Leistikow: What was Barta thinking?

People need to stop using the Painter comparison. It isn't even close.

First 7 years for Fran:
3 NCAA tournaments
2 NCAA wins
Best B1G finish: 3rd
B1G tourney record: 2-7

Painter first 7 years:
6 NCAA tournaments
8 NCAA wins
best B1G finishes: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd
B1G tourney: 6-6, with one championship.

Anyone that cant see how one guy earned a down year or two and the other one didn't is lying to themselves.

It isn’t an apples-to- apples comparison I agree with that. However, there are some who think he has earned a down year. It doesn’t matter now anyway he is going to get it. All you can do now is hope the program isn’t cratering.

People need to stop using the Painter comparison. It isn't even close.

First 7 years for Fran:
3 NCAA tournaments
2 NCAA wins
Best B1G finish: 3rd
B1G tourney record: 2-7

Painter first 7 years:
6 NCAA tournaments
8 NCAA wins
best B1G finishes: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd
B1G tourney: 6-6, with one championship.

Anyone that cant see how one guy earned a down year or two and the other one didn't is lying to themselves.

Or people just understand where the Purdue basketball program was at before Painter (Purdue's most winningest coach in history of Purdue basketball) and where the Iowa basketball program was before McCaffery (Lickliter, probably the worst coach to ever be hired at the university).

Or people just understand where the Purdue basketball program was at before Painter (Purdue's most winningest coach in history of Purdue basketball) and where the Iowa basketball program was before McCaffery (Lickliter, probably the worst coach to ever be hired at the university).
Just outta curiosity (I know the answer is never) but when do you and others like you plan on stopping with that excuse?

Basketball is the easiest major college sport to turn around. Fran took terrible to mediocre and is now trending back to terrible

Just outta curiosity (I know the answer is never) but when do you and others like you plan on stopping with that excuse?

Basketball is the easiest sport to turn around. Fran took terrible to mediocre and is now trending back to terrible

It's not an excuse. Tell me what in that sentence is false?

Iowa basketball hasn't made it to the sweet 16 in 20 some odd years. We are not Iowa of the 1970's, not to mention basketball is not what it was in the 1970's. If you want to bask in those years, be my guest. You said that people should stop using the Painter to McCaffery comparison because they're entirely different, and to that I would say yes you're right they're different. But different in a way that does allow people to use that as a comparison because the programs status before both coaches got there were entirely different. Do I expect Fran to make it to the NCAA more within the next 3 years? Absolutely. But I also believe that he will. Gene Keady>Todd Lickliter and it's not even remotely close, even in his Butler years. At some point with a coach at the helm there is a line where you can't talk about the coach before, but I don't think after what Iowa basketball has done in the last 20 years that year is year 8. So yes, you can compare Matt Painter to Fran McCaffery in their situations.

Iowa basketball hasn't made it to the sweet 16 in 20 some odd years. We are not Iowa of the 1970's, not to mention basketball is not what it was in the 1970's. If you want to bask in those years, be my guest. You said that people should stop using the Painter to McCaffery comparison because they're entirely different, and to that I would say yes you're right they're different. But different in a way that does allow people to use that as a comparison because the programs status before both coaches got there were entirely different. Do I expect Fran to make it to the NCAA more within the next 3 years? Absolutely. But I also believe that he will. Gene Keady>Todd Lickliter and it's not even remotely close, even in his Butler years. At some point with a coach at the helm there is a line where you can't talk about the coach before, but I don't think after what Iowa basketball has done in the last 20 years that year is year 8. So yes, you can compare Matt Painter to Fran McCaffery in their situations.

Let me first say that Fran is entitled to a down year, but previous coaches failures are no longer an excuse 8+ years into your tenure. It's Fran's program now, and has been for some time.

Fran's tenure has been overall pretty uninspiring. Just a couple half seasons where the team won big, only to have that come crashing down once the calendar turned from January to February.

If you look at winning percentages, NCAA appearances, etc. Fran and Alford are eerily similar. Except for the fact that Alford at least won a couple Big 10 tournaments. Fran also has better facilities, etc. to work with than Alford, does he not?

Alford:
Iowa: 152–106 (.589) 61–67 (.477)

Fran:
Iowa: 151–120 (.558) 67–75 (.472)

3 NCAA appearances for each. Fran has one more NCAA win (2).

Doesn't scream for an 8-digit buyout IMO.

Last edited:
Let me first say that Fran is entitled to a down year, but previous coaches failures are no longer an excuse 8+ years into your tenure. It's Fran's program now, and has been for some time.

Fran's tenure has been overall pretty uninspiring. Just a couple half seasons where the team won big, only to have that come crashing down once the calendar turned from January to February.

If you look at winning percentages, NCAA appearances, etc. Fran and Alford are eerily similar. Except for the fact that Alford at least won a couple Big 10 tournaments. Fran also has better facilities, etc. to work with than Alford, does he not?

All valid points. I don't think pointing out where Iowa and Purdue were before both coaches got here are excuses however. That's more a less the point I was making. Fran's "body of work" does deserve the 1 down year as you pointed out. I also would point out that Alford came off Tom Davis, who is arguably one of our best coaches throughout the years. He didn't have to build his career from the ground up so to speak, whereas Fran has.

I was still fairly young when Alford was coach at Iowa, so don't remember exact stats and such, but Fran has brought teams into the top 10 of rankings which is something I'm not sure I have ever remembered growing up. Granted, as you said they have stumbled after hitting that stride, but I wouldn't say other than Devyn Marble's senior year did they just crash and burn. They've recovered or ended strong, until eventually running into brick walls in the second rounds of the NCAA. One thing I wish i did remember better about the Alford years was how much development took place in his players, whereas with Fran you can see that players under his coaching have made some players make significant developments and others just developments but most players have come out of Iowa better than they came in.

The way I look at tournament wins is NCAA>B10. You could flip that stat on it's head and say well at least Fran has a couple NCAA wins. Wins Fran should have as his teams were better than their opponents. That's also something Alford can't say, he didn't win NCAA games that he should've won. I know that's nit picky, but I value Fran's wins and seasons more than Alford's. Now, I entirely expect more from Fran especially with some good recruiting classes coming in. Fran may have better facilities, as you pointed out, but coaches who were coaching when Alford was coaching had the same exact facilities. It's not like Fran has significant facilities compared to other universities around the states. I think compared to other coaches, Fran and Alford had similar instances where the facilities were pretty average with the rest of the country.

Alford:

Fran:

Boy, perception is a weird thing, isn't it? Alford's W/L record got him essentially run out of town by GarBar, while Fran's W/L record got him a $9mil multiyear extension.

Boy, perception is a weird thing, isn't it? Alford's W/L record got him essentially run out of town by GarBar, while Fran's W/L record got him a $9mil multiyear extension.

I mean Alford was looking around for a change of scenery. Barta may have promoted it, but I don't think you can say he ran him out. My understanding of the extension is that it was done before the year even started which I think a lot of people on here would have supported after the "body of work" Fran had prior to this season. It shouldn't have gone under the radar for so long, there's no excuse for that definitely. They were a missed call at Minny, and a big shot at Nebby away from the tournament for the 4th year in a row. I understand a contract extension entirely at that point.

Yeah, and 40% of those 20 years have been Fran. I am not gonna give him a pass for sucking because he is a part of the sucking.

Oh, you can absolutely compare Fran to painter, but you might as well compare him to coach K while you are at it.

Fran isn’t where he should be a decade in. He isn’t gonna be.

Jeez, even cyclone football fans don’t put up with this crap. They ran McCarney off after not only turning it around but giving them the best few years in their history.

Last edited:
Um didn't Fran publicly support a 25 yr old FELON who partook in the armed robbery of a senior citizen and did years in prison? Not jail...prison. Let's not pretend Fran is a saint.
If a rapist isn't a felon, they should be.

Alford also publicly and privately threatened and intimidated the victim.

He called Iowa a "football school" (If so, he should have known what he was getting into. He played against Iowa on a yearly basis).

He was a general bag around town, around University employees, and around Carver staff.

Fran's involvement with Anthony Hubbard on any level was not his finest hour. That I will agree.

But the Pierre Pierce stench apparently didn't sit well with GarBar. He told Alford improvement was needed. But Fran got the extension.

That's a piss poor excuse.

Alford:

Fran:

It's exactly what Gutless Gary likes. MEDIOCRE.

He called Iowa a "football school" (If so, he should have known what he was getting into. He played against Iowa on a yearly basis).

He was a general bag around town, around University employees, and around Carver staff.

Fran's involvement with Anthony Hubbard on any level was not his finest hour. That I will agree.

But the Pierre Pierce stench apparently didn't sit well with GarBar. He told Alford improvement was needed. But Fran got the extension.
Well...Gutless Gary has created his own stench around Iowa athletics. His record makes Alfraud look like John Wooden.

Oh I agree on The Hair. I just don't get how some are so quick to forget the Hubbard ordeal.

Latest posts