Kirk’s social media rules..

ottoman89

Is it time (and I’m going to say it’s long overdue) for Kirk to take his twitter and social media bans and throw them away?

There’s no way to tell how much (it at all) it hurts recruiting, however these kids grow up on social media and communicate with friends, etc. So you can only assume what it does.

Or are you under the assumption that this has nothing to do with recruiting/getting more talented players here?

I think his social media rules have a very negative effect on recruiting. Social media is how kids communicate and “hang out”. Hell some could probably argue that KF is hampering their constitutional right of freedom of speech.

Combine that with the fact that KF isn’t a good recruiter anyway and it’s a recipe for being in middling B1G team

I think his social media rules have a very negative effect on recruiting. Social media is how kids communicate and “hang out”. Hell some could probably argue that KF is hampering their constitutional right of freedom of speech.

Combine that with the fact that KF isn’t a good recruiter anyway and it’s a recipe for being in middling B1G team

So can we say the opposite. Dabo does it at Clemson so since he is a really good Recruiter is it a recipe for Greatness :cool:

Look at the BS going on with Kyler Murray and tweets he made as a 15 yr old. Sure, they were homophobic, but he was just a dumb kid, like we all were at one point. And yet, he's getting a ton of negative attention for something that happened just under a decade ago.

In today's outrage culture, combined with the microscope of social media, it's just an unnecessary distraction.

It might be archaic, but it's not necessarily a bad idea.

Is it time (and I’m going to say it’s long overdue) for Kirk to take his twitter and social media bans and throw them away?

There’s no way to tell how much (it at all) it hurts recruiting, however these kids grow up on social media and communicate with friends, etc. So you can only assume what it does.

Or are you under the assumption that this has nothing to do with recruiting/getting more talented players here?
HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS! I have teenage kids, and, unfortunately, Social Media means everything to them. My son graduates HS in Dec, has perfect GPA and nearly perfect ACT, but if, for instance, wasn't allowed Social Media at IA, he would gladly take his 'talents' elsewhere.

That being said, of course, we know, social is a big WASTE of time, and really can only get you in trouble. Especially when athletes will probably have lots of 'followers'.

Look at the BS going on with Kyler Murray and tweets he made as a 15 yr old. Sure, they were homophobic, but he was just a dumb kid, like we all were at one point. And yet, he's getting a ton of negative attention for something that happened just under a decade ago.

In today's outrage culture, combined with the microscope of social media, it's just an unnecessary distraction.

Hard to hold a tweet against a kid before he was even committed to a college vs after he’s committed to or attending a college.

Hard to hold a tweet against a kid before he was even committed to a college vs after he’s committed to or attending a college.
Agreed, but that's exactly what's being done to Murray.

Not saying it's right, but when keyboard warriors are looking for anything to criticize others for to inflate their own sense of self-righteousness, it's more about protection than it is prevention.

Not saying it's right, but when keyboard warriors are looking for anything to criticize others for to inflate their own sense of self-righteousness, it's more about protection than it is prevention.
Oh I agree. The keyboard warriors or “trolls” can and will dig up any dirty against a kid. People forget that kids are kids. They say and do stupid crap.

Pretty fair point here. If you’re consistently posting your thoughts and feelings for the public to view sooner or later you’re going to say something that will come back and bite you. And the more successful you are, the more people will dig for dirt.

Apparently it doesn’t hurt Dabo. I just think there’s a compromise here that Kirk could take advantage of if he relaxed on that rule some. It’s clearly a very important, if not the most important thing, for that generation of athlete

Pretty fair point here. If you’re consistently posting your thoughts and feelings for the public to view sooner or later you’re going to say something that will come back and bite you. And the more successful you are, the more people will dig for dirt.

Apparently it doesn’t hurt Dabo. I just think there’s a compromise here that Kirk could take advantage of if he relaxed on that rule some. It’s clearly a very important, if not the most important thing, for that generation of athlete
It really isn't that restrictive though. Athletes still have Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. The only real restriction is no tweeting.

And I wouldn't say that it's important. I'm not much older than Murray, and I don't understand the fixation with social media some people have.

Then again, maybe I'm just lame.

I think his social media rules have a very negative effect on recruiting. Social media is how kids communicate and “hang out”.
maybe. Possibly. But there bennies to not having it too.

“Xerxes” said:
Hell some could probably argue that KF is hampering their constitutional right of freedom of speech.
I am sure there might be some that would.

They’re not very bright if they would. The 2nd Amendment is about the national government impinging on free speech.

However, the protaerian PC guards who are going back years to check social media accounts and are always trying to establish new “approved” words — they are hindering “free speech”

I wonder who has the time to look into the historical tweets of other people in the first place. Posting in our little world known as HN.com is time consuming enough, and I'm not scrolling through other posters' history to try to hang them out for something that was written 4 years ago. Who are these people - they're the ones that need to be exposed and shamed, not the other way around.

maybe. Possibly. But there bennies to not having it too.

I am sure there might be some that would.

They’re not very bright if they would. The 2nd Amendment is about the national government impinging on free speech.

However, the protaerian PC guards who are going back years to check social media accounts and are always trying to establish new “approved” words — they are hindering “free speech”
*1st amendment.

Although there is a slight argument to be made since Iowa is a state institution, could be that they're under different expectations with their scholarship and participation on the football team being voluntary.

Agreed. Someone dug up some tweets that Josh Allen posted when he was 14 right before the draft. There is just someone out on the prowl, always lurking, always digging for stuff. Yes it is archaic, but I don't blame Kirk at all for doing it. You can have all the people in the world to speak on the dangers of social media and it will not matter. If you have grownups that struggle to figure out where that line is, you think 18-22 year old people wouldn't struggle with that?

Agreed. Someone dug up some tweets that Josh Allen posted when he was 14 right before the draft. There is just someone out on the prowl, always lurking, always digging for stuff. Yes it is archaic, but I don't blame Kirk at all for doing it. You can have all the people in the world to speak on the dangers of social media and it will not matter. If you have grownups that struggle to figure out where that line is, you think 18-22 year old people wouldn't struggle with that?
Ultimately, it's people creating drama where there is none, so they can thump their chests and say they "helped".

Latest posts