Let them score

I would agree that this is an interesting topic to discuss on a message board. I would be interested to hear coaches thoughts ahead of time about scenarios when to let an opponent score when you currently have the lead...and when your D hasn't stopped then all day, and they haven't stopped your offense all day, and time is running down to less than 3 minutes, and you have three TO's to use.

There...tidied it up a bit for ya. :eek:

There...tidied it up a bit for ya. :eek:
Did you read my other questions on this subject? How do we know that we don't score too quickly? How do we know Wiscy doesn't let us score if we get too close and they have time to score again? You can read the others as well. Let me know what you think.

So, are you assuming with 3:30 left, we would take almost all of the remaining time to score when we got the ball back?
(Seth: Yes...we wouldn't air it out...we'd be smart and do our normal offense. Offense have many ways to stop or run down the clock)

What happens if we take 2 minutes to score and there is still 1 minute left for Wiscy?
(Seth: For a TD score by us....wouldn't bother me since it would take Wisky far longer than one minute to go 80 yards assuming we got a decent kick off and coverage)

Don't you assume Wiscy can score again (after we retake the lead)?
(Seth: Per above...not with a minute or so left, if a TD is needed. Their offense takes a long time to grind out scores. Tolzein cannot have beaten us by himself IMO.)

What amount of time left is enough to be safe with the lead?
(Seth: One minute with them on their 20 to start for a TD. For a FG, probably 30 seconds)

If Iowa only gets a FG to retake the lead, then Wiscy only needs a FG to retake the lead. How much time do they need for that?
(Seth: I'm assuming we score a TD. That is what my argument is premised on...but...30 seconds...enough time for a Wisky bomb downfield, a catch, a TO, trot out the FG team)

What if we get close to scoring and Wiscy lets us score to get the ball back?
(Seth: ha ha...well..stranger things have happened...so anyway... the RB dances around, runs E-W rather than N-S. You also squib kick the ball on the kick off.)

Last edited:
I thought I could not relive this drive by staying away from the board and reading all the what ifs all week...but I was wrong. Friday, and we are still dwelling on it. We were given a gift by having that play ruled a TD, otherwise there would have been only seconds left on the clock. We would not have stopped them, our D was beat up and tired. We might of stood a chance to keep our D at them from the 30, but no way from the 5 or 6.

Let them score and give us some time to get down field. The same outcome may have happened, but we may have been able to be more "in touch " with the time had there been an extra minute. Wisky had no TO's. We would have been the one's in control, not them.

I can't help but think of the '98 Superbowl when Green Bay allowed Denver to score a TD late so they would get the ball back. That strategy might of worked, but it didn't then, so....who knows.

Now the past is past. Move on. Beat MSU. Go Hawks!

If Clayborn makes the sack on Tolzein instead of just missing him this isnt even talked about.[/QUOTE]

Was this the play just prior to the fake punt or was it later in the drive? I know one of the Iowa defenders was closing in on Tolzien just before he completed his miracle pass.

Originally Posted by woodyk1
So, are you assuming with 3:30 left, we would take almost all of the remaining time to score when we got the ball back?
(Seth: Yes...we wouldn't air it out...we'd be smart and do our normal offense. Offense have many ways to stop or run down the clock)

What happens if we take 2 minutes to score and there is still 1 minute left for Wiscy?
(Seth: For a TD score by us....wouldn't bother me since it would take Wisky far longer than one minute to go 80 yards assuming we got a decent kick off and coverage)

Don't you assume Wiscy can score again (after we retake the lead)?
(Seth: Per above...not with a minute or so left, if a TD is needed. Their offense takes a long time to grind out scores. Tolzein cannot have beaten us by himself IMO.)

What amount of time left is enough to be safe with the lead?
(Seth: One minute with them on their 20 to start for a TD. For a FG, probably 30 seconds)

If Iowa only gets a FG to retake the lead, then Wiscy only needs a FG to retake the lead. How much time do they need for that?
(Seth: I'm assuming we score a TD. That is what my argument is premised on...but...30 seconds...enough time for a Wisky bomb downfield, a catch, a TO, trot out the FG team)

What if we get close to scoring and Wiscy lets us score to get the ball back?
(Seth: ha ha...well..stranger things have happened...so anyway... the RB dances around, runs E-W rather than N-S. You also squib kick the ball on the kick off.)

Good answers. There's a lot of assumption on both sides of the debate (kickoff coverage by Iowa, etc.) . I appreciate the feedback. Good discussion.

I fail to see the correlation.

Then you didn't see the game. NC State had a 4 pt lead, but FSU easily drove down the field and was inside the 10 with about a minute left. The FSU QB then fumbled the ball which was recovered by NC State, sealing the win.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin didn't fumble, but the point remains valid.

Latest posts