Lickliter 24 minutes played, Payne 28 minutes played

Not what I am saying. When lick and Payne play together, that moves Gatens to the 3, May or fuller to the 4 and Cougill to the 5. Basically, you end up bumping a 5 for another 1.

Still, ******** about the amount of playing time Payne did or did not get when it was the whole team that didn't show up seems rather petty. A red herring, if you will.

There were so many other things that went wrong today.

Payne had 3 Turnovers and Lick had 1.. Your make it sound like Payne was turning it over everytime he touched it.

The offense wasn't exactly clicking tonight. It took them almost 10 minutes to make a field goal. Granted Mchigan played solid D and it doesn't all fall on Cully's shoulders but he is the QB or general of the offense as the starting point guard. The breaking point was when Cully took the deep three. That's not Licks offense. I know some don't beleive in his system but Lick believes in his coaching strategies and has seen them work at Butler. His PG has to understand the offense and understand that is a shot they can get anytime and thats not the shot they are looking for early in the shot clock.

They were playing with two point guards for a large portion of the game.

Cole is not a guard.

Lick didn't hurt the team with his play.

Payne jacked a long range 3 when Iowa was rallying, early in the shot clock, and that poor shot seemed to douse the rally.

Discuss.

They were playing with two point guards for a large portion of the game.

Cole is not a guard.

Lick didn't hurt the team with his play.

Payne jacked a long range 3 when Iowa was rallying, early in the shot clock, and that poor shot seemed to douse the rally.

Discuss.
Agreed, ankle. I believe John L was in for Bawinkle's spot mostly tonight (at least when in with Payne). I don't think any rotation of players would have worked tonight. I was not happy when Payne and Cole were out for a few minutes together, but I am assuming there was some teaching being done at that time. I may be wrong.

I think you're making this a much bigger deal than it is. It's one game and yes we all know Payne is the future and that Lil Lick isn't a big ten talent but when he was in the game tonight he wasn't turning the ball over. I think coach was just trying to make the point that he wants the point guard to take care of the ball and have the offense work to get good looks. I think coach was also very upset with the deep 3 that Cully took early in the shot clock. Coach made his point and Payne and Cole will have their minutes back next game.

JL's shooting was as bad as a turnover every time he shot. Bricks and clankers. He was playing desperate today. So JL wasn't taking too good of care of the ball either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Payne Transfers, because next year who is gonna be running the show? If johnny plays ahead of Payne, I would be out there too. With Burst coming in, and tucker coming back, old little johnny is gonna find it hard to find playing time. If john lickliter plays a second next year (i'll give him a few min during mop-up time.) Then it will be time for coach lick to go. His son is not a Div 1 player by any means, i would hope lick goes out and finds some serious players who want to walk on and have john be a student assistant. That's all he is good for.

Does anyone know, does lick hold walk-on tryouts at all? I think he should, open it up to the football team , i am sure there are some players would could play both!

I wouldn't be surprised if Payne Transfers, because next year who is gonna be running the show? If johnny plays ahead of Payne, I would be out there too. With Burst coming in, and tucker coming back, old little johnny is gonna find it hard to find playing time. If john lickliter plays a second next year (i'll give him a few min during mop-up time.) Then it will be time for coach lick to go. His son is not a Div 1 player by any means, i would hope lick goes out and finds some serious players who want to walk on and have john be a student assistant. That's all he is good for.

Does anyone know, does lick hold walk-on tryouts at all? I think he should, open it up to the football team , i am sure there are some players would could play both!

stop it... just stop it. Lil Lick will not be playing ahead of Payne the next game, later this season, next season or any point in Cully's career here at U of I.

Not what I am saying. When lick and Payne play together, that moves Gatens to the 3, May or fuller to the 4 and Cougill to the 5. Basically, you end up bumping a 5 for another 1.
Fuller starts at the 4. May plays the 4 when he's in with the two pgs and Gatens. But many teams, including Michigan a lot of the time, don't have a big at the 4 for a part of the game. That said, I don't get the Cully and John tandem much either.

Another aspect of the dynamic, once when Lick was patroling in front of the bench, John said something to him and he stopped and they discussed something. Haven't seen other players do that but then again the tv doesn't show the bench very much, although at home games it doesn't happen. Seems logical that John would be less afraid of his father than some of the others; he also comes back at him when dad barks at him for something.

Last edited:
I still can't believe Lick was paid millions in his short time at Iowa. Alford hired his dad and Lick engaged in nepotism. It really bothers me when coaches act like a University exists solely to help their family.

I still can't believe Lick was paid millions in his short time at Iowa. Alford hired his dad and Lick engaged in nepotism. It really bothers me when coaches act like a University exists solely to help their family.
I think I bookmarked a thread on Lute Olson leaving Iowa back in the 80s.....let me find it and comment on that.

When Fran is asking for a raise in April, all he needs to do is print off this thread and give it to Barta. Negotiations will not be required.

"The offense wasn't exactly clicking tonight. It took them almost 10 minutes to make a field goal."

Errrrrmmmaaaggggeeeerrrrdddd!

Latest posts