KOK is baffling at times

MelroseHawkins

Sometimes he doesn't get cute when play calling when he has to & sometimes he gets too cute when he doesn't have to.

Indiana was porous stopping the run, especially at the beginning of the game. Why stop running when getting into the red zone. Keep pounding it. The fade route was obviously not working. Just pound it in until they stop you. KOK just got too cute in the red zone yesterday, IMO.

They must have seen something on film they thought they could exploit, but when a team lets you run down the field, keep running it.

Should have passed to Morse on a couple more occasions. He catches pretty much everying & gets pos yds in 8 out of 10 touches. Unlike some RB's, Morse is not a receiving liability & is pretty consistent. Use him.

I'm not getting on KOK because Iowa has had pretty decent success the past decade. I'm not a couch coach who thinks he can call an offensive game better than these college O coordinators, but sometimes KOK just leaves you scratching your head.

Sometimes he doesn't get cute when play calling when he has to & sometimes he gets too cute when he doesn't have to.

Indiana was porous stopping the run, especially at the beginning of the game. Why stop running when getting into the red zone. Keep pounding it. The fade route was obviously not working. Just pound it in until they stop you. KOK just got too cute in the red zone yesterday, IMO.

They must have seen something on film they thought they could exploit, but when a team lets you run down the field, keep running it.

Should have passed to Morse on a couple more occasions. He catches pretty much everying & gets pos yds in 8 out of 10 touches. Unlike some RB's, Morse is not a receiving liability & is pretty consistent. Use him.

I'm not getting on KOK because Iowa has had pretty decent success the past decade. I'm not a couch coach who thinks he can call an offensive game better than these college O coordinators, but sometimes KOK just leaves you scratching your head.

Watching the game, I was under the impression that the fades were checkdowns by Stanzi to take advantage of single coverage. For whatever reason, Stanzi and the passing game just had trouble getting its timing and accuracy down during the game.

As I have said before, if you look at Indiana in the red zone, they put 10 men inside the box daring Stanzi to beat them with the pass. Stanzi recognized the man to man coverage and was looking to take advantage of the height difference with DJK. Unfortunately his timing was off and was anemic with the pass inside the red zone. That being said, I think the pass gave us the best possible chance to score in the red zone, especially since Coker looked a little slow exploding through the hole.

ya, the fade route was there all day, stanzi just a tick off on those throws to the pylon. any given saturday when the manzi is clicking that's a blowout. he just had a tuff day. he's still the man!!!!!!!!! got it done when needed to and that's what matters. but agree totally with OP, run the damn thing until they stop you. Ride that horse til it bucks you on your a$$!!!!!!!

As I have said before, if you look at Indiana in the red zone, they put 10 men inside the box daring Stanzi to beat them with the pass. Stanzi recognized the man to man coverage and was looking to take advantage of the height difference with DJK. Unfortunately his timing was off and was anemic with the pass inside the red zone. That being said, I think the pass gave us the best possible chance to score in the red zone, especially since Coker looked a little slow exploding through the hole.

height advantage with DJK??? He's like 6' tall....I could understand trying the fade to McNutt, but if I recall, he kept going to DJK.

ALso, if KOK keeps calling those effin' naked bootleg rollouts 5-10 times a game, Stanzi is going to leave the field on a cart. That play works on occasion, but not every other snap. I about lost it in the 4th qtr when they needed like 10 yards and ran that play for maybe 3 yards.

height advantage with DJK??? He's like 6' tall....I could understand trying the fade to McNutt, but if I recall, he kept going to DJK.

ALso, if KOK keeps calling those effin' naked bootleg rollouts 5-10 times a game, Stanzi is going to leave the field on a cart. That play works on occasion, but not every other snap. I about lost it in the 4th qtr when they needed like 10 yards and ran that play for maybe 3 yards.

That's what I thought as well & amost included it in my original post. Many people think DJK is tall but he is not. Fades to McNutt would make more sense.

I kept watching IND load the box in the red zone and all I could think was how good a 4 WR set would look or an audible to an empty back field (would have been tough without ARob, I admit).
Or, if IND was content to load the box, trot an extra OT and 2 TEs out there.
Put 8 men across the line and man-up.
KOK can be pretty underwhelming at times

I was looking for the TE as well, they must have had them covered tight. I was also looking for the slant to McNutt. The box looked stacked the whole game. Another point I don't think I've seen posted is our first n goal average came from the 7-8 yard line. If we had been closer I think we run three times. I also think if we had arob, we score at least three times in the red zone. Nothing against coker, he had a hell of a game. I have been scratching my head for years!!

we didnt throw downfield till the 2nd half. The deep throw has killed Indiana all year so we threw nothing other than short the first half.

the little drag route over the middle is working nice altho we should throw that to Mcnutt or DJK instead of Sandeman. Get that one to someone who can turn it into a long gainer.

I would have liked to have seen KOK keep on running. It was there for us; have to think at least one or two of those possessions could have led to TDs by keeping it on the ground.

KOK! KOK! KOK! Do you GUYS ever think of anything besides KOK?!? Geez.

Some of Iowa's best plays come from deeper routes where the WR's cross the middle of the field, not fades really. I thought the play calling was just ATROCIOUS against IU, when we started the second half it looked like we were switching things back to normal effective offense, that was short lived though, not happening again really until the 88 yard drive. Where was that the rest of the game? It's just silly to throw short passes in the flat all the time if Indiana has played well against that sort of play.

Anywho, if ARob was in we would have crushed them. Coker was slower and had fewer moves, he needs more experience. Their rushing D had plenty of holes that ARob would have exploited, he's practicing this week so that's a good sign for Iowa. Gooo Hawks!

One thing I'd like to see is to put Chaney in the back field and swing him out, with his speed and a linebacker covering him that would put him in space and he should be able to out run any linebacker....

we didnt throw downfield till the 2nd half.

Stanzi also wasn't the most accurate in the first half, as evidenced by his overthrows in the red zone on the fade routes and the INT that was just an awful throw.

Yes, he settled down later, but it was another reason we should've pounded it on the ground in the red zone.

Stanzi was off, and it showed in the red zone.

Coker did get the ball a few times during our trips inside the Indiana 10-15yd line, but the guy averaged 0 yards. He lost a yard, and gained a yard. I think he was a bit too slow to get past all those Indiana guys.

When a team with the 9th/10th ranked red zone defense in the conference can stuff your up to then awesome offense, then you clearly have a problem. I don't know if it was the lack of ARob, or if Stanzi was just having an off day, if the receivers weren't playing well, or if the play calls were bad, but something was just wrong with our red zone offense yesterday.

Latest posts