Let's Put it to a Vote: Barta fires Lickliter or Lickliter stays

What will Barta do?

• Fire Lickliter

Votes: 99 83.9%
  • Keep Lickliter

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters
So you've never heard of a coach "resigning" and getting a "severance" (i.e. buyout)?

Okay.

If it would be less than the 2.4 million that Lickliter is owed, then I don't blame him for wanting the buyout. Coaches get fired and re-hired all the time; Lickliter will land on his feet somewhere.

I just don't see how you can say Lickliter is being stubborn for simply wanting what he is owed.

Last edited:
If it would be less than the 2.4 million that Lickliter is owed, then I don't blame him for wanting the buyout. Coaches get fired and re-hired all the time; Licklitet will land on his feet somewhere.

I just don't see how you can say Lickliter is being stubborn for simply wanting what he is owed.

He may be "owed" it in the legal sense of the word. But as far as I'm concerned, he ain't owed squat for what he's done. The man set a lot of records during his short time.....every one of them negative.

By the way, he IS being stubborn, because a man in his position (presiding over the worst 3 years in the history of a program) can't really afford to be burning bridges at a time like this. If reports I've heard are true (Barta offering up the "resignation for health reasons" and Lick saying he's healthy in public), then I'm sure Barta won't have too many regrets for, shall we say, not giving him a shining endorsement when the next AD who is looking to hire him comes calling.

I put in my vote that Lick get's fired.

After Thursday's "events" I don't see how Barta brings him back.

I want him out as quickly as possible so he can do no more harm to the program, he can take his assistants with him...

He may be "owed" it in the legal sense of the word. But as far as I'm concerned, he ain't owed squat for what he's done. The man set a lot of records during his short time.....every one of them negative.

By the way, he IS being stubborn, because a man in his position (presiding over the worst 3 years in the history of a program) can't really afford to be burning bridges at a time like this. If reports I've heard are true (Barta offering up the "resignation for health reasons" and Lick saying he's healthy in public), then I'm sure Barta won't have too many regrets for, shall we say, not giving him a shining endorsement when the next AD who is looking to hire him comes calling.

He left a stable job and uprooted his family on the basis of a 7-year commitment. Unless he has done something that constitutes "cause" for termination under the terms of the contract (and it doesn't appear that he has), he deserves the money in every sense.

Lickliter can do whatever he wants; I'm sure the AD of the next school that hires him isn't gong to come calling on Barta for advice on whether or not he should hire Lickliter. Speaking of burning bridges, it was six weeks ago that Barta gave Lickliter a vote of confidence, and he repeated that vote of confidence early last week.

If you want to talk about burning bridges, you at least have to acknowledge that Barta did the same thing.

Ridiculous. He left a stable job and uprooted his family on the basis of a 7-year commitment. Unless he has done something that constitutes "cause" for termination under the terms of the contract (and it doesn't appear that he has), he deserves the money in every sense.

No offense, but you and I both know that years on a contract don't mean anything....zero, zilch, squat. They are only used to establish the buyout period when a coach is fired or the payback required when a coach is hired by another university.

If Lick honestly thought he was getting 7 years regardless of player turnover, wins/losses, attendance/etc, then he really does deserve to get fired.

He got the rocking chair from the Iowa athetic dept. at his last game in Carver. I don"t know what he got from the other Big Ten schools on his farewell tour.

Lickliter can do whatever he wants; I'm sure the AD of the next school that hires him isn't gong to come calling on Barta for advice on whether or not he should hire Lickliter. Speaking of burning bridges, it was six weeks ago that Barta gave Lickliter a vote of confidence, and he repeated that vote of confidence early last week.

If you want to talk about burning bridges, you at least have to acknowledge that Barta did the same thing.

I understand what you're saying, I do. But if you don't think ADs talk to one another, you're crazy.

And I do acknowledge that Barta screwed the pooch with his vote of confidence. There are several things Barta's done that really have me scratching my head.

But I stand by what I think......Lick should have taken a nice buyout, "resigned" and moved on.

I think he goes at this point...too many rumors floating out there and it's reached its boiling point. I think he steps down after the lawyers hammer out the details.

I understand what you're saying, I do. But if you don't think ADs talk to one another, you're crazy.

And I do acknowledge that Barta screwed the pooch with his vote of confidence. There are several things Barta's done that really have me scratching my head.

My I stand by what I think......Lick should have taken a nice buyout, "resigned" and move on.

So you can understand why Lickliter would basically tell Barta to go **** himself with the "I'm healthy" comment Thursday afternoon.

So you can understand why Lickliter would basically tell Barta to go **** himself with the "I'm healthy" comment Thursday afternoon.

I can understand why he'd WANT to. But wanting to do something and actually going through with it are two different things.

I think that stunt was really a microcosm of why he failed here. Ultimately, his stubborness to tweak his system based on personnel or match-ups, his stubborness towards his players that ultimately caused every single top player to transfer, and his stubborn refusal to "own" what has happened to the program is what has gotten us to this point.

Pride cometh before the fall.

I think Lick will get fired, but I also think he should get one more year (as long as the Fuller-Gatens rumors are false).

I think after what has happened this week you have to fire him. I like Lick and thought he'd get another year, but the rumors have hurt him staying.

I think he said to prove to future employers that he is healthy and feels by stating health issues really hinders him in future coaches jobs. If he says he has to back out due to health issues, he really cuts his choices in half. If healthy he has to let future employers know that his health will not be an issue if he gets another coaching job.

If this gets to be too nasty and becomes about money because future employers will be calling Barta to get his side and want to double check on what Barta's side may be. If it gets to look like Lickliter is hard to work with might hurt him in future jobs as well.

Lord know his record and players leaving at Iowa during his tenor and attendence records will always be there for other schools to look at. LOTS of empty seats and player comments will certainly be an eye opener and can't go unnoticed but future employers. Would be best for Lickliter to make his point but not be too difficult to just go away. Both he and Iowa need to start over and move on.

with 50%

88% - Gone
12% - Stays

Now we just need Jimmy Chitwood to come into the town meeting to save coach Norman Dale.

with 50%

88% - Gone
12% - Stays

Now we just need Jimmy Chitwood to come into the town meeting to save coach Norman Dale.

Hell, if we had Jimmy Chitwood, we might not be in this position. Then again, knowing Lickliter, he'd play Jimmy in the post with his back to the basket and have him set 50 ball screens.

Latest posts