Larson and coach

bpiercehawks

I met Cody Larson and his AAU coach b/n the firing of Coach Lick and the hiring of Coach Caff. Needless to say they were upset with Gary Barta. His coach coached Mike Miller, Chad Greenway among others, and he said at this point Cody is the best of them all by quite a bit. His coach also seemed a bit upset about Iowa fans complaining about our recruiting class not being very highly rated. His coach seemed like a decent guy and a knowledgeable basketball coach. Cody didn't seem as down on the Hawks as his coach. I walked away from the conversation thinking we would lose him... Also, there were some disturbing things the coach said about a division on the team.

I'd love for us to sign Cody as he looks like he will be a stud, but I've been pretty certain for almost a month that we were in trouble.

Go Hawks!

I think Cody larson is not as good as many think he will be...if he signs with us great if not oh well...he's not Harrison Barnes...I'd rather have Basabe.

His AAU coach sounds like a tool. If he's doing his job than he shouldn't be on the message boards worried about what a bunch of hacks say that no nothing about the people invovled in his decision. 90% of the people on these boards have seen his video's on Rivals and other sites like this and that's it. So to be concerned what the message board fans think is stupid. He should be worried about what Cody wants and what is best for Cody and less concerned about 10% of a fans base that know nothing about him other than random posts.

Obviously just one person's perspective, but it was disturbing to hear about "My Hawks"! Cody and his coach also really liked Coach Walt.

I met Cody Larson and his AAU coach b/n the firing of Coach Lick and the hiring of Coach Caff. Needless to say they were upset with Gary Barta. His coach coached Mike Miller, Chad Greenway among others, and he said at this point Cody is the best of them all by quite a bit. His coach also seemed a bit upset about Iowa fans complaining about our recruiting class not being very highly rated. His coach seemed like a decent guy and a knowledgeable basketball coach. Cody didn't seem as down on the Hawks as his coach. I walked away from the conversation thinking we would lose him... Also, there were some disturbing things the coach said about a division on the team.

I'd love for us to sign Cody as he looks like he will be a stud, but I've been pretty certain for almost a month that we were in trouble.

Go Hawks!

Maybe his coach should read this then...Cody could've averaged 30 and 15 and there would've been a bunch of people on this site, complaining that he's not "doing it against great competition" and who would've bad mouthed the Fab 5 if Lickliter had recruited them just because they wanted him gone no matter what. And now they'll bad mouth him and anyone else who leaves, because they were "Lick's guys" to begin with...and since they signed with Iowa under Lickliter, they can only play his "system".

His coach should also know that message boards are usually occupied by the most fanatical of fans and not a 100% accurate guage of the entire fanbase. And he should also worry about his own job and not lurking the message boards to see if everyone's sucking his guy's...thumb.

I haven't moved on yet as I've met Cody and I like him. I do like the idea of Coach Caff recruiting the heck out of other kids that WANT to bleed black and gold!

Can someone enlighten me to the whole story about what exactly he did this year...one of my buddies said that he heard he had gotten kicked off his HS team this winter...is that true?? if so WHY?

Can someone enlighten me to the whole story about what exactly he did this year...one of my buddies said that he heard he had gotten kicked off his HS team this winter...is that true?? if so WHY?

He did get booted from his HS team...not sure exactly why, since he's a minor they don't make that stuff public, but I think the rumor was that it involved illegally obtaining prescription drugs...don't know what his involvement was in it so it's all rumor and speculation at this time.

Basically a division b/n frosh and sophs on the team. Not so nice things about a dad...

Not the first time we're hearing this. Some folks on this board don't want to believe it. Sooner or later the full story needs to come out for the air to be cleared.

Not the first time we're hearing this. Some folks on this board don't want to believe it. Sooner or later the full story needs to come out for the air to be cleared.

When a team loses 22 games, cohesion starts to break down. How much more explanation does one need?

What full story?

The story that insinuates that Mike Gatens went to Barta and said his son was going to transfer if Lick wasn't fired? It was rumored for weeks prior to Lick getting the boot that Fuller was leaving and if he did then Gatens was going to follow. This story turned out to be partly true as Gatens hasn't transferred.

Or the story about how the Freshman and the Sophomores don't get along? There is always going to be finger pointing and division on sh!tty basketball teams. You don't like to see it but it's going to happen. You can go to any rec league and see the same thing. It's human nature. Lick obviously didn't handle it well. Lick is gone and the players that remain along with the new coaching staff will work to resolve the problem.

It's not a rumor that Larson was suspended from his hs basketball team for the last 1/3 or so of the season. The kid did play in the all-star game though. His game and personality remind me of Russ Millard and Sam Okey.

hmmm so if the rumors about illegal prescription drug activity are true...thanks but no thanks...some other school can have him.

I have seen Larson play and he will be a solid player, but if his AAU coach really thinks he is better than Mike Miller at the same age he is delusional.

Larson put himself in a bad situation regarding the pain killers. He gave his prescribed pills to a person who ended up selling them and got caught. Probably could have happened to a lot of us when we were younger. Myself included.

It's not necessary to bash the kid. I'm amazed at how many angels we have on these forums. So quick to pass judgement on others.

I hope Larson has a solid career. I've moved on and would encourage others to do so as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts