Kirk Writing For Hawkeyenation?

SheagleHawk

Good lord what a ridiculous piece. Phrases like "we haven't been fair to Ferentz" are so far beyond ridiculous it's hard to comprehend.

Seamlessly every year Kirk Ferentz is on the short list for NFL teams head coaching vacancies, even in his worst years, and he has yet to jump back to his NFL roots. If he is good enough for an NFL head coaching position, why would he not be for the Iowa Hawkeyes?

Was this article written in 2006? What a terrible article, I would have been embarrassed to publish that piece of ****.

Good lord what a ridiculous piece. Phrases like "we haven't been fair to Ferentz" are so far beyond ridiculous it's hard to comprehend.

we'll ya, lets be fair, he needs time to develop this program and get legs under it, you know create a culture, a system, recruit and the like.

I haven't read it yet but I assume Michigan and Tom Davis were referenced.

I haven't read it either, but I am guessing also there something about Iowa's inherent disadvantages followed closely by fans understanding KF's successes/failures in historical context.

To be fair I probably should read it first.

Based on this article we should just break out a lifetime deal for Kurt right now, I mean there's a chance we get worse if we hire someone else.

It's interesting...on twitter and facebook, there has been equal amounts of praise and criticism of the piece Sean wrote (he wrote it well over a week ago, I just got around to posting it today). So far here, just the negative. Small sample size thus far. But I can't say I am all that surprised.

A lot of forum posters on here will hate him no matter what. I don't understand the thinking of these people. They call themselves fans but they only want to see Iowa lose as long as he is coach. When they do well they never want to give him credit either. They really make me sick. Coach Ferentz has done a lot for this program. I think some people just want to see a wide open west coast style offense at whatever cost, but I take issue with that too. In this region the best recruits tend to be lineman, tight ends, full backs, big running backs etc. These recruits are best suited for a pro style attack.

I understand the issue with the contract. Other recruiters will use the end of his contract against Iowa. This happened at the end of Coach Fry's career. What should be done is to give a series of 1 year contract extensions so that recruits know that he will be there for them throughout their college career. He is not that old yet, and as long as he is in good health he can be a good coach. However as he gets older the time may come where that won't be and that he will have to retire, so short contracts would be good rather than having him on contract until he's 80.

It's interesting...on twitter and facebook, there has been equal amounts of praise and criticism of the piece Sean wrote (he wrote it well over a week ago, I just got around to posting it today). So far here, just the negative. Small sample size thus far. But I can't say I am all that surprised.

Groupthink is alive and well around these parts.

A lot of forum posters on here will hate him no matter what. I don't understand the thinking of these people. They call themselves fans but they only want to see Iowa lose as long as he is coach. When they do well they never want to give him credit either. They really make me sick. Coach Ferentz has done a lot for this program. I think some people just want to see a wide open west coast style offense at whatever cost, but I take issue with that too. In this region the best recruits tend to be lineman, tight ends, full backs, big running backs etc. These recruits are best suited for a pro style attack.

I understand the issue with the contract. Other recruiters will use the end of his contract against Iowa. This happened at the end of Coach Fry's career. What should be done is to give a series of 1 year contract extensions so that recruits know that he will be there for them throughout their college career. He is not that old yet, and as long as he is in good health he can be a good coach. However as he gets older the time may come where that won't be and that he will have to retire, so short contracts would be good rather than having him on contract until he's 80.

To me there's not much difference between going 3-9 and 7-5 each year. Either way, I'll go to a game or two a year to enjoy the tailgating and then watch the vast majority of the remaining games on TV. But there's a huge difference between going 7-5 and 10-2 or so and being a top 20 team. Those are the type of games that you look forward to all week, where there's a buzz around the team. We haven't had a game like that for going on five years now. I have absolutely no confidence in Ferentz ever being able to get back to that level, hell I don't think he could even come on with a plan, if everything went absolutely right, to get back there.

The reward of moving on from KF, so far outweighs the possibility of the program getting worse that it should be an easy decision to move on. We had a huge window where we could have established ourselves as an upper tier B10 team and we didn't do it. Michigan was down, Penn St was down, Ohio St had Tressel, who while a very good coach, was a very conservative coach who was shooting for B10 titles, not national championships. Michigan St and Wisconsin took advantage of that window, Iowa didn't. We're not even in the same ballpark as Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St will soon be back, we're significantly behind Wisconsin. And our best case scenario is now hoping for an 8-4 season every couple of years. So if Iowa needs to bottom out for a year to have a chance to get a new coach and get back to being a top 25 team, then yeah I hope that happens. Watching Ferentz turn into a bitter ******* who seems to hate his job and fans while leading Iowa to a mediocre season year after year isn't a whole lot of fun.

The replies after the article were fairly even. Again small sample size. I seriously don't know anybody that is happy with Ferentz as our coach anymore. As far as people I talk to in everyday life I mean.

I'm ready for KF to step aside. Stagnation sets in when one coach is with a program this long. But it is really kind of a "devil you know" situation. If we bring in a new coach, will we move up to the MSU/Wisky level, or will we slide in with the Indiana/Purdue/NW/Illinois group?

What does Iowa really have at its disposal for one to think that it can consistently be a top 25 team?

KF has been great for Iowa...period. The article was well written albeit pretty one sided, but I thought it had some good points.

It's probably time for him to move on and this season will reveal that answer one way or the other.

I'm ready for KF to step aside. Stagnation sets in when one coach is with a program this long. But it is really kind of a "devil you know" situation. If we bring in a new coach, will we move up to the MSU/Wisky level, or will we slide in with the Indiana/Purdue/NW/Illinois group?

Last 10 / 5 seasons records against the bottom tier of the Big14 & ISU
MN: 6-4 / 2-3
IN: 6-3 / 3-1
PU: 6-2 / 3-1
NW: 4-6 / 2-3
ISU: 5-5 / 2-3
(Didn't include IL because last year was first time played since 2008.)

That's a woppin 27-20 over 10 and 12-11 over 5. Seems to me Hawks have already slid.

To me there's not much difference between going 3-9 and 7-5 each year. Either way, I'll go to a game or two a year to enjoy the tailgating and then watch the vast majority of the remaining games on TV. But there's a huge difference between going 7-5 and 10-2 or so and being a top 20 team. Those are the type of games that you look forward to all week, where there's a buzz around the team. We haven't had a game like that for going on five years now. I have absolutely no confidence in Ferentz ever being able to get back to that level, hell I don't think he could even come on with a plan, if everything went absolutely right, to get back there.

The reward of moving on from KF, so far outweighs the possibility of the program getting worse that it should be an easy decision to move on. We had a huge window where we could have established ourselves as an upper tier B10 team and we didn't do it. Michigan was down, Penn St was down, Ohio St had Tressel, who while a very good coach, was a very conservative coach who was shooting for B10 titles, not national championships. Michigan St and Wisconsin took advantage of that window, Iowa didn't. We're not even in the same ballpark as Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St will soon be back, we're significantly behind Wisconsin. And our best case scenario is now hoping for an 8-4 season every couple of years. So if Iowa needs to bottom out for a year to have a chance to get a new coach and get back to being a top 25 team, then yeah I hope that happens. Watching Ferentz turn into a bitter ******* who seems to hate his job and fans while leading Iowa to a mediocre season year after year isn't a whole lot of fun.

I never really thought about the difference between 3-9 and 7-5 before. I agree with you that there isn't much difference. I pretty much felt the same way after 2012 as i did last year.

absolute garbage piece. probably done reading any of the articles on this site anymore. it broke down to, we are IA. We should suck and we do. Why do you expect more? Our coach is a greatly paid coach who is doing exactly as we hope he would do at our loser IA program, which is not competing. At one point though the author went so far as to say that KF keeps us in competition w/the OSUs, Oregons, USCs. so bad. just really the worst butt sniffing article you could come up.
Hawknick could have written a more balanced story than this.

total garbage

absolute garbage piece. probably done reading any of the articles on this site anymore. it broke down to, we are IA. We should suck and we do. Why do you expect more? Our coach is a greatly paid coach who is doing exactly as we hope he would do at our loser IA program, which is not competing. At one point though the author went so far as to say that KF keeps us in competition w/the OSUs, Oregons, USCs. so bad. just really the worst butt sniffing article you could come up.
Hawknick could have written a more balanced story than this.

total garbage

We'll count you out of our projections then. THanks for the heads up

Last 10 / 5 seasons records against the bottom tier of the Big14 & ISU
MN: 6-4 / 2-3
IN: 6-3 / 3-1
PU: 6-2 / 3-1
NW: 4-6 / 2-3
ISU: 5-5 / 2-3
(Didn't include IL because last year was first time played since 2008.)

That's a woppin 27-20 over 10 and 12-11 over 5. Seems to me Hawks have already slid.

You don't think it could get worse? Do you really think Iowa is on par with those teams? Why don't we compare overall records over the last 10 / 5 seasons:

Iowa: 73-54 / 34-30

MN: 55-71 / 28-35
IN: 42-78 / 19-41
PU: 51-73 / 21-41
NW: 67-58 / 33-35
ISU: 45-78 / 22-40

Doesn't really support your argument. Even with KF's worst years figured in, Iowa is still better than all of those teams. Nobody is saying they are happy with mediocrity, there are just some people who know that a bad hire can easily drop us into a coaching carousel and then we would be on par with those teams.

Latest posts