Lick

Stevens did the recruiting for Lick. Barta didn't do his homework on that.

I don't think Todd was a bad coach at all. He was always teaching it seemed on the bench. His system just wasn't built for Iowa and the Big Ten and his recruiting was very underwhelming.

I wanted Lick to succeed here and wish him no ill will. Things just didn't pan out here for him. He'll get another head job soon with a smaller school and will make them winners.

I don't think Todd was a bad coach at all. He was always teaching it seemed on the bench. His system just wasn't built for Iowa and the Big Ten and his recruiting was very underwhelming.

I wanted Lick to succeed here and wish him no ill will. Things just didn't pan out here for him. He'll get another head job soon with a smaller school and will make them winners.

T lick low is just another example of what's wrong with 2012 "amateur" "NCAA non-profit", "student-athletics" that we all know and love as college football and college basketball fans.

Because of the horrific Alford years in which Iowa supporters had to endure this Bobby Knight dick "learn on the job", while jerking around people in Iowa City and throughout the Nation...

Barry Garta responded with a knee jerk reaction that resulted in Lick and it goes round and around in a big circle.

All of them are way over paid and none of the so-called "student-athletes" get a penny.

If Lick fails again I won't be surprised... is he still getting paid by Iowa?

as I hold my head in my hands....

College athletes should not be paid, the get scholarships and if they have a problem with finances, they can get a job while there.

The NCAA has issues and they way they do things, but I just don't understand the big push for paying kids. Universities and the NCAA are going to make money, the kids that aren't getting financial aid of some sort will get hurt the most due to tuition hikes to make up for the difference. Athletes have enough privlages to begin with, not all being financial. If paying athletes begins, for those that lose their scholarships have to pay that back? Probably not, but the kids that don't fulfill their scholarship duties should owe the Universities as it stands now anyway.

bic lighter was never good x and 0 coach, he never could outcoach . he just couldnt find a way to score more except for few games he got lucky and plus he has coaching staff thats mostly inexperienced on major college team like iowa. what was so refreshing is that fran put together the best coaching staff that we probably ever have in a long time. and you can see huge difference between biclighter and fran coaching staff. it counts to have attitude and emotions and experiences
now where`s that grammar patrol?

bic lighter was never good x and 0 coach, he never could outcoach . he just couldnt find a way to score more except for few games he got lucky and plus he has coaching staff thats mostly inexperienced on major college team like iowa. what was so refreshing is that fran put together the best coaching staff that we probably ever have in a long time. and you can see huge difference between biclighter and fran coaching staff. it counts to have attitude and emotions and experiences
now where`s that grammar patrol?

and wild bull pumfus chairslamming attitudes:D:D

i agreed with this, he`s just not right coach here at iowa

images

images

images

images

I'm not sure why people say he was a good coach. Just because he was a bad recruiter doesn't mean he was a good coach. He was terrible at both.

there are good coaches in bad situations. he had a bad situation. he had little in the cupboard and his system wasnt liked by our fans. he didnt know how to recruit at a national scale.

some coaches are such good recruiters it makes up for their lack of knowledge. some arent good recruiters and it hurts their knowledge. he won national coach of the year for a reason.

I dont understand the idea that Lick was a "good coach".

What could you base that on? Nothing he did worked and he actually thought his son should be on the court.

Just having an abstract understanding of basketball does not make you a coach let alone a good one.

Coaching is about motivating, teaching, connecting with players as much as anything.

Lick was a terrible coach.

Last edited:
I dont understand the idea that Lick was a "good coach".What could you base that on? Nothing he did worked and he actually thought his son should be on the court.

what is your definition of a good coach? lick won before he got to iowa. we was national coach of the year. just because you struggle at a school doesnt mean you are bad, there is more to it than that. he was not the right guy for iowa...that doesnt make him a bad coach. mcdermott is a good coach that didnt do well at isu.

what is your definition of a good coach? lick won before he got to iowa. we was national coach of the year. just because you struggle at a school doesnt mean you are bad, there is more to it than that. he was not the right guy for iowa...that doesnt make him a bad coach. mcdermott is a good coach that didnt do well at isu.

The edited section of my post answers your question.

You may not have seen it.

I never saw any attributes of good coaching out of Lick.

Players can make a coach look good sometimes.

how do you account for what he did before iowa. he didnt have any better talent yet he did better there. i understand his asst. was pretty good but that isnt all there is. he didnt do a great job at iowa. i dont deny that fact but his system works. look at most mid majors (especially ones around the midwest). we didnt see a quick turn around and didnt like the style so we vilafied him. he will get another job (ala mcdermott) and show he knows it. i get he didnt connect with the players he brought in but he must have before he got to iowa.

just so you know i thought he was the wrong guy for the job when he was hired but he was the new big name and barta thought it was a splash hire. i wouldnt say the arkansas coach is a bad coach but he didnt win for the falcons. saban is a great coach but isnt a pro coach. tubby smith is a good coach and won at kentucky and they ran him out of town. that gilespie (sp?) was solid until kentucky. multiple coaches do well one place and then go to another and it doesnt work out. did they all of a sudden forget how to coach? answer: no. it just isnt the right situation.

Latest posts