Let's Go Bucky (for one week) #8 Nebraska at #7 Wisconsin

I love having divisions because, as an Iowa fan, you know exactly who to root for. I hate Wisky, but I'll hate them a lot less for a few hours on Saturday.

Wisky 31
UN 20

See, I don't understand that - wouldn't make more sense to root for Nebraska, then beat them? That would go towards the Legends being better than the Leaders, and that Iowa is that much better because they're on top of the better division.

Now, if it's just because you don't like the Huskers, then ok, shortsighted, but ok. :)

While I understand Wisc. is the logical choice, I think it'll be a close game. Pelini-coached teams play up (or down) to their competition. I question whether the Husker Blackshirts will be able to handle Wisc.'s o line, I know that the Pelinis will have a nice d package designed for the game. It'll come down to Wisc.'s QB - if they can contain him, NU will win. If they can't, then the offense would need to keep up and Martinez can be made to make mistakes.

Have you ever been to western Nebraska?
As apposed to the metropolitan opulence of Iowa?
I have never got the Iowa/Nebraska bashing each other for being low population rural states. They are the same in almost every way. Busting on one doesnt change the other.

See, I don't understand that - wouldn't make more sense to root for Nebraska, then beat them? That would go towards the Legends being better than the Leaders, and that Iowa is that much better because they're on top of the better division.

Now, if it's just because you don't like the Huskers, then ok, shortsighted, but ok. :)

While I understand Wisc. is the logical choice, I think it'll be a close game. Pelini-coached teams play up (or down) to their competition. I question whether the Husker Blackshirts will be able to handle Wisc.'s o line, I know that the Pelinis will have a nice d package designed for the game. It'll come down to Wisc.'s QB - if they can contain him, NU will win. If they can't, then the offense would need to keep up and Martinez can be made to make mistakes.

Why does it matter which division is better? The only reason SOS would matter is for National Championship reasons which is incredibly unlikely to happen for Iowa this year.

Honestly I get your point, but couldn't disagree with you more. The fact is that it still comes down to making it to the conference championship and winning it. I don't care which division is the stronger of the two because most likely it will change over time and then won't mean anything when looking back at it down the road.

Look at the Nebraska fans (not meant to flame) they still talk about how solid they've been the past few years and being from the better conference while being in the north division while for the most part it's been the south divisioin that's been stacked.

The fact is that it'll always be debatable which division is superior to the other, just like it's argued about conferences at the national level, but at the end of the day the only thing that truly speaks for itself is the hardware and who has it.

Who cares which division is "tougher". Would you rather finish 1st in an easier division and go onto the championship game or finish 2nd in a tougher division.

Why does it matter which division is better? The only reason SOS would matter is for National Championship reasons which is incredibly unlikely to happen for Iowa this year.
Pride? Braging rights? Media attention? There are benefits to not being in the weak division... look at the big XII north, by the end it was a punch line.

Pride? Braging rights? Media attention? There are benefits to not being in the weak division... look at the big XII north, by the end it was a punch line.

Sure, that stuff exists but if you win the weak division, then win the conference championship you are in the BCS. All that stuff is then nullified.

I don't understand why you wouldn't root for Wisconsin as a Nebraska win could hurt the Hawks.

I truly think some people simply don't get it and never will. I will never root for a divisional foe in a crossover or rival game simply because nothing good came come from it. If our divisional rival wins, it doesn't benefit the Hawkeyes and could be something detrimental to them when the season finally plays out. The only teams in the conference that matter are your 5 divisional rivals (obviously excluding crossover and rivaly games), and then once it's determined who won the division then the only team in the conference that matters is who won the other division.

IMO it's not about a 12 team conference anymore, but simply a 6 team division and 3 very critical need to win crossover/rivaly games.

There was a plethora of tickets available outside the stadium last year for Bucky vs OSU. But they were not cheap and I paid top $$ to get in that game.

I am guessing 15,000 plus Nebraska Fans.. Stub Hub right now the cheapest ticket is $200..

Some fans may look at this as an opportunity to pay for their season tickets..

I truly think some people simply don't get it and never will. I will never root for a divisional foe in a crossover or rival game simply because nothing good came come from it. If our divisional rival wins, it doesn't benefit the Hawkeyes and could be something detrimental to them when the season finally plays out. The only teams in the conference that matter are your 5 divisional rivals (obviously excluding crossover and rivaly games), and then once it's determined who won the division then the only team in the conference that matters is who won the other division.

IMO it's not about a 12 team conference anymore, but simply a 6 team division and 3 very critical need to win crossover/rivaly games.

ostrich-head.jpg

Pride? Bragging Rights? Media attention? Are you a cyclone fan because that is what they do comparing the Big 12 and Big Ten? Again who cares, would you rather see Iowa play in the Big Ten Championship Game or get 2nd in a tougher division just so you can be like clone fans and tell others, yeah well we played in a tougher division/conference.

Pride? Bragging Rights? Media attention? Are you a cyclone fan because that is what they do comparing the Big 12 and Big Ten? Again who cares, would you rather see Iowa play in the Big Ten Championship Game or get 2nd in a tougher division just so you can be like clone fans and tell others, yeah well we played in a tougher division/conference.
That is why everyone wants to join the big east now isnt it. Nothing matters except an easy path to a conference championship game. Better divisions make better teams. look at the SEC they make alot of national contenders because they have to play other contenders,(and cheat, but that is besides the point) Playing against the best means you need to become the best. You are who you play.

That is why everyone wants to join the big east now isnt it. Nothing matters except an easy path to a conference championship game. Better divisions make better teams. look at the SEC they make alot of national contenders because they have to play other contenders,(and cheat, but that is besides the point) Playing against the best means you need to become the best. You are who you play.
Why would Wisconsin beating the Bugeaters, have anything to do with playing in a lesser division? Why would it be an easier path? Your logic is mind blowing. All that matters is your win-loss record. Correct? And then winning the championship after that.

Last edited:
Here's what it comes down to:
-If Wisconsin beats Nebraska, it benefits Iowa in a concrete, practical way. Iowa will gain a half-game relative to Nebraska in the divisional standings without stepping on the field.
-If Nebraska beats Wisconsin, it benefits Iowa in an abstract, theoretical manner. It would be all about perception.

In this case, I prefer to deal in the concrete as opposed to the abstract.

As apposed to the metropolitan opulence of Iowa?
I have never got the Iowa/Nebraska bashing each other for being low population rural states. They are the same in almost every way. Busting on one doesnt change the other.

This is so wrong its funny, you have obviously never been in Western Nebraska.

Why would Wisconsin beating the Bugeaters, have anything to do with playing in a lesser division? Why would it be an easier path? Your logic is mind blowing. All that matters is your win-loss record. Correct? And then winning the championship after that.
Im not necessarily talking about this one game, but the ideal that one should always root for leaders over fellow legends. As has been expressed one division dominating the other is bad for all members of the division, even if your team wins it. and if you think the only way that Iowa can win the legends is to have the other teams taken out by the leaders, that doesn't speak to much confidence in the Hawkeyes.

This is so wrong its funny, you have obviously never been in Western Nebraska.
I have, the small towns are smaller farther apart. But what makes it so much beter than the endless cornfields of Iowa to drive in? Do you think that Iowa doesnt have it own boondocks? Do you think that Nebraska people dont say the same stuff about Iowa and Iowans about Nebraska? They are both flyover country to anyone not form them. Iowa/Nebraska picking on Nebraska/Iowa for being rural is like Alabama picking on Mississippi for be rednecks! its asinine and it makes you look like an back woods idiot that has never seen anything beyond farms and small towns and that is the only thing you can compare things to. My small low population midwestern rural agricultural state is better than your small low population midwester rural agricultural state. Just be neither is super lame like Kansas!;)

We want Wisconsin to win this game for the divisional race and we certainly don't want Nebraska winning their 1st game in the Conference. Besides, if Iowa makes it to the title game, presumably against the Badgers, the Hawks will have the chance in that setting to prove they are better.

Wisconsin 34
Nebraska 20

Latest posts