Lickliter 24 minutes played, Payne 28 minutes played

Payne was awesome. He transferred to Loyola and then Loyola got moved up to the MVC. They needed a Jesuit powerhouse to replace Creighton and they got it.

Good Lord, I've done my best to block out that whole period of Iowa basketball, but when I read the quote about it being 10 minutes before we made a field goal, all the bad memories kept rushing back. There were SO MANY games where we'd go on field goal droughts of 8, 10, 12 minutes. It was so freaking pathetic. Thank God the days of 15, 18, 20 point halves are WAY in the rearview. It's funny, though, reading some posters trying to defend Lick's system. It wasn't a system at all....it was a travesty!

Lmao, I was thinking the same thing.
I don't think you can find many posts from me at that point in Iowa basketball. I was so mad at the situation I think I stopped watching it. It's nice to see some of the usual Kool-Aid suspects representing. Hilarious.

Good Lord, I've done my best to block out that whole period of Iowa basketball, but when I read the quote about it being 10 minutes before we made a field goal, all the bad memories kept rushing back. There were SO MANY games where we'd go on field goal droughts of 8, 1012 minutes. It was so freaking pathetic. Thank God the days of 15, 18, 20 point halves are WAY in the rearview. It's funny, though, reading some posters trying to defend Lick's system. It wasn't a system at all....it was a travesty!

I will admit, I was probably one of those posters defending him and didn't want him fired. But thank god it worked out he way it did.

Since 1982, I have watched basically all of the Iowa BB games that we could watch whether we could see them at home, had to go to a bar or even bought a sat dish to see them. Durin this time, my co-watcher (a former Iowa pole vaulter) was always there.
During the Alford years we were always wondering what type (if any) offense we were running. That period just constantly, incessantly dragged us down. Then the Lick era just finished the program off.

Now even when we are so fortunate to have a good team that is so well coached and so fun to watch, I will still make an occasional comment referring back to something from the Lick era. I think we should all remember what is my friends response is when ever I lapse back into that negative mood:

"Lick's gone and he's never comming back".

Since 1982, I have watched basically all of the Iowa BB games that we could watch whether we could see them at home, had to go to a bar or even bought a sat dish to see them. Durin this time, my co-watcher (a former Iowa pole vaulter) was always there.
During the Alford years we were always wondering what type (if any) offense we were running. That period just constantly, incessantly dragged us down. Then the Lick era just finished the program off.

Now even when we are so fortunate to have a good team that is so well coached and so fun to watch, I will still make an occasional comment referring back to something from the Lick era. I think we should all remember what is my friends response is when ever I lapse back into that negative mood:

She sounds hot.

I get why people hate Alford but my god Lick was so much worse.

The players he brought in to play in this conference made us a laughing stock.

Absolutely. People can say what they want about Alford's arrogance and lack of integrity, or Pierre Pierce.. And the on-court results were merely average. But I will never agree with those who say Alford did more harm to the state of this program than Lickliter did. At least Alford got us to the NCAA's a few times. This program was far worse than I'd ever seen it by the time Lick was through.. A true doormat.

The fact that Lick Jr. played 24 minutes in ANY game at Iowa says it all. The Todd Lickliter era was a complete and total failure.

No real need to keep hashing this stuff up though, unless it's to remind ourselves of how sweet it is to not suck anymore.

Last edited:

And the few decent ones we had transferred out. Thank God for the Gatens family saying "enough is enough".

John Lickliter was a pretty good role player. Too bad he did not stay with the program for Fran's first couple years. Wasn't he a walk on also? It's not too often that a walk on contributes as much as he did.

John Lickliter was a pretty good role player. Too bad he did not stay with the program for Fran's first couple years. Wasn't he a walk on also? It's not too often that a walk on contributes as much as he did.
If his role was to give gator aid to the team, then I agree.

Latest posts