn't expect anyone to say much in this situation. The guy's got a little too much class to rip on us (Alford). He just didn't work out. I wish he could have, but it just didn't come together for him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands, because I still think he's a stand-up guy and a very good coach.

Also, he sold his house to Nate Kaeding a few days before the announcement came. He's got a different place in IC now, it's just more of a temporary spot. And as far as I can tell looking on the UI phonebook/email list, John is still in classes (Todd's email was not available, so I'm guessing they get that stuff off the record pretty quickly if you're fired, drop out of class, etc.).

among all the perfectly legitimate complaints about lickliter's time here, nobody ever had anything but nice things to say about him personally. the losing was brutal, but in retrospect i think we will always appreciate lickliter's classiness over alford's dickishness.

and to sidetrack the topic a little bit, i will never apologize for rooting against alford wherever he coaches. the guy was a grade-A jerk. on the other hand, a part of me will always root for lickliter in his next job. nothing would make me happier than lick having some success at a smaller program while mccaffery leads the hawks back to relevance... and alford explains away another first-round tourney exit.

Personally, I wish nothing but the best for Lick. He seems like a good guy and, overall, a pretty decent coach. IMO, he understimated what it would take to get the Iowa program going again, and overestimated his "system" - mistakes that are common to young coaches. I hope he learns from this experience and goes on to a successful career.

As for SA, I would be happy if the only time I hear his name again is when our Hawks are beating the hell out of his team on the floor. Other than that, he has moved on (at least physically), so we should too.

I would very much rather focus on FM and the things he does to turn our program around. I truly look forward to seeing our players have fun and win again.

Latest posts