BF to Maryland

I'm almost surprised he even took a job and didn't just take the yr off. Uprooting his family to go out there for whatever an analyst gets paid is certainly showing dedication to the profession. I forget he's only 41 though he can't lay around and do nothing for that long either. Still going clear out there seems odd but who knows what other options he had if any.

BF seemed a little burnt out his last 2 years. Going through the motions but you can tell he had given up. He did the best he could and just wasn't good enough. He needs some time to recharge his batteries.

Working for MD may be good for him in the long run. He needs to deprogram his whole way of thinking. Time to start thinking completely different.

Think he even needs to relocate? Might be able to do the job from Iowa City, fly in for a couple nights each week during the season. I'm guessing he isn't moving his family for that job.

Think he even needs to relocate? Might be able to do the job from Iowa City, fly in for a couple nights each week during the season. I'm guessing he isn't moving his family for that job.
I'm guessing he'll be home a hell of a lot more than he was when he was OC in Iowa City.

During practice and camp months I'm guessing the guy went to work at 5AM and didn't get home till midnight or later, and during the regular season all bets are off. Fly out Friday morning, get home Sunday morning, sleep a little, head back to the football building for six more days of 14 hour work days of film, workouts, film, meetings, practice, film, meetings, press, film, recruiting, meetings, and more meetings...and repeat the cycle. BTW I don't feel sorry for these guys...they choose to do it and make an assload of money.

Sounds to me like a consulting job would be WAY less strenuous and stressful and I'd bet my house a lot of it can and will be done by Teams/Zoom.

Working for MD may be good for him in the long run.
Still a B1G gig but zero expectations of success.

No matter what happens you can always use the excuse, "Yeah, but we're Maryland..."

And you'd be correct.

I thought Bill O’Brien would have brought him on in…in some capacity at BC. Damage goods, bringing on more damage goods, isn’t the wisest move, so I get it.

Last edited:
I'm almost surprised he even took a job and didn't just take the yr off. Uprooting his family to go out there for whatever an analyst gets paid is certainly showing dedication to the profession. I forget he's only 41 though he can't lay around and do nothing for that long either. Still going clear out there seems odd but who knows what other options he had if any.
I'd be surprised if he's going to move his family. He can't be in contact with the players anyway and has the money to commute. would probably just spend a couple days a week in the building and work from home/through zoom the rest of the time.

I'd be surprised if he's going to move his family. He can't be in contact with the players anyway and has the money to commute. would probably just spend a couple days a week in the building and work from home/through zoom the rest of the time.
Probably just depends on whatever kind of setup/arrangement they've come to. Those analyst jobs are weird. You're right he might not have to uproot family for it.

Probably just depends on whatever kind of setup/arrangement they've come to. Those analyst jobs are weird. You're right he might not have to uproot family for it.
I supposed it's like in baseball where teams have a roving instructor, which is defined by the Baseball Almanac as:

A coach who visits the various minor-league affiliates of a major-league team to provide instruction wherever needed.

He can move up the ladder from where he is now. I think he was quite good when he coached the OLine. As he moves up the ladder he can decide whether to move his family. He could probably move his family and keep his home in Iowa City. I spent two summers there and loved it.

I'm not looking to kick any dirt on the guy at this point - genuinely hope he finds a good path for himself in coming years.

But I am interested in what his options were. Do you think he basically decided to take a redshirt year this year? In other words, do you think Brian was looking to recharge this year, wasn't going to entertain moving his family, wanted to play a bigger role in his kids' daily lives, etc., and so was only really looking at analyst type jobs, and primarily as a way to stay involved and prevent a gap in his resume?

Or do you think he actually pursued OL/TE jobs in the NFL and P5 conferences and was more than willing to relocate? And this analyst gig at a lower mid-tier Big Ten school (at best) was the best opportunity he could find?

Maybe they're going to take a page from Michigan's "analyst" position and have him flying around the country scouting upcoming opponents. His family can live wherever they want if he's travelling all the time.

I'm not looking to kick any dirt on the guy at this point - genuinely hope he finds a good path for himself in coming years.

But I am interested in what his options were. Do you think he basically decided to take a redshirt year this year? In other words, do you think Brian was looking to recharge this year, wasn't going to entertain moving his family, wanted to play a bigger role in his kids' daily lives, etc., and so was only really looking at analyst type jobs, and primarily as a way to stay involved and prevent a gap in his resume?

Or do you think he actually pursued OL/TE jobs in the NFL and P5 conferences and was more than willing to relocate? And this analyst gig at a lower mid-tier Big Ten school (at best) was the best opportunity he could find?
He has an agent and a Dad with connections. I have to believe he put his name out there quietly and this was his best option available. I am not shocked. I mean the guy was a national story and a punchline for the better part of two seasons. Cannot imagine he has suitors banging down his door.

Scott Frost has started to put his name out there too, and no one is biting.

Sometimes, the name is smeared enough that a good gig is not available. So yes, you kind of have to go through rehab by being an analyst, or even dropping down a level or two and coaching at like a UNI for a couple years.

He has an agent and a Dad with connections. I have to believe he put his name out there quietly and this was his best option available. I am not shocked. I mean the guy was a national story and a punchline for the better part of two seasons. Cannot imagine he has suitors banging down his door.

Sometimes, the name is smeared enough that a good gig is not available. So yes, you kind of have to go through rehab by being an analyst, or even dropping down a level or two and coaching at like a UNI for a couple years.
I tend to agree, although I wonder if he was somewhat selective based on the stability of the opportunity?

In other words, if the only opportunities to be an OL or TE coach at P5 schools were at places that the coach seemed to be on the hot seat and/or it was fairly likely a heading coach change would occur after next season, then I'm not sure he would have been willing to accept it and uproot his family from Iowa City.

He's more like a fired head coach with financial security in that regard. He doesn't really have to worry about future earnings.

That said, the analyst spot he accepted might be eye-opening. That kind of move looks a lot better, and is easier to spin, when it is with an NFL franchise, a college football powerhouse, or a legendary/innovative head coach. Or someone you have deep ties to. Not sure I see any of that with Maryland.

Yeah I'd kinda heard some of that too. Kinda wild that BF got a gig before he did... Frosty has some personal issues dragging him down I think. If it the only issues he had going on were football related he'd have gotten another gig of some kind by now. BF is pretty much proof to that.

Yeah I'd kinda heard some of that too. Kinda wild that BF got a gig before he did... Frosty has some personal issues dragging him down I think. If it the only issues he had going on were football related he'd have gotten another gig of some kind by now. BF is pretty much proof to that.
Frost is also sitting on a 16 million dollar buy out, so he can be more choosy. He wants back in and he will get an opportunity. He just needs to convince one HC that he will approach the job professionally as OC. He honestly should have went to rehab. Worked for Sark. He is too young and had a wildly successful resume until he got to Nebbie. He still knows how to call plays and coach.

Latest posts