Lick

westview

I know things did not work out with Lick at Iowa. He looked like a good hire at the time. He was national coach of the year, and I believe he came within 2 points of the NCAA champs. In my opinion his biggest problem at Iowa was players leaving.

This is really random.

It was Brad Stevens who took Butler to two title games though.

Lickliter is a good coach. Horrible recruiter. Can't be a horrible recruiter in the Big 10 and win.

This is random though.....................

yes, but wasn't a major reason for his players leaving Lick himself. Most everything I've heard indicated he had terrible rapport with his players. His system wasn't a big help either.

Last edited:
Lick is a horrible coach and would have been better served going to Harvard. On top of that he was an even worse recruiter.

Look at the Nat'l Coach of the Year candidates over the past decade. What do you think some of them are doing? I know one is sitting on payments from Iowa and another is a part-time analyst on the BTN. Both have a connection to Iowa.

That award is a joke.

as a coach he was solid. but he wasnt the right fit for this school. he was a terrible recruiter because he had to be national. for some reason his players didnt connect with him and left. hopefully he can find a job and do his thing again at a better fit for himself.

we seem to have found the right guy now.

This is really random.

It was Brad Stevens who took Butler to two title games though.

He was the real reason behind Butler's success. Much like Ben Jacobson being the reason for UNI's success and not McDermott.

I know things did not work out with Lick at Iowa. He looked like a good hire at the time. He was national coach of the year, and I believe he came within 2 points of the NCAA champs. In my opinion his biggest problem at Iowa was players leaving.

Yea right.

His plodding system with non-athletic players had nothing to do with his demise. Iowa was forced to slow the pace of the game down & had very little options offensively & defensively in the BIG 10 because they did not have any players that could 1) Take the ball to the rim. 3) Shoot a nice look until wide azz open. 2) Run a press.

Hell, Iowa couldn't even get the ball up the court until there were like 12 seconds left then they were left scrambling to take a crappy shot just to get the ball to the rim.

Put in perspective that he was actually playing his son, Jon, who a nice guy but no way should have been on a Big 10 floor.

Iowa damn near had Gatens leave if a change was not made.

Ben Jacobsen is a perfect fit at a school like UNI where he can teach & the players stick around for all 4 yrs. He is a heck of a coach & actually is a very very smart guy.

Watch how UNI spreads the court on O & finds ways to get open looks for players to take a decent/higher % shot.

Yea right.

His plodding system with non-athletic players had nothing to do with his demise. Iowa was forced to slow the pace of the game down & had very little options offensively & defensively in the BIG 10 because they did not have any players that could 1) Take the ball to the rim. 3) Shoot a nice look until wide azz open. 2) Run a press.

Hell, Iowa couldn't even get the ball up the court until there were like 12 seconds left then they were left scrambling to take a crappy shot just to get the ball to the rim.

Put in perspective that he was actually playing his son, Jon, who a nice guy but no way should have been on a Big 10 floor.

Iowa damn near had Gatens leave if a change was not made.

Gawd I hope Westview isn't Jon, as that would be very embarrassing to me!!! :eek:

frans speaking abilities is what makes him a good recruiter and plus he also have the best coaching staff i ever seen. he doesnt throw players under the bus for their mistakes. biclighter never had a good speaking abilities. he seeems lost in his job that was bigger than what he could bite and he had coaching staff that was very inexperienced.

just a thought, both are good coaches at mid to lower level colleges, not at the level of a BT or B12 school, not a knock against UNI or Creighton, but lets admit it they do not face the same level of competion every game in conference play,
to my thinking having to get up for 2-3 games is easier to do than to do it 14-18 times a season

i thought this about mcdermott too, but what he is doing at creighton has made me start thinking otherwise.

It definitely helps when you have one of the best players in the nation on your team. We'll see what happens to good ol' Greg's program once Doug is gone.

It definitely helps when you have one of the best players in the nation on your team. We'll see what happens to good ol' Greg's program once Doug is gone.

I think McDermott's another good fit for a Miss Valley team so I think he will be fine & have success.

It is also important to put into perspective how difficult it is to coach your son. Iowa State had a lot of turnover of players as well. This could have been some of McDermott's fault which is part of the formula.

biggest problem was, he couldn't recruit at the B1G level. Boring style to watch if you are losing. It works at Wisconsin because they win with it. Except vs Iowa:D

He's a good guy and I think he will be successful. He certainly got his share of coin from UI.

Lick= Plain Toast
Mac= Well, something much more spicey you fill in the _______

Oh Yeah, quite a random thought to post, but thats how we move up the steps here at HN.

Not sure why we need a Lickliter thread, but ok. I think Lick's biggest weakness was his ability to relate to players (retention) and recruiting.. No real mystery there.