Lebron James is a DB

It reminded me of the whole Seantrel Henderson fiasco. Hey I know Lebron is a great player, but I wouldn't want a guy on my team who clearly thinks it's all about him.

This was over the top.

a perfect metaphor (or perhaps example) of what's wrong with the NBA. A great team sport turned into a "me, me, me" soap opera group of punks.

And David Stern is largely to blame. After Magic, Bird (and then Michael) rejuvenated the league...Stern decided that an emphasis on marketing individual stars was the way to grow the league. That may sell more jerseys but it killed the "basketball".

Last edited:
At first I was in the same camp...why be dramatic about leaving your home team that has built a program around you. Now thinking about it, I have changed my mind a little.

1.) In an era where money is the driving factor, Lebron chose to take less(though I doubt he will notice given his rediculus sponsors)

2.) In an era of Ego, Lebron chose a team that he will have to take less shots, share the spotlight and not own the city he lives in.
(though he did schedule his own special...catch is all the money went to charity).

Should he have announced on a ESPN special...prob not. But at the end of the day I cant hate of the guys desicion to leave. I certainly dont think the GM should write a scathing letter and fans burn his jersey...

Lebron and Tiger both just went from "most beloved" to "most hated" in their sport.

I can understand how 1 person having a special about where they will play can rub others the wrong way, but at least all the money from the special was going to the Boys and Girls club, and the special was held at a Boys and Girls club so at least some kids got to be there to see the moment. Aside from the special, I am agreeing with JLoss, everything about his decision says it was all about the team and not just about him. He took less money so the team could get better role players, he is no longer the only superstar on his team he has to share the spotlight, and he didn't choose the city/team whose only selling point was that they would make him a bigger celebrity (NY).

It was over the top, yes. Lebron, ESPN, some in the media, that was too much.

But Lebron had a legal option to leave. Lebron signed a three year deal with Cleveland and basically gave them three years to improve the team. When they didn't sign Stodamire it was over. I cannot blame him for leaving. He doesn't really owe them anything, other than perhaps a more dignified exit. He lived up to the letter of his contract

Lebron and Tiger both just went from "most beloved" to "most hated" in their sport.

I couldn't agree more! He started getting to me when he started doing that whole powder thing.. Then this whole free agency act has put it over the top.

But Lebron had a legal option to leave. Lebron signed a three year deal with Cleveland and basically gave them three years to improve the team. When they didn't sign Stodamire it was over. I cannot blame him for leaving. He doesn't really owe them anything, other than perhaps a more dignified exit. He lived up to the letter of his contract
100% agree, there is no reason for the Cleveland fans or the owner to be lashing out and bashing Lebron. He gave them the best 7 years that city has had in a long time and the best 7 years that franchise will ever have. Last year instead of getting Amare they went out and got an aging Shaq. Cleveland can only blame themselves and need to respect Lebron's decision.

Getting Amare would not have been a good move for the Cavs. Amare is terrible defensively and not a good rebounder either and also has had major knee and eye injuries. Jamison was a better fit for the Cavs, even though he was terrible against Boston. I have a feeling the Knicks will regret that max contract they gave him as it's not so easy to drop 25 a game when you don't have Steve Nash setting you up all the time.

And I don't think anyone is blaming LeBron for leaving or not living up to his contract, except maybe Cleveland fans, but to do it in the way he did was very unnecessary.

I don't fault LeBron for leaving Cleveland. The announcement could have been Miami, NY, Chicago, or Oklahoma for all I care - what chapped me is how he went about doing it. 2 years ago saying basically the next couple season don't matter because he was going to be a FA. Refers to himself in the 3rd person. Fame and money has gone to his head and he has become one of the most ego-maniacal self-centered sports figures in sports history.

Doyel has a fantastic article on it.

Latest posts