Kirks holds Iowa back again

There's no sure fire way to keep 2 qbs happy.... If PT is what they want and you try splitting reps you'll just have 2 unhappy qbs... Their might be 1 way however but that would include winning.... But who wants to split reps or be the backup somewhere on a team that's not going to win significantly?... You want to separate what's going on at OSU and here there ya go...

I can tell you the sure fire way on how not to handle it.. See Iowa.. :)

There's no sure fire way to keep 2 qbs happy.... If PT is what they want and you try splitting reps you'll just have 2 unhappy qbs... Their might be 1 way however but that would include winning.... But who wants to split reps or be the backup somewhere on a team that's not going to win significantly?... You want to separate what's going on at OSU and here there ya go...

OK list all the QB controversies under KF and tell me which ones he handled correctly:

1. Beutjer et al , that was a revolving door.
2. McCann and Banks, not handled real well as that could have been a combination of start McCann, Banks will get reps an series , and then play the hot hand when needed.
3. 2006- pull tate when he blew his stack?? Maybe
4. 2007 - total dumpster fire
5. 2008 - Total miscalculation by KF
6. 2012 - not playing a backup one snap - stupid
7. 2014 - handled poorly all around and in every aspect

I cannot blame JR at all for leaving. In all seriousness, I have way more respect for someone who knows they have the God given ability to be on a field "Somewhere" to leave and use that God given ability....better that than have someone stick around 4 years wasting a scolly who may have simply wasted their God given ability to see the field.

Yeah, I don't really see the problem here. Most people thought CJ was the better QB with more upside. Now we get to see if that's true. If Jake wants to go somewhere else, more power to him. I don't think it's going to help him much. He can't hit the long ball.

Two QB schemes are generally crap.

KF's instinct was that Rewdok was the better QB. The Harbaugh interest seems to bear that out.

Now we'll go with Bethhardd.

The two QB system was doomed to failure from the beginning. I personally felt CJ should have been the starter from the Purdue game one. KF didn't see it that way, and stuck with Rudock, that to me was the big problem.

Now that this saga has played itself out, it explains some things. I think KF January "depth chart" was solely to let both QB's know it is now CJ's job (and therefor making sure CJ stayed). Rudock knew that much like CJ wasn't going to wrestle away the job from Rudock last year, the same would hold true this year for him. Ferentz knew he was losing one or the other, and decided (wisely if you ask me) that he had to go with CJ.

So I don't have a problem with a QB leaving, that was bound to happen. My problem was this decision was an obvious one since the Purdue game. If CJ had started since then, his feet are wet, and he would be poised to lead this team this year. As it is, we are going to have a green QB going into next year, lets hope CJ doesn't have a bunch of growing pains.

As stated in other threads, I have absolutely no problem with Jake's decision to transfer. What I can't understand is the fans that were once calling for him to be benched calling him out for transferring.

So do we get to relive this all over again in 2-3 years with Cook and Boyle? I don't see either one of these guys sticking around 4-5 years and not playing at all.

There really wasn't a QB controversy at tOSU last year. Each time the current starter was injured a new QB stepped in. The real QB controversy at tOSU will be who plays next fall and how Meyer handles the whole situation. Miller is possibly transferring, but if he doesn't then you've got three very good QBs that will all most likely want playing time.

I'm sure someone can cite a successful 2 QB platoon system, but rarely does it work out when there are 2 QBs splitting playing time. Ferentz needed to pick a QB for this fall. I have no problem with him going with Beathard; he gets him for 2 years, instead of 1 with Rudock. I also have no problem with Rudock deciding he doesn't want to be a back up. Ferentz can be fairly criticized for several decisions he's made over the years, but the handling of the QB situation for next year isn't one of them, in my opinion. Better to solve it now than let it linger into next fall - it would only get worse and more muddy for everyone, except that Beathard may (probably would?) have left. How would that have gone over with the fans? In fact, I give him credit for making what I believe was probably a very tough decision for him, he clearly likes Rudock, and it was a decision he probably would have preferred to have avoided, but he knew he could not.

Remember when John Weinke, an elite 11 qb, wore headphones his whole career and never left? Way more impressive to me for a kid to stay committed where he is than someone who bolts the second they may not play or get what they want...

Blame Kirk all you want, but I think it depends on the individual more so than the coach....

You're absolutely right. This is a character flaw from an individual who has been nothing but an upstanding representation for the university this whole time! Never mind the fact that he's a graduate and can now attend the premier medical school in America. JR is a terrible person. Good riddance, eh!?

The two QB system was doomed to failure from the beginning. I personally felt CJ should have been the starter from the Purdue game one. KF didn't see it that way, and stuck with Rudock, that to me was the big problem.

Now that this saga has played itself out, it explains some things. I think KF January "depth chart" was solely to let both QB's know it is now CJ's job (and therefor making sure CJ stayed). Rudock knew that much like CJ wasn't going to wrestle away the job from Rudock last year, the same would hold true this year for him. Ferentz knew he was losing one or the other, and decided (wisely if you ask me) that he had to go with CJ.

So I don't have a problem with a QB leaving, that was bound to happen. My problem was this decision was an obvious one since the Purdue game. If CJ had started since then, his feet are wet, and he would be poised to lead this team this year. As it is, we are going to have a green QB going into next year, lets hope CJ doesn't have a bunch of growing pains.

CJB is far from green Dean. If their happens to be any pains next year, it won't be because of "growing"

I think it's all good for everyone right now. Rudock goes to a program where he can possibly play, Beathard gets the job at Iowa. So far so good. Beathard has two years remaining. More good. Beathard has much more upside than Rudock...so that's good too.

KF handled this like managing a dumpster fire last year. How you go back to Rudock after the way Beathard played in his first real playing time (two road wins - Pitt and Purdue)...was beyond me. He would have only gotten better and made plays as he settled in. Alas...the mismanagement led us here...which is what most wanted anyway.

I hope we develop a few offensive tackles this spring, or else Beathard may be standing on the sidelines with multiple fractures.

I've been trying to stay away from message boards because it seems like it's mainly trolls but I love the Hawks so have a hard time staying away. This post is right on. You get a gold star.
gold-star.jpg

I have a hunch that if Jake starts at Michigan that the only thing that is going to be proved is what an utter failure Iowa is at developing QB's. Anothe nail in the KF coffin.

I have a hunch that if Jake starts at Michigan that the only thing that is going to be proved is what an utter failure Iowa is at developing QB's. Anothe nail in the KF coffin.

I don't know if it would prove Iowa's failure at developing QBs as much as point out the flaws in our current system in terms of how they are utilized. In my opinion if he shows he's good enough to start at Michigan then that is a plus in the development category but shows major short comings in our staff's play calling and our offense as aw whole.

U of M medical school is ranked in the top ten for research. I wonder if Harbaugh is ready to accommodate some odd practice times.

Latest posts