Kirk's last season?

SCHawkeye2

With NIL, transfer portal and the 'new' B10 additions, it is very possible this could be Kirk's last year.
We have a favorable schedule in the last year of the B10 West. A possible championship game appearance might be just the exit he wants.

I don't think he intends it to be no... Could circumstances change that? Say Cade gets hurt and Cooper DeJean and they end up having a bad season. One that forces him to replace his son would he really want to stick around to do that? Maybe but maybe not. If this is KFs last yr then I think it's due to a really really bad yr. If it's a 9 plus win yr then heck no he'll run it back.

Kirk deciding to hang it up would not surprise me at all and I’ll be saying this every season until the day he decides to call it quits. I could see him doing it it whether it’s a historically great season or an unexpectedly bad season.

Someone that's as close to the situation as you can be, other than Mary, said that they would be surprised if he retires in the next 5 years.

I understand the thought process, but Inhave to agree with the others that have already posted here.

I will say this however, if Brian pisses down his leg again this year then I could see this as a possibility. Barta’s not around anymore and even some of the most diehard fans are getting tired of the excuses.

With the expansion of the conference it’s going to be even more difficult to win it. It’s mind boggling to think the last time that that happened was back in 2004. Almost twenty years. Most coaching staffs don’t last that long anywhere. Not sure what to think about that.

No fan should have to concede and just say well we are a little school and it’s not possible even though Fryowa says that and the sample size of twenty years speaks for itself.

The thought came to me that maybe the University of Iowa would be better suited to change conference’s and join the Big 12 where they would be playing teams more their skill level. I think we could go against the likes of Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State, BYU, Utah, and have a much, much, much better chance of being conference champs and make it to the playoffs. The sample size of twenty years since winning and representing the Big Ten as conference champs speaks for itself. Of course we are talking football here and there are other sports to consider.

Some may be thinking “hell no, that would be like beating up your little sister” and I understand the thought process, but twenty years???

Kirk is stubborn and likes to do things the old predictable way, and only makes changes when he has to.

But if those old ways stop working for him, he may have no choice but to call it quits. If he ever has a season like 2012 again, he may not have the energy to start over for Kirk Version 4.0. Or is it version 5.0 by now, I lost track?

Kirk 1.0 - 1999 to 2007
Kirk 2.0 - 2008 to 2012
Kirk 3.0 - 2013 to 2016
Kirk 4.0 - 2017 to 2022

Is 2023 the year we get Kirk 5.0 or will it be just a repeat of the same old stuff from 2022?

I understand the thought process, but Inhave to agree with the others that have already posted here.

I will say this however, if Brian pisses down his leg again this year then I could see this as a possibility. Barta’s not around anymore and even some of the most diehard fans are getting tired of the excuses.

With the expansion of the conference it’s going to be even more difficult to win it. It’s mind boggling to think the last time that that happened was back in 2004. Almost twenty years. Most coaching staffs don’t last that long anywhere. Not sure what to think about that.

No fan should have to concede and just say well we are a little school and it’s not possible even though Fryowa says that and the sample size of twenty years speaks for itself.

The thought came to me that maybe the University of Iowa would be better suited to change conference’s and join the Big 12 where they would be playing teams more their skill level. I think we could go against the likes of Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State, BYU, Utah, and have a much, much, much better chance of being conference champs and make it to the playoffs. The sample size of twenty years since winning and representing the Big Ten as conference champs speaks for itself. Of course we are talking football here and there are other sports to consider.

Some may be thinking “hell no, that would be like beating up your little sister” and I understand the thought process, but twenty years???
Disagree with this take. Division titles mean a lot. Bowl wins and Top 25 rankings mean something too, not to mention his CFP ranked teams.

Iowa will return to the playoffs. Being in the Big 18 will upgrade their recruiting.

I could see it happening in one of two extremes - we win the west and at the very least compete well in the B1G CC, or we continue to struggle mightily offensively and the whole ship does a tailspin.

In either of those instances, with all the change that is coming, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Kirk decided to ride off into the sunset. Like all coaches late in their careers, he will be balancing his legacy versus the ongoing headaches and constantly changing landscape.

There is no way the University of Iowa would ever consider joining the Big 12. The drop in revenue would be a killer. Sports would have to be cut, staff, among other cost cutting measures. And for what? It just doesn't make sense.

The whole reason behind all of this conference realignment is to get into a stable conference with the most money. From what I've read Oregon and Washington would have liked to have staying in the PAC-12 but the instability left them no choice but to leave.

I think he wants to qualify for the HOF - which anything above 9 this season would reach the threshold. I'm not saying that's driving his decision, but I bet it's at the very least in the back of his mind.

I think he wants to qualify for the HOF - which anything above 9 this season would reach the threshold. I'm not saying that's driving his decision, but I bet it's at the very least in the back of his mind.
He's as aware of that as anyone... I hope he can get it too. He deserves it. It's kind of a weird way they do it isn't it like a certain winning % threshold that they have to get to? It makes it tough for guys like him who start off at tough gigs with really low winning % right out of the gates to get to.

Conference titles in the B1G since 2004:

OSU (8 solo, 2 shared)

Wisc
* 2 solo (2011 and 2012), one shared
* 2011 was a year when OSU was 3-5 following Tressel and pre-Urban, Wisc tied with PSU at 6-2, beat MSU in championship game
* 2012 Wisc won with a 4-4 conference record, 3rd place in Leaders but PSU and OSU ineligible; beat Nebraska 70-31 in championship game

Mich (2 solo in 2021 and 2022)

PSU (1 solo, 2 shared)

MSU (1 solo in 2015, 1 shared in 2010)

Basically, it has been the Buckeye show.

Wisky got a taste post-Tressel and pre-Urban, it sucks that Iowa happened to be in a down-cycle at that time.

Under Dantonio, MSU briefly ascended above Iowa (again, while OSU and Mich were in the dumps). They got their 2010 title in a season that Iowa beat them by 31 points, and their solo title was several inches away from being Iowa's. Over this span, they have 141 wins to Iowa's 144, but MSU has had higher highs (a 6 year stretch of 10.8 wins per year) and lower lows.

Michigan has only broken through over the past 2 years.

PSU had 2 shared titles under Paterno and prior to divisional play ('05 and '08). Franklin did break through in '16.

Yes, it stinks that Iowa couldn't have gotten that title they barely missed in 2015. Or that they imploded due to key injuries (and some bad coaching moves) in 2010, and then entered a down-cycle right when the conference was ripe for the picking. But what gets us closer to that title we all want?

A) scrapping what we have and starting over

B) doubling-down on our consistency and hope a combination of improvement and luck gets us there

I am in camp B. We have been close, our D and STs are on historic runs, our recruiting is as good as it has ever been, and 9 to 10 wins is the expectation each year. If that is your baseline, a couple lucky breaks could get you to that title.

I understand if you are in camp A, eventually everyone needs a change. I am definitely there when it comes to performance on the offensive side of the ball. I just think letting KF steer this ship gets us closer to the next title than starting over.

I was critical of Kirk not having a diversity hire in '16. I admit, I don't like hiring based on anything but ability, but it was just in the cards Iowa was dealt and I thought it needed to be done to save Iowa's image. Kirk did not do this but promoted his son instead with no OC experience. Since then, Kirk has quietly assembled some of the best former Hawkeyes and young coaches in the country that share his belief in the "Iowa Way". Abdul Hodge, Betts, Bell, and Copeland show Iowa is embracing the past and the future. Brian is just the glaring problem to the fans but his fellow coaches swear by him. Outside of Brian and possible Barnett every hire has been rock solid and his established coaches Parker and Woods are beyond reproach. These new coaches will continue to recruit well and hopefully ascend to OC within a couple of years. I think Kirk is in a very comfortable position unless Brian's offense lays a giant egg. Truth is, nobody but Kirk knows what Kirk is going to do.

Someone that's as close to the situation as you can be, other than Mary, said that they would be surprised if he retires in the next 5 years.
He may not have a choice in the matter. His security blankies are gone. Not playing anyone within the conference likely ends next year. And his fav apologist is gone in barta. He lost a lot of power in all that

Disagree with this take. Division titles mean a lot. Bowl wins and Top 25 rankings mean something too, not to mention his CFP ranked teams.

Iowa will return to the playoffs. Being in the Big 18 will upgrade their recruiting.
Iowa will return to the playoffs? What the hell are you talking about. Iowa football has never been in the playoffs let alone go again

Conference titles in the B1G since 2004:

OSU (8 solo, 2 shared)

Wisc
* 2 solo (2011 and 2012), one shared
* 2011 was a year when OSU was 3-5 following Tressel and pre-Urban, Wisc tied with PSU at 6-2, beat MSU in championship game
* 2012 Wisc won with a 4-4 conference record, 3rd place in Leaders but PSU and OSU ineligible; beat Nebraska 70-31 in championship game

Mich (2 solo in 2021 and 2022)

PSU (1 solo, 2 shared)

MSU (1 solo in 2015, 1 shared in 2010)

Basically, it has been the Buckeye show.

Wisky got a taste post-Tressel and pre-Urban, it sucks that Iowa happened to be in a down-cycle at that time.

Under Dantonio, MSU briefly ascended above Iowa (again, while OSU and Mich were in the dumps). They got their 2010 title in a season that Iowa beat them by 31 points, and their solo title was several inches away from being Iowa's. Over this span, they have 141 wins to Iowa's 144, but MSU has had higher highs (a 6 year stretch of 10.8 wins per year) and lower lows.

Michigan has only broken through over the past 2 years.

PSU had 2 shared titles under Paterno and prior to divisional play ('05 and '08). Franklin did break through in '16.

Yes, it stinks that Iowa couldn't have gotten that title they barely missed in 2015. Or that they imploded due to key injuries (and some bad coaching moves) in 2010, and then entered a down-cycle right when the conference was ripe for the picking. But what gets us closer to that title we all want?

A) scrapping what we have and starting over

B) doubling-down on our consistency and hope a combination of improvement and luck gets us there

I am in camp B. We have been close, our D and STs are on historic runs, our recruiting is as good as it has ever been, and 9 to 10 wins is the expectation each year. If that is your baseline, a couple lucky breaks could get you to that title.

I understand if you are in camp A, eventually everyone needs a change. I am definitely there when it comes to performance on the offensive side of the ball. I just think letting KF steer this ship gets us closer to the next title than starting over.
That's the whole problem with option B. It feels lucky and gimmicky if it even happens. Nobody thinks Iowa deserves it, including me. I want a title that everybody thinks Iowa deserved, including Ohio St, Mich, PSU and MSU fans. In 2015 Iowa stated 12-0 but never played Ohio St, Mich, PSU. They didn't even play MSU until the CCG. In 2021, Iowa did beat a PSU team, but never played Ohio St, and did not play Mich until the CCG. Iowa needs a team not only good enough to make the CCG, but good enough to blow out the other team in the CCG. Then you can say that's a championship level team.