Kurt Makes Us Look Stupid Again

Said it before and I'll say it again. Iowa needs to go to 12 personnel.

-We recruit and develop some of the most successful TEs in the country. Our TEs can BLOCK.

-We RB by comittee.

-The receivers KF and crew recruit and sign are little Welker/Edelman/Beasley types who mix it up from the slot and across the middle.

What more of a perfect (and effective) situation could you have for running a 2 TE set and splitting defenses in half up the middle? Sell out on the run? You're screwed. Play spread out? You're screwed.

I get that Petey still has to hit receivers in the hands, but that's with anything unless you're 1995 nebraska with felons running 450 yards a game.

You trying to take Dolphs job or what? Throw in calling the players the wrong names and I'd say you've got it
Have to also get a few buddy boys in there and a few cold ones to slam down with Eddy.

-We recruit and develop some of the most successful TEs in the country. Our TEs can BLOCK.

-We RB by comittee.

-The receivers KF and crew recruit and sign are little Welker/Edelman/Beasley types who mix it up from the slot and across the middle.

What more of a perfect (and effective) situation could you have for running a 2 TE set and splitting defenses in half up the middle? Sell out on the run? You're screwed. Play spread out? You're screwed.

I get that Petey still has to hit receivers in the hands, but that's with anything unless you're 1995 nebraska with felons running 450 yards a game.
I think we have 3 capable TEs on the roster now but these last two classes I think we've whiffed at TE and had to settle for 3rd and 4th options. We don't have much depth there as we'd like. I think the rest are 230 lb guys that need another yr in the weight room. I love how good our top 2 dudes are going to be but man let's hope they stay healthy

Dolph is a dork, but he's our dork.

When that voice is gone it's gonna be weird. Anywhere you walk on game day within 3 statute miles of Kinnick you hear Dolph and Eddie coming out of speakers somewhere.
No doubt. In the same breath that Fry and Ferentz are all we've known as coaches well Zabel and Dolph are all I know for announcers. I don't know about you but when I was a kid I listened to way more games on the radio then watched. I didn't hardly get to watch games till I was an adult. I was in a tractor or a pickup all fall long during harvest time

No doubt. In the same breath that Fry and Ferentz are all we've known as coaches well Zabel and Dolph are all I know for announcers. I don't know about you but when I was a kid I listened to way more games on the radio then watched. I didn't hardly get to watch games till I was an adult. I was in a tractor or a pickup all fall long during harvest time
You gotta make it up to a game sometime and stop by our tailgate. You won't leave hungry or thirsty.

I think we have 3 capable TEs on the roster now but these last two classes I think we've whiffed at TE and had to settle for 3rd and 4th options. We don't have much depth there as we'd like. I think the rest are 230 lb guys that need another yr in the weight room. I love how good our top 2 dudes are going to be but man let's hope they stay healthy
That transfer from Lafayette (Stilianos) is supposed to be a bad ass, and Ortwerth is definitely a good get. LaPorta's gonna be playing Sundays next year and Lachey has 3 more years left.

I definitely trust the staff on scouting transfers at that spot

You gotta make it up to a game sometime and stop by our tailgate. You won't leave hungry or thirsty.
I know. And damn it the couple times a year I head up home anymore I bring my dog with me and head up closer to your neck of the woods which is a solid 4 hours from IC. I need to just stay an extra week when I come up in Nov

That transfer from Lafayette (Stilianos) is supposed to be a bad ass, and Ortwerth is definitely a good get. LaPorta's gonna be playing Sundays next year and Lachey has 3 more years left.

I definitely trust the staff on scouting transfers at that spot
Yeah the Stillanos kid is a bigger dude too 260ish I think so he'll be in there on short yardage a lot. Lachey made a crazy athletic catch against ISU last yr where Petras threw it behind him (shocker) and he had to make a hell of a play to reach back in the air to get it. I think he's got star potential written all over him

-We RB by comittee.

I think that is the offense Iowa runs quite a bit of the time

Some people need to live forever. These are two of them.

Yeah, I don't care what school it is, legendary announcers are awesome. Kenny Chesney has a song about the Jim Zabel equivalent who called games for U of Tennessee that he wrote when the guy (John Ward) retired. It is an epic, spinal chill inducing song. Called "Touchdown Tennessee." I heard it on the Chesney station on Sirius the other day when it was 50 days until UT's season opener.

Just the first verse is amazing: "With a voice, you could hear all the way to Rocky Top
Play by play for thirty-one years it never stopped
We heard 20, 15, 10, and 5 your voice was our eyes and we could see
Touchdown Tennessee"

Maybe this board could commission Notty Boy to do a song for Dolph when he retires.

Yeah, I don't care what school it is, legendary announcers are awesome. Kenny Chesney has a song about the Jim Zabel equivalent who called games for U of Tennessee that he wrote when the guy (John Ward) retired. It is an epic, spinal chill inducing song. Called "Touchdown Tennessee." I heard it on the Chesney station on Sirius the other day when it was 50 days until UT's season opener.

Just the first verse is amazing: "With a voice, you could hear all the way to Rocky Top
Play by play for thirty-one years it never stopped
We heard 20, 15, 10, and 5 your voice was our eyes and we could see
Touchdown Tennessee"

Maybe this board could commission Notty Boy to do a song for Dolph when he retires.

Have "Touchdown Iowa." playing in the background over and over with this song with Dolphin's voice.

What happened to Zabel?

I'll take this opening to re-share my Zabel story from the 1980s.

A bunch of us lived in Quad, many who had known each other from Freshman year. Great place during hoops season as you could literally run across the street just before tipoff.

Someone decided to form the "Jim Zabel Fan Club". It was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing until membership cards were printed up and we invited Zabel to speak to the group before a Thursday night game (B1G games were always Thursday night and Saturday). We secured a side banquet room in the Quad cafeteria and they allowed us to bring in wine and beer as it was a "banquet" event.

The night arrived and things got pretty crazy, Guys were pretty lubed up. Zabel was late (of course) but about an hour before tipoff he comes rushing in to thunderous applause. He took the head table, drank one shot of something, told a handful of jokes (some corny, some dirty) and was gone in about 10 minutes.

Epic night. Somewhere along the line I lost my membership card, I know at least one guy still has his.

A bunch of us lived in Quad, many who had known each other from Freshman year. Great place during hoops season as you could literally run across the street just before tipoff.

Someone decided to form the "Jim Zabel Fan Club". It was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing until membership cards were printed up and we invited Zabel to speak to the group before a Thursday night game (B1G games were always Thursday night and Saturday). We secured a side banquet room in the Quad cafeteria and they allowed us to bring in wine and beer as it was a "banquet" event.

The night arrived and things got pretty crazy, Guys were pretty lubed up. Zabel was late (of course) but about an hour before tipoff he comes rushing in to thunderous applause. He took the head table, drank one shot of something, told a handful of jokes (some corny, some dirty) and was gone in about 10 minutes.

Epic night. Somewhere along the line I lost my membership card, I know at least one guy still has his.
Great story. Love it.

Good story. Met him when he spoke at boys state. No dirty jokes or drinks for us model citizens