Leistikow Says Petras Will Start Saturday

Not surprising... Just ugh. I'll be curious how full the stands are. I know all the games have been sold out so the $ is spent. But what would surprise me is a full stadium. I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to think they have better things to do.

Hawk fans are resilient

Have been since the beginning of time

Actually, when all is said and done, it is just another loss

The winner in the last two Ohio State games scored 54 points

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to give up on this year and start building for the future. Time to bring in Joey Labas and let him get his experience now. After 6 turnovers against OSU, how could it be any worse? Maybe Labas can run for a few first downs.
Both Pertras and Padilla are not D-1 QBs. Labas is now in his second year and yet hasn't really been considered by the coaching staff. I know Ferentz is stubborn but not stupid as he has made changes in the past when things got bad AND THEY ARE BAD so what does that say about Labas???

Since this is a throw away season we should be working in both the #2 and #3. We need to move forward or even run Cooper DeJean at Wildcat or former HS QB Bruce, let him run some plays, option a few whatever give me one good reason to watch one more game.

Hard to tell if your assertion is fair or not. I agree Padilla was put into a really tough spot. Two turnovers on his first three touches, though? Wicked bad.

I would like Padilla to start moving ahead, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen. At least he's mobile.
I've seen this a few times here and although this is very bad, Petras had 2 turnovers in his first 7 plays as a 3rd year starter with 2 weeks to prepare. I think we can assume Padilla had minimal to no 1st team reps over the two weeks, so I'll excuse him a little for having a rough start at the Shoe. Hard to tell if the botched snap was all his fault, but not unexplainable with a new QB and unfamiliar center. 2nd turnover hit Laporta's hand, although too far out in front, and was tipped into an INT. not great, but his half was hardly as bad a Petras. Especially considering who had the most experience and practice reps.

Padilla showed that his mobility is an asset as he escaped at least 3 sacks that Petras would have easily taken. Against a lesser team, he may have been able to pick up some yards or complete a pass with his sack escapes. I'll take that over what we're getting from Petras all day.

I also wouldnt be against trying Labas or May since the season is essentially over.

I've seen this a few times here and although this is very bad, Petras had 2 turnovers in his first 7 plays as a 3rd year starter and 2 weeks to prepare. I think we can assume Padilla had minimal to no 1st team reps over the two weeks to prepare. So I'll excuse him a little for having a rough start at the Shoe. Hard to tell if the botched snap was all his fault, but not unexplainable with a new QB and unfamiliar center. 2nd turnover hit Laporta's hand, although too far out in front, and was tipped into an INT. not great, but his half was hardly as bad a Petras. Especially considering who had the most experience and practice reps.

Padilla showed that his mobility is an asset as he escaped at least 3 sacks that Petras would have easily taken. Against a lesser team, he may have been able to pick up some yards or complete a pass with his sack escapes. I'll take that over what we're getting from Petras all day.

I also wouldnt be against trying Labas or May since the season is essentially over.
I agree with you, but really want to temper the expectations of an angry fan base who previously thought that perhaps Padilla was going to be a savior. That's not fair to him.

The only advantage I can see so far is that Padilla is mobile. That's a big upgrade over the much slower Petras.

I agree with you, but really want to temper the expectations of an angry fan base who previously thought that perhaps Padilla was going to be a savior. That's not fair to him.

The only advantage I can see so far is that Padilla is mobile. That's a big upgrade over the much slower Petras.
Do those people exist? No joke I'm curious. I know lots of folks who'd rather have had him playing and gotten a shot yet they don't think he's a savior or anything close to it. I don't think Michael Vick could have much success with this Oline and play calling. Yet I just think Petras is so bad and immobile that Padilla should be getting a shot. He should get 1st team reps in practice for the week and get to start. Not sure that's going to happen but we'll see.

If Padilla ends up being an equally shitty passer but can turn a couple sacks per game into positive yardage, that could seriously be the difference against these last 5 teams.
or even incomplete passes
I thought he did a great job on that busted play where he was getting sacked and just about to hit the deck and got rid of it. There was another one where he was running for his life and had to launch it; Petras would've stood there and gotten sacked.

Since this is a throw away season we should be working in both the #2 and #3. We need to move forward or even run Cooper DeJean at Wildcat or former HS QB Bruce, let him run some plays, option a few whatever give me one good reason to watch one more game.
DeJean is too valuable as a DB to risk doing something like that. He's an eventual All-American and you don't go fucking with Phil Parker's mojo.

At that particular point in time

It simply had to be done

However in retrospect, perhaps Spence wouldn't have fumbled the first Hawk play in the second half

Also, there was a 50/50 proposition that he wouldn't have thrown an interception on the second play

Padilla in the Lion's Den was more welcome than Padilla

Padilla is much more mobile than Spence

One would think that they would drill the possibility of overthrowing a pass rather than taking a sack

But: Brian might not be aware of that aspect

If we had a solid second string on D, things would be somewhat better

Might have resulted in a win over the clowns

Hawk D was the player of the game

I go back to the line of BS that both KF and BF have fed to us about Petras, all of the sudden Petras being the better QB and who gives the the best chance to win went out the door in the first half of the Ohio State game? I agree a change needed to be made, but this should have happened weeks ago. If they are going to point to on field performance in the first half against Ohio State as to why they benched Petras then what the hell were they watching during the ISU, Illinois, SDSU, and the other 6 games of the season?

I agree that more mobility is needed at the QB position with as bad as the line has played. But you and I are 2 guys posting in a forum why couldn't the guys who get paid to make these decisions see this?

This team should be 5-2 right now. The normal KF offensive game script would have beaten ISU and Illinois with this defense. It took a complete disaster of an offense to lose those 2 games. It's so friggin bad that Iowa is the laughing stock of college football, hell I just read an article in the US Today about Iowa football....IOWA!

I did that last year in a baseball game. My son was a freshman starter and I had another kid's (also freshman) parents up my ass the whole year screaming about favoritism, and the kid in question was being a rat harassing my kid on SnapChat about it.

I finally had enough and played him a whole game against a .500 team. Went 0-4, 4 Ks, and 3 errors. There were some tears in the dugout but I never heard a word again after that from him or his 'rents. He actually turned into somewhat of a leader on JV because he knew that that's where he fit at that point in his HS career.

But I think this is a different situation. I don't think Padilla was malicious. Kirk did that as a middle finger to fans.
I believe it just made sense to get Petras off the field. And, the coaches have stated again and again that they trust Spencer and Alex. Not buying some ulterior motive.

hell I just read an article in the US Today about Iowa football....IOWA!
We didn't even get this much national attention the week after beating PSU last year, and the last time before that was 2015.

Fun fact...if you guys remember when Kirk got his picture in the NY Times walking into the stadium with his briefcase during the Hawk Walk...I'm in that picture. So there you go, ole Fryowa is right there for you to see.

Both Petras and Padilla are very much D-1 quarterbacks.

They might not be P5 quarterbacks, but they could easily thrive in the Group of 5 conferences.
I am surprised to hear you say that. Not arguing, just surprised. Hmm.

Do those people exist? No joke I'm curious. I know lots of folks who'd rather have had him playing and gotten a shot yet they don't think he's a savior or anything close to it. I don't think Michael Vick could have much success with this Oline and play calling. Yet I just think Petras is so bad and immobile that Padilla should be getting a shot. He should get 1st team reps in practice for the week and get to start. Not sure that's going to happen but we'll see.
Maybe not on HN, but hell yes, these people exist. They only blame the QB. Sources of evidence include comment sections on facebook , etc. (seriously, I'm afraid to say), as well as listening to boneheads at kinnick.

Most of us know the coaching has been bad, the schemes suck, and that the o line is terrible in addition to QB play. Some don't get that. They think only the QB matters. Really. I know, it's hard to believe.

I got into a discussion with a guy at Kinnick where I basically said it's much more than just the QB and he told me I was full of it.

Honestly, Iowa fans are pretty notorious for just wanting the second string quarterback to save the day. Kinda like Vikings fans. Some of those folks wanted Stanley gone, too. These people exist.

Joey Labas is the next heisman and all that.

Chad Leistikow has a text group where people get scoops before they actually get published publicly.

He said, “Based on what I’m hearing I’d expect to see Petras be the starter this week. Coaches see a big gap between 1 and 2.”

Says he expects Kurt to announce it tomorrow instead of keeping it under his hat.

There you have it folks. The evidence that KF is purposely doing shit to the detriment of Hawkeye sports is mounting. I’ll still drive 5.5 hours one way this weekend and pay for a motel, but I won’t feel good about it.
I’d offer to buy your tickets and save you the trip if I could stomach the 50% chance of losing to Titzgerald (in a year that he isn’t even overperforming).

I’d offer to buy your tickets and save you the trip if I could stomach the 50% chance of losing to Titzgerald (in a year that he isn’t even overperforming).
I’d actually rather watch at home because this is gonna be the longest 3 day stretch I’ve had in a while.

My kid is running state XC in Dirty Dodge on Friday, then to Cedar Falls after that for an overnight, then IC for the game, then back home after the game, and then up at 6 to drive him an hour to a group hill workout with a private coach.

Like others, I would hope that they would just go with Padilla the rest of the year. Having said that, I don't think it matters. I expect they will both look pretty bad, as they QB a bad offense with a bad scheme, a bad O line, a bad running game, limited game changers at skill positions and the Ferentzian leadership model at the helm.

Again, I would hope they would go with Padilla, but two of his first three plays on Saturday were turnovers. I hope if he plays, fans on the internet won't call him trash. I feel sorry for QBs at Iowa, honestly.
I disagree, Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win. This OL is so bad they can't hold their water. Padilla's T/O's are not the kind to be repeated, Petras's are. If Padilla just avoids big negative yards and we allow the D to play Iowa wins out. We just need the O to get out of their way and just play field position.

Maybe not on HN, but hell yes, these people exist. They only blame the QB. Sources of evidence include comment sections on facebook , etc. (seriously, I'm afraid to say), as well as listening to boneheads at kinnick.

Most of us know the coaching has been bad, the schemes suck, and that the o line is terrible in addition to QB play. Some don't get that. They think only the QB matters. Really. I know, it's hard to believe.

I got into a discussion with a guy at Kinnick where I basically said it's much more than just the QB and he told me I was full of it.

Honestly, Iowa fans are pretty notorious for just wanting the second string quarterback to save the day. Kinda like Vikings fans. Some of those folks wanted Stanley gone, too. These people exist.

Joey Labas is the next heisman and all that.
Says every fan base in the country that doesn't have a Brady or Rogers.