Kirk’s social media rules..

The rule only covers twitter. The players still use every other social network...they are on Facebook, instagram, Snapchat and who knows what else. That being said, I still think they should be allowed to tweet, especially in the off season. I can’t picture players melting down on twitter in December or March.

*1st amendment.

Although there is a slight argument to be made since Iowa is a state institution, could be that they're under different expectations with their scholarship and participation on the football team being voluntary.
;) Somebody was reading it right.

That’s a good point about voluntary participation.

Also, Ferentz isn’t prohibiting free speech. He is prohibiting a method of communicating free speech. A distinction. And then only does that during football.

The First is about the national government, not a state government — it was the People of the States that established the First so why would they/we put that prohibition on the National government that wasn’t also a prohibition on the state.

maybe. Possibly. But there bennies to not having it too.

I am sure there might be some that would.

They’re not very bright if they would. The 2nd Amendment is about the national government impinging on free speech.

However, the protaerian PC guards who are going back years to check social media accounts and are always trying to establish new “approved” words — they are hindering “free speech”

That's the 1st Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I think KF’s rule is just fine. I would love to see any evidence that it hurts recruiting. All of us have followed rules our entire lives that we don’t necessarily agree with. Part of maturity.

That's the 1st Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Bingo! ;)

And I think his name is Kirk Ferentz not Kirk Congress.

Look at the BS going on with Kyler Murray and tweets he made as a 15 yr old. Sure, they were homophobic, but he was just a dumb kid, like we all were at one point. And yet, he's getting a ton of negative attention for something that happened just under a decade ago.

In today's outrage culture, combined with the microscope of social media, it's just an unnecessary distraction.

It might be archaic, but it's not necessarily a bad idea.
How would kf policy have changed kyler murrays outcome??

The rule only covers twitter. The players still use every other social network...they are on Facebook, instagram, Snapchat and who knows what else. That being said, I still think they should be allowed to tweet, especially in the off season. I can’t picture players melting down on twitter in December or March.
I despise "social media", and I am admittedly a caveman. I put social media in quotes because I have noticed it has actually made people less social in some ways. What is the point of banning twitter but not the other ones? Is twitter just "quicker"?

Last edited:
I despise "social media", and I am admittedly a caveman. I put social media in quotes because I have noticed it has actually made people less social in some ways. What is the point of banning twitter but not the other ones? Is twitter just "quicker"?

Twitter is made for sharing quick takes and opinions and has very little filter on who and how people can interact with those tweeted statements. Theoretically a player could say something negative in the heat of the moment and have thousands of people see it instantly and be responding equally negative. It’s the Wild West. Facebook and Instagram are more photo based and have a smaller footprint for users.

I wonder who has the time to look into the historical tweets of other people in the first place. Posting in our little world known as HN.com is time consuming enough, and I'm not scrolling through other posters' history to try to hang them out for something that was written 4 years ago. Who are these people - they're the ones that need to be exposed and shamed, not the other way around.
No kidding.. The cherry picking of it and when they decide to do it always makes me shake my head too.. It's getting to the point where prior to enrolling in school or while applying for jobs its what they'll start doing as a prerequisite to getting in. So that way 5-10-and as time goes on 20 yr old tweets don't come back and bite employers, etc.

Pretty fair point here. If you’re consistently posting your thoughts and feelings for the public to view sooner or later you’re going to say something that will come back and bite you. And the more successful you are, the more people will dig for dirt.

Apparently it doesn’t hurt Dabo. I just think there’s a compromise here that Kirk could take advantage of if he relaxed on that rule some. It’s clearly a very important, if not the most important thing, for that generation of athlete

If social media is the "most important" or even just "important", we're recruiting the wrong guys.

It's only a Twitter ban I thought. They're still on Facebook, Instagram, etc. because those aren't as public as Twitter. Maybe I'm mistaken?

I teach HS kids, and hardly any of them use Twitter anymore. A lot of the kids that go play D1 FB will have it to announce things publicly, but honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal as long as they have Instagram, SnatchChat, etc.

Latest posts