Kirks holds Iowa back again

OUTofTOWNHAWK

Kirk blew this QB situation long before most knew about it.

There are plenty of coaches who have handled having 2 good QBs. Kirks not one of them. He could have used both of them and given Iowa an advantage but kirk lacks the brain power to do so.

Now CJB will not be allowed to run because there is no backup thus handcuffing the offense once again. Who cares though... we got $70 to spend.

Remember when John Weinke, an elite 11 qb, wore headphones his whole career and never left? Way more impressive to me for a kid to stay committed where he is than someone who bolts the second they may not play or get what they want...

Blame Kirk all you want, but I think it depends on the individual more so than the coach....

I dont blame a kid who wants to leave so he can play. Kirk had a chance to keep two qbs happy and play them both. He could have kept defenses on their toes with two qbs.

Instead kirk and greg with rather run the same play 3 times in a row.

Jake could have been a great punter had he stayed.

This is on Kirk.

CJ should have been the starter after the ISU game, definitely after the Purdue win. Instead, we got coach speak about open competition, and that was a lie. CJ confirmed that during bowl prep when stating this was the first time all year he got to practice equally with the 1st team.

While I wanted CJ as the QB, Jake did not deserve to be treated like he was during the bowl prep. And then the January depth chart was the final nail in the coffin for Jake.

Good luck to him.

Now we have no depth at QB. CJ has proved to be the better athlete and have the better arm...but he's also injury prone too. He's gonna have to carry this team in 2015. Good luck with the OL he has protecting him

I dont blame a kid who wants to leave so he can play. Kirk had a chance to keep two qbs happy and play them both. He could have kept defenses on their toes with two qbs.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you are kinda arguing both ways. You saying you don't blame a kid for wanting to leave to play doesn't really sound like a kid willing to stay and share or perhaps have to wait...

Maybe I'm wrong...

please explain to me how he could use 2 qbs through out the season to Iowas advantage. Seems all we heard all this year was a 2 qb system can not work.

Kirk can never do any right, can he? "Play CJB!!" yells the fan base. He cites CJB as the starter in the offseason. Rudock leaves, "damn coach screwed it up." cries the fan base. So, the QB many wanted on the bench was put on the bench and chose to leave. The coach screwed it up. How many D1 teams use a 2 QB system effectively? I will hang up and listen.

I have blamed Kirk for a lot but I do not blame him on this. Jake had 2 years to start and did a decent job. If we had more talent around him he would still be the starter. He just cannot win the upper echelon games from his position. That is the rub.

I think this is a good thing for both parties. CJ gets his shot and has 2 years to play. Weigerts can get 2 years if he sticks behind CJ. We need a gun slinger and scrambler given our impending O line woes next year. Jake gets to play his last year at Michigan with more talent and a high profile coach. He might do well under that scenario.

Best of luck to Jake and look forward to CJ playing.

For nearly an entire season we heard the fan base complain about how terrible Jake was and now that he's gone.... we're still ********.

Let it go. You wanted CJ... you got em now, it just came with a price.

I think it's all good for everyone right now. Rudock goes to a program where he can possibly play, Beathard gets the job at Iowa. So far so good. Beathard has two years remaining. More good. Beathard has much more upside than Rudock...so that's good too.

KF handled this like managing a dumpster fire last year. How you go back to Rudock after the way Beathard played in his first real playing time (two road wins - Pitt and Purdue)...was beyond me. He would have only gotten better and made plays as he settled in. Alas...the mismanagement led us here...which is what most wanted anyway.

I hope we develop a few offensive tackles this spring, or else Beathard may be standing on the sidelines with multiple fractures.

To be fair, Weinke always wanted to be a directional pouch punter, he just never beat out the other guy.

Has a 2 QB system ever worked anywhere? If it has, do you think Davis is the guy to run it?

Kirk can never do any right, can he? "Play CJB!!" yells the fan base. He cites CJB as the starter in the offseason. Rudock leaves, "damn coach screwed it up." cries the fan base. So, the QB many wanted on the bench was put on the bench and chose to leave. The coach screwed it up. How many D1 teams use a 2 QB system effectively? I will hang up and listen.
I think it's like 2 guys saying the coach screwed up by letting Jake leave. Personally I don't think we should have had a 2 QB system. I do think the entire situation all year was handled poorly by the coach though. If you aren't going to run a 2 QB system stop telling everyone you are, especially CJB. Stop saying it's an open competition when it really isn't. And then you finally go to the dreaded to QB system in the bowl game? That worked really well. It really was just a circus, and we are lucky we didn't lose both. But hey, that's football.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you are kinda arguing both ways. You saying you don't blame a kid for wanting to leave to play doesn't really sound like a kid willing to stay and share or perhaps have to wait...

Maybe I'm wrong...

What Im saying is kids are going to transfer. What Im also saying is the way kirk treated both of them they both should leave. Many coaches find ways to keep good players on the field. Kirk cant do that.

Had kirk let them both play when he said they would then I dont think Jake leaves.

Kirk blew this QB situation long before most knew about it.

There are plenty of coaches who have handled having 2 good QBs. Kirks not one of them. He could have used both of them and given Iowa an advantage but kirk lacks the brain power to do so.

Now CJB will not be allowed to run because there is no backup thus handcuffing the offense once again. Who cares though... we got $70 to spend.

No doubt. Agree 100%.. This shouldn't have played out this way and it did because of how it was managed by KF..

There's no sure fire way to keep 2 qbs happy.... If PT is what they want and you try splitting reps you'll just have 2 unhappy qbs... Their might be 1 way however but that would include winning.... But who wants to split reps or be the backup somewhere on a team that's not going to win significantly?... You want to separate what's going on at OSU and here there ya go...

There's no sure fire way to keep 2 qbs happy.... If PT is what they want and you try splitting reps you'll just have 2 unhappy qbs... Their might be 1 way however but that would include winning.... But who wants to split reps or be the backup somewhere on a team that's not going to win significantly?... You want to separate what's going on at OSU and here there ya go...

You are correct there is no sure fire way.

The way kirk did it though didnt even give them a chance to be happy.

please explain to me how he could use 2 qbs through out the season to Iowas advantage. Seems all we heard all this year was a 2 qb system can not work.

I was not one who said a 2 QB system couldnt work. I am all for having the 2nd string guy get some snaps in most games especially if they have different skill sets.

I thought last year was a perfect time to get CJ more playing time early even in close games. And hey we might have beat UNI and Ball st by more points and actually beat ISU.

After watching CJ on the road at Pitt and Purdue I am almost certain we would and should have sccored 17 points at least against ISU in the second half to win easily.

Against talented players in Tenn in the bowl I thought and would have graded CJ much higher than Rudock. Jake had a really good 2013 but for whatever reason he didnt make much progress in 2014. Playing CJ more would have left us with 2 very capable QBs this season and then say the position is open in the spring.

Latest posts