Leistikow: What was Barta thinking?

Never been fond of cool aid. The story was balanced, which is clearly a foreign language in your world.

That really wasnt a fair comment. Does it really matter what other coaches are doing? These contracts are not balanced and still dont make sense. I was responding to your not balanced comment that there was somting that would make us that are not Fran fans change our minds as if we coildnt see the point.

Try having reasonable and thoughtful comments. It still doesnt make sense.

Kudos to Leistikow for having the courage to write that. Let's watch closely and see how he's handled in the upcoming weeks.

On a side note... can we stop with the flawed comparisons to Davis's and Painter's down years. Both had taken teams to the Sweet 16 twice and been regulars in the NCAA tourney (with wins EVERY year) before their down seasons. Fran has not built that kind of record from which he can draw equity in a down year.

This. Had the extension/buyout increase been publicly announced at the time it would have been ridiculed by a portion of the fan base but it also would have said to potential recruits: "We know this is a down year but we have full faith in Fran McCaffery and the future of Iowa basketball."

Now it comes across as a weasel AD who's content with the mediocre to low standing of his two principal revenue-producing sports and has little expectation of the coaches who run them, but who feels he needs to hide what was certain to be a controversial announcement back in November.

Increasingly coming around to the view that the fish stinks from the head. Barta needs to be replaced.

Recruits are also impacted by blowout losses and seniors getting demoted. The coaching security thing is mosly baby boomers applying past factors to the present. Today a coach blowing his stack in games and maybe practice is more negative than job security. The NCAA is highly considering loosening transfer rules anyway.

Last edited:
It implied he's doing a bad job this season. It was fair about the state of Iowa basketball in the previous few seasons. Imagine that, the media being fair and balanced.

It also mentioned other coaches buyouts: Rutgers coach Pikiell has a $14.35 million one, Indiana's Archie Miller has a $20.25 million Buyout, Mark Turgeon's is $15.8 mill. tOSU's Holtmann's is $21.5 million. Seeing these facts made me think the Hawk fan base perhaps needs to chill a bit.

It's all context. To get Holtmann to leave a very good job at Butler the Buckeyes had to pony up. And reality was even if Holtmann didn't do the job at OSU, he'd be given a minimum of 2-3 years and the buyout would come down to more acceptable levels over that time. Same for Archie Miller. Miller was a semi-hot commodity and had leverage with Indiana. Turgeon has also done more at Maryland than Fran has, and Pikeill was just hired a year ago. Fran didn't have any such leverage with Barta.

At ASU, former Dukie, Bobby Hurley gets red faced and blows his stack quite frequently. He has resurrected that program to a top ten outfit! Not all RED FACES are the same I guess. Fran has some very good recruits coming in. He does need to hit on a point guard or two though. Go Hawks!

Recruits are also impacted by blowout losses and seniors getting demoted. The coaching security thing is mosly baby boomers applying past factors to the present. Today a coach blowing his stack in games and maybe practice is more negative than job security. The NCAA is highly considering loosening transfer rules anyway.
Recruits that need things like a coach having enough years on their contracts, to get them to sign, are marginal recruits choosing between mediocre programs. That's it and that's all. High level prospects are choosing between winning coaches at good to great basketball programs.

Recruits that need things like a coach having enough years on their contracts, to get them to sign, are marginal recruits choosing between mediocre programs. That's it and that's all. High level prospects are choosing between winning coaches at good to great basketball programs.

Maybe you missed this.
https://www.si.com/college-football...nsfer-rule-possibilities-collegiate-athletics

In today's world job security doesn't mean much and this age group has grown up in it. Overblown.

Terrible contract.

Fran has set recruiting back all by his big boy self.

Yep, there is no way he stops posting. New name coming...
I don't think he should even bother with a new name. The name calling personal attacks were not called for. He said he'd stop. He's not banned. If he can cool it with the personal attacks who cares. He's not the only person who is both 1) angry at the state of the athletic department and 2) irritated with the Pollyanna attitude of some fans.

I don't think he should even bother with a new name. The name calling personal attacks were not called for. He said he'd stop. He's not banned. If he can cool it with the personal attacks who cares. He's not the only person who is both 1) angry at the state of the athletic department and 2) irritated with the Pollyanna attitude of some fans.

Valid points. Although the notion of "Pollyanna" fans(and media) is a little overstated, in my opinion.

No one cares really. I just find it hard to believe he'll stop posting, and such, to save face, it'll be easier for him to get a new name.

This. Had the extension/buyout increase been publicly announced at the time it would have been ridiculed by a portion of the fan base but it also would have said to potential recruits: "We know this is a down year but we have full faith in Fran McCaffery and the future of Iowa basketball."

Now it comes across as a weasel AD who's content with the mediocre to low standing of his two principal revenue-producing sports and has little expectation of the coaches who run them, but who feels he needs to hide what was certain to be a controversial announcement back in November.

Increasingly coming around to the view that the fish stinks from the head. Barta needs to be replaced.
How about barta's boss? Or at least talk to us.Sounds like if money and image "MYTH"cool, stay the course no? Yo pray for surf.

Valid points. Although the notion of "Pollyanna" fans(and media) is a little overstated, in my opinion.

No one cares really. I just find it hard to believe he'll stop posting, and such, to save face, it'll be easier for him to get a new name.

I find it funny when someone who is so extreme on one side all the time can label themselves objective. How can you have such little self awareness?

Chill everyone, we're not "blueblood" or a major program, Iowa and its fanbase are far to polite to hold a coach accountable for wins and losses. Pressure to win is for the "Big Boys of college sports", We should just be happy to be allowed to compete against them. Stability is the key to recruiting mediocre players, much more important than playing in the tourney. So for gosh sakes, let's set that buy-out to 100 million. You cant put a price on "stability",

Latest posts