Leistikow Says Petras Will Start Saturday

Fryowa

Administrator
Chad Leistikow has a text group where people get scoops before they actually get published publicly.

He said, “Based on what I’m hearing I’d expect to see Petras be the starter this week. Coaches see a big gap between 1 and 2.”

Says he expects Kurt to announce it tomorrow instead of keeping it under his hat.

There you have it folks. The evidence that KF is purposely doing shit to the detriment of Hawkeye sports is mounting. I’ll still drive 5.5 hours one way this weekend and pay for a motel, but I won’t feel good about it.

Not that I don't want a change, because I do. Petras can never start another Iowa game and I'll be fine, but if we're being 100 here, nothing the back up did on Saturday gave me reason to think he's a significantly better option. That gap exist IRL in my opinion and since it does, it's hard to argue that Spencer DOES give us the best chance to win.

All that said, please, stop trotting Spencer out there, he's had his shot.

So why Padilla was fed to the wolves on Saturday is even more irritating.
See, there, I feel like that was out of spite a little. That was old man Kirk saying "everyone's calling for the back up, let's show em why we think that's a bad idea" ....which is complete and utter bullshit. They should have been implementing Padilla the last 2 weeks when that transition could have been way easier and most of all, way more fair to Alex.

Chad Leistikow has a text group where people get scoops before they actually get published publicly.

He said, “Based on what I’m hearing I’d expect to see Petras be the starter this week. Coaches see a big gap between 1 and 2.”

Says he expects Kurt to announce it tomorrow instead of keeping it under his hat.

There you have it folks. The evidence that KF is purposely doing shit to the detriment of Hawkeye sports is mounting. I’ll still drive 5.5 hours one way this weekend and pay for a motel, but I won’t feel good about it.
Like others, I would hope that they would just go with Padilla the rest of the year. Having said that, I don't think it matters. I expect they will both look pretty bad, as they QB a bad offense with a bad scheme, a bad O line, a bad running game, limited game changers at skill positions and the Ferentzian leadership model at the helm.

Again, I would hope they would go with Padilla, but two of his first three plays on Saturday were turnovers. I hope if he plays, fans on the internet won't call him trash. I feel sorry for QBs at Iowa, honestly.

If Petras has been getting 90% plus of the reps with the first team going back to camp, how can the coaches know what the gap is? The performance is god awful is games. It's hard to imagine any scholarship quarterback on the roster getting all the first team reps and doing worse in games than what we've seen. Why not try?

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to give up on this year and start building for the future. Time to bring in Joey Labas and let him get his experience now. After 6 turnovers against OSU, how could it be any worse? Maybe Labas can run for a few first downs.

Again, I would hope they would go with Padilla, but two of his first three plays on Saturday were turnovers. I hope if he plays, fans on the internet won't call him trash.
Padilla got thrown in the worst possible position you could put him in. Hasn't played in over a year, against what I think is the best team in the country, in a road game of 110,000 people. He did as well as anyone could expect IMO.

Not surprising... Just ugh. I'll be curious how full the stands are. I know all the games have been sold out so the $ is spent. But what would surprise me is a full stadium. I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to think they have better things to do.

See, there, I feel like that was out of spite a little. That was old man Kirk saying "everyone's calling for the back up, let's show em why we think that's a bad idea"
I did that last year in a baseball game. My son was a freshman starter and I had another kid's (also freshman) parents up my ass the whole year screaming about favoritism, and the kid in question was being a rat harassing my kid on SnapChat about it.

I finally had enough and played him a whole game against a .500 team. Went 0-4, 4 Ks, and 3 errors. There were some tears in the dugout but I never heard a word again after that from him or his 'rents. He actually turned into somewhat of a leader on JV because he knew that that's where he fit at that point in his HS career.

But I think this is a different situation. I don't think Padilla was malicious. Kirk did that as a middle finger to fans.

Last edited:
I did that last year in a baseball game. My son was a freshman starter and I had another kid's (also freshman) parents up my ass the whole year screaming about favoritism, and the kid in question was being a rat harassing my kid on SnapChat about it.

I finally had enough and played him a whole game against a .500 team. Went 0-4, 4 Ks, and 3 errors. There were some tears in the dugout but I never heard a word again after that from him or his 'rents. He actually turned into somewhat of a leader on JV because he knew that that's where he fit at that point in his HS career.

But I think this is a different situation. I don't think Padilla was malicious. Kirk did that as a middle finger to fans.
That's funny. I don't disagree that they are starting the right guy between the two of them.

this

If Padilla ends up being an equally shitty passer but can turn a couple sacks per game into positive yardage, that could seriously be the difference against these last 5 teams.

Reactions: haw
Where's Ken O'Keefe in all these QB discussions? He recruited Petras, Padilla, and Labas. Looking at the programs chasing these young men prior to their commitments is not going to impress too many people.

Isn't O'Keefe suppose to have to have an "off the field" role with the Hawks currently? I won't even guess what that might entail? Kirk certainly takes care of his own.

So why Padilla was fed to the wolves on Saturday is even more irritating.

At that particular point in time

It simply had to be done

However in retrospect, perhaps Spence wouldn't have fumbled the first Hawk play in the second half

Also, there was a 50/50 proposition that he wouldn't have thrown an interception on the second play

Daniel in the Lion's Den was more welcome than Padilla

Padilla is much more mobile than Spence

One would think that they would drill the possibility of overthrowing a pass rather than taking a sack

But: Brian might not be aware of that aspect

If we had a solid second string on D, things would be somewhat better

Might have resulted in a win over the clowns

Hawk D was the player of the game

Last edited:
Padilla got thrown in the worst possible position you could put him in. Hasn't played in over a year, against what I think is the best team in the country, in a road game of 110,000 people. He did as well as anyone could expect IMO.
Hard to tell if your assertion is fair or not. I agree Padilla was put into a really tough spot. Two turnovers on his first three touches, though? Wicked bad.

I would like Padilla to start moving ahead, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen. At least he's mobile.

If Padilla ends up being an equally shitty passer but can turn a couple sacks per game into positive yardage, that could seriously be the difference against these last 5 teams.
This. And god forbid you actually install 2 or 3 running plays for the QB. Imagine the defense's surprise! Sometimes you can't run the QB if you only have one QB with experience...but Padilla has won games vs BTen competition, as has Petras. Losing one QB to injury while running the ball would not cripple this team.

Latest posts