Kirk Writing For Hawkeyenation?

Damn it he deserves a raise! Attrition and Belichick mentality without the winning. Woot woot. How could the grass be greener? Maybe a coach who doesn't play not to lose when losing?

It's interesting...on twitter and facebook, there has been equal amounts of praise and criticism of the piece Sean wrote (he wrote it well over a week ago, I just got around to posting it today). So far here, just the negative. Small sample size thus far. But I can't say I am all that surprised.

You just got around to posting it, or you bit the bullet and decided you better post it? There's a difference! :)

absolute garbage piece. probably done reading any of the articles on this site anymore. it broke down to, we are IA. We should suck and we do. Why do you expect more? Our coach is a greatly paid coach who is doing exactly as we hope he would do at our loser IA program, which is not competing. At one point though the author went so far as to say that KF keeps us in competition w/the OSUs, Oregons, USCs. so bad. just really the worst butt sniffing article you could come up.
Hawknick could have written a more balanced story than this.

total garbage

He's on the edge a little bit, but I chuckled when reading this.

I knew he had written something on Kirk...I had not read it until today...had forgotten and just posted today.

Like I posted the other day, I really hate that it is going down like this for Ferentz. I think he is a decent individual, almost to a fault. I'd really like him to pull this season off with a terrific year, but don't see it happening, unfortunately.

A lot of forum posters on here will hate him no matter what. I don't understand the thinking of these people. They call themselves fans but they only want to see Iowa lose as long as he is coach. When they do well they never want to give him credit either. They really make me sick. Coach Ferentz has done a lot for this program. I think some people just want to see a wide open west coast style offense at whatever cost, but I take issue with that too. In this region the best recruits tend to be lineman, tight ends, full backs, big running backs etc. These recruits are best suited for a pro style attack.

I understand the issue with the contract. Other recruiters will use the end of his contract against Iowa. This happened at the end of Coach Fry's career. What should be done is to give a series of 1 year contract extensions so that recruits know that he will be there for them throughout their college career. He is not that old yet, and as long as he is in good health he can be a good coach. However as he gets older the time may come where that won't be and that he will have to retire, so short contracts would be good rather than having him on contract until he's 80.

I get the angst with KF and the current state of the program. I don't get the vitriol directed at KF, with people being more upset than they were during the Lickliter years in basketball. Had KF moved on after the 2009 season, he would be lauded as a "great" and he would have put together arguably the best decade in Iowa football ever, all things considered. 4 top 8 finishes, 4 10+ win seasons, 2 BCS bowl appearances and 1 BCS win. But of course he didn't move on, and the last 5 years happened. And those can't be ignored.

I'm rooting for KF to have a third chapter of success in his tenure. If I had to vote right now, I'd say it's not going to happen. Dearth of talent on the roster. Recruiting is on uptick but KF doensn't have 2-3 years to have a big year.

I want someone with a proven track record as you mentioned, 4 top 8 finishes etc coaching my team. Where else could the AD find a 3 time big 10 coach of the year?

I'm ready for KF to step aside. Stagnation sets in when one coach is with a program this long. But it is really kind of a "devil you know" situation. If we bring in a new coach, will we move up to the MSU/Wisky level, or will we slide in with the Indiana/Purdue/NW/Illinois group?

What does Iowa really have at its disposal for one to think that it can consistently be a top 25 team?

State of the art facilities
Fans that care
Awesome gameday atmosphere
Money
Lots of kids that played in the NFL
Blackheart Gold Pants

Iowa has plenty of resources to expect a consistent top 25 team. Not saying we should consistently be in the top 10, but top 25 should be attainable most years.

Fans that care
Money
Blackheart Gold Pants

Iowa has plenty of resources to expect a consistent top 25 team. Not saying we should consistently be in the top 10, but top 25 should be attainable most years.

^^^
This is why I don't understand why it's hard to recruit players to Iowa. Why do we have to be a developmental program? I think this staff prefers to be that way?! I don't hear Nebraska claiming to be a developmental program. What have they done recently? Kids that are playing now weren't born when they were relevant.

To me there's not much difference between going 3-9 and 7-5 each year. Either way, I'll go to a game or two a year to enjoy the tailgating and then watch the vast majority of the remaining games on TV. But there's a huge difference between going 7-5 and 10-2 or so and being a top 20 team. Those are the type of games that you look forward to all week, where there's a buzz around the team. We haven't had a game like that for going on five years now. I have absolutely no confidence in Ferentz ever being able to get back to that level, hell I don't think he could even come on with a plan, if everything went absolutely right, to get back there.

The reward of moving on from KF, so far outweighs the possibility of the program getting worse that it should be an easy decision to move on. We had a huge window where we could have established ourselves as an upper tier B10 team and we didn't do it. Michigan was down, Penn St was down, Ohio St had Tressel, who while a very good coach, was a very conservative coach who was shooting for B10 titles, not national championships. Michigan St and Wisconsin took advantage of that window, Iowa didn't. We're not even in the same ballpark as Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St will soon be back, we're significantly behind Wisconsin. And our best case scenario is now hoping for an 8-4 season every couple of years. So if Iowa needs to bottom out for a year to have a chance to get a new coach and get back to being a top 25 team, then yeah I hope that happens. Watching Ferentz turn into a bitter ******* who seems to hate his job and fans while leading Iowa to a mediocre season year after year isn't a whole lot of fun.

Yeah, that's what we thought when we got rid of Jerry Burns to get.... Ray Nagel, and later.... Frank Lauterbur, and later.... Bob Commings. I'm not saying we will go through such a drought, but I do remember my dad talking about the 21 years from 1960 to 1981 where we had nothing but losing seasons.

Fans that care
Money
Blackheart Gold Pants

Yes we have all that. There are other programs that have the same things... and more. Some drawbacks:

-> Beaches along the Iowa River....? My cousin's son will start for his third year at UCLA at center. He could have gone anywhere but chose UCLA over a TON of other schools. Besides being a top business school, UCLA also has the weather and the beaches.

-> The warm winters...? Iowa, like most of the schools in the B1G, has some pretty harsh winters that can start in early November. Lots of the top recruits are in the South, many have never experienced snow or cold.

-> Iowa City is really urban....? Iowa City, no matter how we may think of it, is not a big city. It's a big "small town". If you drive 30 minutes in one direction you likely are in a corn field or have gone by one. The nearest true urban setting is Chicago, which is at least 4 hours of driving away. That turns off a lot of recruits.

-> Geography. Iowa is not close to a hotbed of recruits. Many top recruits grow up being fans of their local universities and dream of playing there. Teams outside of their area are rarely on their radar. It takes a lot to get the 4-stars and 5-stars to look at a school outside their area. Is it any wonder that the SEC keeps the closest and most talented recruits?

-> Integrity. Yeah, that's right, integrity. We use snarky symbols like O$U or $EC when describing these. No one seems to use such snark against Iowa on other boards. Maybe I'm naive but I believe it's because of the integrity our coaching staff has continued to bring to the recruiting process that tends to hold us down. I hope we are never the butt of a joke used in Baseketball:
"Do you think Shaq got rich playing in Orlando? Hardly, he made his fortune moving to L.A. You know how much he makes now?"
"As much as he made playing in college?"

I'm not anti-Iowa, but we do have limitations; some we can overcome and some we cannot.

Yeah, that's what we thought when we got rid of Jerry Burns to get.... Ray Nagel, and later.... Frank Lauterbur, and later.... Bob Commings. I'm not saying we will go through such a drought, but I do remember my dad talking about the 21 years from 1960 to 1981 where we had nothing but losing seasons.

Have you enjoyed the last four years of Ferentz football? I haven't been excited for a single game since Wisconsin in 2010. Going 4-8 instead of 7-5 really doesn't make much difference for me.

Iowa fans aren't fair to Kirk Ferentz? Kirk Ferentz has gotten every raise he ever wanted. New facilities. One sided contracts. Iowa fans have ignored nepotism. Use of the University plane.
Kirk Ferentz has made every personnel decision since he's been here. He's hired the assistant coaches that have (poorly) replaced an original staff that won those BIG titles.
He has stability. He has facilities. There are no reasons why his recruiting should have gotten worse over the past 10 years. He's either not as committed to recruiting or his newer assistants have done a poor job. Either way, it's a problem that Kirk Ferentz and only Kirk Ferentz is responsible for.
Iowa fans have seen parking and ticket prices go through the roof. Seating priority bull spit. Tailgating ruined or changed for the worse, at least. Now, Iowa fans want to hold Kirk Ferentz accountable for his work. What's the problem? Are Iowa fans throwing rocks through his windows? No. Iowa fans have stopped buying tickets. They have started to voice their displeasure. Kirk Ferentz can deal with it and so can the people that write that stuff.

Without even getting into the content, the writing is god awful. This reads like something written by a High School kid... and not an honor student.

Iowa fans aren't fair to Kirk Ferentz? Kirk Ferentz has gotten every raise he ever wanted. New facilities. One sided contracts. Iowa fans have ignored nepotism. Use of the University plane.
Kirk Ferentz has made every personnel decision since he's been here. He's hired the assistant coaches that have (poorly) replaced an original staff that won those BIG titles.
He has stability. He has facilities. There are no reasons why his recruiting should have gotten worse over the past 10 years. He's either not as committed to recruiting or his newer assistants have done a poor job. Either way, it's a problem that Kirk Ferentz and only Kirk Ferentz is responsible for.
Iowa fans have seen parking and ticket prices go through the roof. Seating priority bull spit. Tailgating ruined or changed for the worse, at least. Now, Iowa fans want to hold Kirk Ferentz accountable for his work. What's the problem? Are Iowa fans throwing rocks through his windows? No. Iowa fans have stopped buying tickets. They have started to voice their displeasure. Kirk Ferentz can deal with it and so can the people that write that stuff.

If I could "Thumbs Up" this 10 times, I would.

rDIQpV8.gif

Right on Brotha!!!!

Latest posts