Let's talk about.....BEER!

Let’s see.......in HS, we used to have a friend buy us Miller ponies. We’d drive around on the country roads singing to the 8 track and throwing the empties at road signs. I think it was Blatz that made the big mouth bottles we’d drink......could be wrong on that, though.

In college, we could get a six pack of Pickett’s or Old Style for $1.89. Add a huge pizza from Paul Revere’s, and it was an evening.

Not a big beer drinker today.....more into wine, tequila and bourbon.

Man. When I was in college we could get a case of Busch Light bottles for $7.49. Sometimes it was on sale for $6.99. You could get a Paul Revere's Terminator delivered for like $10 with tip. Glory Days...

I got a case of Hop Slam and a mini keg of Hop Slam. To celebrate the one year anniversary of "2 WEEKS TO FLATTEN THE CURVE" (our schools closed on 3/13/2020) I am hosting SlamFest 2k21 this coming Saturday. Pork shoulder, Hop Slam, hopefully watching the Hawks beat Illinois in the BTT. Should be a good day.

I got a case of Hop Slam and a mini keg of Hop Slam. To celebrate the one year anniversary of "2 WEEKS TO FLATTEN THE CURVE" (our schools closed on 3/13/2020) I am hosting SlamFest 2k21 this coming Saturday. Pork shoulder, Hop Slam, hopefully watching the Hawks beat Illinois in the BTT. Should be a good day.

Damn it, now I have to google Hop Slam.

Enjoy your day on Saturday. Sounds fun!

Worst beer at John's in my day was Burgemeister. Came in a brown bottle about 2 1/2 feet tall and tasted like soap water. Loved the bottles though. People liked Schlitz and Bud and Miller.

When I was in school, we used to be able to pick up a case of Brewski longnecks for $5.00 (plus deposit) at HyVee.

It was the only beer I've ever had that tasted better warm than cold. It was awful.

b7802a937b71d9270a54912c3c67c415_320x320.jpeg

I drink good Bourbon but all beer tastes the same to me (more or less) so I just drink cheap shit. My favorite was Busch Golden Lager.

When I used to travel for work, if I was outside North America I’d mostly drink beer or ale. In Europe, I love Belgian ale. Westmalle is good. My son and his wife like Delerium. I also really like Duvel, which isn’t a Trappist ale, but is really good. All are available now in the States.

In Japan, it’s sake. Cold sake, not that hot stuff. Ginjo or dai ginjo levels are really good. I’ve heard good things about their Scotch, but have never tried it. I’m not a fan of their beers.

In Mexico, it’s tequila. I really like Tres Generaciones. Don Julio is good. Prefer the anejo over the reposado. They drink it there chilled with a V8-style side called sangrita and lime.....the colors of the Mexican flag. I’ll also drink some Mezcal.....the kind WITHOUT the worm. Surprisingly, it tastes like Scotch to me. At least I was surprised the first time I tried it.

They sell a lot of Tiger beer around Singapore, but I think it tastes like horse piss and it gives me a headache. Tsingtao is a favorite Chinese beer, but I think it’s pretty bland.

In Australia, it’s beer again. There are a lot of good beers. Victoria Bitters, Carlton and Squire are all pretty good. Just don’t ask for a Fosters. Fosters is Australian for dog piss.

Bourbon is just - or was just - too expensive abroad. I’ve got a few more years of work left, so hopefully I can get on a plane again.

Last edited:
When I used to travel for work, if I was outside North America I’d mostly drink beer or ale. In Europe, I love Belgian ale. Westmalle is good. My son and his wife like Delerium. I also really like Duvel, which isn’t a Trappist ale, but is really good. All are available now in the States.

In Japan, it’s sake. Cold sake, not that hot stuff. Ginjo or dai ginjo levels are really good. I’ve heard good things about their Scotch, but have never tried it. I’m not a fan of their beers.

In Mexico, it’s tequila. I really like Tres Generaciones. Don Julio is good. Prefer the anejo over the reposado. They drink it there chilled with a V8-style side called sangrita and lime.....the colors of the Mexican flag. I’ll also drink some Mezcal.....the kind WITHOUT the worm. Surprisingly, it tastes like Scotch to me. At least I was surprised the first time I tried it.

They sell a lot of Tiger beer around Singapore, but I think it tastes like horse piss and it gives me a headache. Tsingtao is a favorite Chinese beer, but I think it’s pretty bland.

In Australia, it’s beer again. There are a lot of good beers. Victoria Bitters, Carlton and Squire are all pretty good. Just don’t ask for a Fosters. Fosters is Australian for dog piss.

Bourbon is just - or was just - too expensive abroad. I’ve got a few more years of work left, so hopefully I can get on a plane again.

I really need to get out more.

This was one of the cool parts of my job in the past. I think travel is indeed something people should do as much as they can.

I hated traveling at my old job because it was always "We're gonna lock everyone in a conference room for 12 hours and then you have to go crank monkey documents in your hotel room on a small laptop and shitty wi-fi for 8 hours." Worst trip was one to NYC during my birthday. The Omni upgraded me to some ridiculous suite and I got to spend all of 5 hours there over the course of 3 days and then ate an Auntie Ann's pretzel in the American Airlines terminal at La Guardia for my birthday dinner. F travel.

This was one of the cool parts of my job in the past. I think travel is indeed something people should do as much as they can.
I hated traveling at my old job because it was always "We're gonna lock everyone in a conference room for 12 hours and then you have to go crank monkey documents in your hotel room on a small laptop and shitty wi-fi for 8 hours." Worst trip was one to NYC during my birthday. The Omni upgraded me to some ridiculous suite and I got to spend all of 5 hours there over the course of 3 days and then ate an Auntie Ann's pretzel in the American Airlines terminal at La Guardia for my birthday dinner. F travel.
I have zero desire to travel internationally. Nothing against the idea at all and I'm not someone who holds a bunch of culture misconceptions (I can say that because I have no conceptions at all), but there's so much that I want to see and do in the States before I go tits up that I won't have time to do half of it. Last time I counted I've been to I think 45 states, and there's a hell of a lot of non-touristy, non-cliche stuff pretty much everywhere you go if you look. Even some of the semi-tourist stuff is fun and interesting especially if you like American history. My kid and I tent camped for 9 days at 6,200 ft in the Black Hills and had an absolute blast. That place is a gem.

The most fun we had was the two of us (he was only 8 so the whole experience blew him away) flew to Denver, bought a roomette on an Amtrak train, and rode it all the way to Harrisburg, PA to visit some friends who had moved out to the east coast. Made it to DC, Gettysburg, all three 9/11 sites, and tons of miscellaneous stuff just exploring. Stayed 9 days and flew back home.

They can keep the Mt Rushmores and Disneyland garbage, but there's plenty of wild that I haven't seen yet.

I did receive a Pliny the Younger and Pliny the elder in the mail this February. Very tasty from Russian River Brewery.

I have zero desire to travel internationally. Nothing against the idea at all and I'm not someone who holds a bunch of culture misconceptions (I can say that because I have no conceptions at all), but there's so much that I want to see and do in the States before I go tits up that I won't have time to do half of it. Last time I counted I've been to I think 45 states, and there's a hell of a lot of non-touristy, non-cliche stuff pretty much everywhere you go if you look. Even some of the semi-tourist stuff is fun and interesting especially if you like American history. My kid and I tent camped for 9 days at 6,200 ft in the Black Hills and had an absolute blast. That place is a gem.

The most fun we had was the two of us (he was only 8 so the whole experience blew him away) flew to Denver, bought a roomette on an Amtrak train, and rode it all the way to Harrisburg, PA to visit some friends who had moved out to the east coast. Made it to DC, Gettysburg, all three 9/11 sites, and tons of miscellaneous stuff just exploring. Stayed 9 days and flew back home.

They can keep the Mt Rushmores and Disneyland garbage, but there's plenty of wild that I haven't seen yet.
The train trip sounds like a blast!
Sounds like the life of a consultant.

One thing on this, and it’s in no way targeted at you personally. But, I hear a lot of people claiming how the US is the ‘greatest country in the world’, and when you ask how many countries they‘ve been to the answer is ‘well, I’ve been to Cabo’. I think seeing how other people live give a bit of perspective. Not to mention some great food and beverages.