KIRK

I'm sure during broadcast you heard Gus Johnson say that USC should back up a truck for Parker to steal him. That blew me away... That's pretty BS. Have announcers done that sort of thing before? Why not instead say Iowa should backup a truck to get Lincoln Riley to leave USC to be Iowas OC? Hell there's the same amount of odds of it happening.

It's shit like that with announcers that like to shit on Iowa it pisses me off
That whole telecast was so anti-Iowa. Complete BS. Agreed.

He's also coming back next year and I don't see .600 holding up.

But that wasn't the point of my post. @HuckFinn said that other poster who brought up the .600 WP didn't get a vote as if he could still get in below 60%. He cant.
assuming Iowa wins there bowl game , next year Kirk would have to have at least a 8-5 record (61.5%) to maintain the .600......thats assuming a 12 game regular season & qualify for bowl + 1

Even those who support him without reservation have dot admit his offensive philosophy doesn't work in this day and age. The proof is in the pudding as they say.
It works. Others doing what we do…mich, alabama, Georgia…all pro, play action, real estate acquisition teams. Got catch and throw way better.

He's also coming back next year and I don't see .600 holding up.

But that wasn't the point of my post. @HuckFinn said that other poster who brought up the .600 WP didn't get a vote as if he could still get in below 60%. He cant.
FWIW, I see it absolutely holding up if it just takes an 8-5

Agreed, or something darn close to that. Looking at that schedule, I'd predict 7-3, with 2 toss-ups.

Who is your 3rd loss besides OSU and Washington? Who are your tossups?

I was thinking 2 losses. There should be 2 near certain wins. Beyond that, just about everything feels like a tossup based upon how we play, but we win an unreasonable number of those tossups most every year.

Last edited:
I think 7.5 wins will be the O/U for IA next year.

Probably a pretty fair number, I could even see it going lower than that. And I am pretty sure Iowa will win 8 or more, hitting the over on regular season wins for the 7th straight year (by an average of 1.3 wins per year).

1701712252388.png

You really think that the guy who has won 70% of his games over the last decade, and who hasn't won as few as 7 games since 2014, is going to start cranking out sub-8 win seasons on the regular (which is what it would take to drop back below 60%)?

I am not saying 5 losses is impossible with this schedule, but I wouldn't bet on it:

View attachment 10531
We lose more than we gain next year personnel-wise.

OSU and Washington are guaranteed L's, ISU, UCLA and Wisconsin are 50/50 at best, and one other dumb loss that always seems to happen doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

Bill Belicek is 71. 72, Nick Saban, Pete Carol, 72,
Andy Reid, KC Chiefs, is 65 nearly 66. FYI.
Andy changed with the times, Kirk has not. I know you don't agree and thats ok. To you Kirk can do no wrong ever! Kirk would not amount to a pimple on Andys' a$$!
FYI: I have been abundantly clear the Brian needed to be fired, that KF must improve the QB room, that the O line development needs to make big strides, and that there is no excuse for the lack of offensive production. Take a basic reading course before you blab further.

I'm sure during broadcast you heard Gus Johnson say that USC should back up a truck for Parker to steal him. That blew me away... That's pretty BS. Have announcers done that sort of thing before? Why not instead say Iowa should backup a truck to get Lincoln Riley to leave USC to be Iowas OC? Hell there's the same amount of odds of it happening.

It's shit like that with announcers that like to shit on Iowa it pisses me off
I heard that too. Low class. Phil, I honestly think, has shown his love for not only the Hawkeye football team and its players but his respect for KF. I think some assistants are very happy and content where they are at. I think KF does his best to take care of them financially too.

In this day and age, sometimes the grass is not always greener elsewhere. In many other programs, you immediately are expected to get results, and if not, you're looking for another job. Phil should have the same leeway to coach as long as he wishes right here.

I suspect he will retire when KF does.

If I had told you at the beginning of the season that the following would happen:

1. Lose Shannon for the entire season;
2. Lose McNamara for most of the season;
3. Lose Lachey for most of the season;
4. Lose All in the Wisconsin game; and
5. Lose DeJean before the two most important games at the end of the year (Illinois and Nebraska);

would you have bet any money that Iowa would finish 10-2 in the regular season and hold the number 1 team in the nation to 214 yards in the Big Ten Championship game? I know I wiouls not have made that bet.

And yet they did exactly that.

I give all of the credit to Kirk Ferentz, Phil Parker and the rest of the coaching staff. They kept that team locked in all year. Iowa was 7-1 in games where they led by 7 points or less (or trailed) in the 4th quarter. That takes great coaching.

Was Iowa a great team? No. But it was a gritty, clutch team and they won the Big Ten West in its last season of existence. I will always remember this season.

Kirk should have been Big Ten coach of the year.

If I had told you at the beginning of the season that the following would happen:

1. Lose Shannon for the entire season;
2. Lose McNamara for most of the season;
3. Lose Lachey for most of the season;
4. Lose All in the Wisconsin game; and
5. Lose DeJean before the two most important games at the end of the year (Illinois and Nebraska);

would you have bet any money that Iowa would finish 10-2 in the regular season and hold the number 1 team in the nation to 214 yards in the Big Ten Championship game? I know I wiouls not have made that bet.

And yet they did exactly that.

I give all of the credit to Kirk Ferentz, Phil Parker and the rest of the coaching staff. They kept that team locked in all year. Iowa was 7-1 in games where they led by 7 points or less (or trailed) in the 4th quarter. That takes great coaching.

Was Iowa a great team? No. But it was a gritty, clutch team and they won the Big Ten West in its last season of existence. I will always remember this season.

Kirk should have been Big Ten coach of the year.
Good post. All considering.....Iowa did a fantastic job.

If and that’s a big IF Iowa wins the bowl game, Kirk is retiring. The HOF means more to him than another season at Iowa.

Yes.

To get in as a coach you have to have coached for 10 years, minimum of 100 games, and a winning percentage of .600 or greater.

Hawkeye12345
If and that’s a big IF Iowa wins the bowl game, Kirk is retiring. The HOF means more to him than another season at Iowa.

So...what does it say about KFz if this really is on his radar as motivation.

Latest posts