Kirk's Legacy

Can anyone think of an example of a college program that FIRED a coach whose record was at or near program historical highs, and then subsequently ascended a level?

I can't off the top of my head.

Can anyone think of an example of a college program that FIRED a coach whose record was at or near program historical highs, and then subsequently ascended a level?

I can't off the top of my head.

Ok maybe Georgia. Hard to say for sure though. Richt had some damn good Georgia teams.

I would like us to be the way Wisconsin is, which is the way Iowa used to be. That would be a good start. Send me $5 million, I will put something together.
I've bought into the theory that Wisconsin and Iowa can never be really good at the same time.

This poll is basing it's entire ranking method on previous ranking polls. That fact that we hold 25 on there is a testament in our ability to maintain competitiveness. .It hardly means that we are the 25th best football institution though It does however mean that we play like it.

I think most of us know and will admit that we are a fringe top 25 program, but that is not want posters here seem to want. They want to be top 10, or 5 or #1. They can't accept that better programs get better players that make better plays. What none of them seems to understand is that even if we could pay Saban enough and somehow had enough lure to bring him, even he couldn't do for Iowa what he did at Bama. That's just the facts of life.

Can better be achieved? Yes.
Can it be achieved repeatedly? This is the part that I doubt. Could someone have higher highs then Ferentz? Yes, but really what are the odds that it doesn't come without some gut wrenching bottom out?

I can get behind alot of Ferentz gripe, but dismissing the sustainability of his above average floor will never be one of them.

I disagree, I think that is exactly what it means. Being 25th all time in that poll implies that we have a history and tradition which to me translates to "football institution". Quite a few top 10 finishes in there, of course we have to maintain it, or we end up like Minnesota.

If you're referring to the last 25 years of Wisconsin success then Iowa has never been as good as what Wisconsin was over the last 25. In any of our lifetimes, we had a good run in the 80's and a good run in the 2000's.

P.S. Iowa is Wisconsin with slightly less success. Same model. Same foundation. It is comments like this that make it hard to guage if you are trolling.

P.S.S Wisconsin is due for a regression.
You have plethora of rationalizations to justify average.

I disagree, I think that is exactly what it means. Being 25th all time in that poll implies that we have a history and tradition which to me translates to "football institution". Quite a few top 10 finishes in there, of course we have to maintain it, or we end up like Minnesota.

Football game outcomes only account for part of the equation in hierarchy of football institutions. Considering our enrollment numbers, Alumni numbers, annual budget, recruiting territory, general location, and merchandising rights we are actually over achievers in winning. Some better football institutions are under achievers comparatively.

Latest posts