Kirk swallows his pride and old ways…

Scott Leclair

What are the chances Kirk checks his ego at the door and pick up a solid QB in the transfer porthole? I really think a good/great QB can take Iowa to the promise land..

What are the chances Kirk checks his ego at the door and pick up a solid QB in the transfer porthole? I really think a good/great QB can take Iowa to the promise land..

The thread/post title could have been put more as a question. When I first read the title I thought something actually changed from Kirk and Fort Kinnick.

Kirk is most highly likely to remain with his same plans and way of doing things. Almost all of his starting QBs have been in the avg, slightly good, to below avg (few of these). Going by next level NFL success CJB and Stanzi are two of the best with Tate's Canada success being really good thru injuries. I am not sure if Stanley is still on a pro or practice roster right now.

Kirk's pro-style get the running game going first offense doesnt bring in the best receivers and doesnt always entice the really top QB recruits either.

Let's hope a QB jumps out of the pack in spring and fall after having improved and they grab the starting spot and have a great year next year.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid idea.

You wanna kill future recruiting and the current QB room? Bring in a portal QB.
I actually agree with this. Once teams that aren't perennial top 20 recruiting teams start bringing in portal QBs, it is hard for them to bring up home grown talent. See Northwestern and Maryland.

Hell, even Nebraska, and their surprisingly good recruiting rankings, are bringing in 2 portal QBs because they can't develop their own that aren't turnover machines. How many have transfered out of the cesspool? Now the likelihood of that freshman that played against us, pretty damn well thank you very much, will ever take another productive snap in their used tampon of a uniform is dropping daily.

I will take a counterpoint to the theme in this thread. I think the QB play at Iowa is so poor and it is one of the missing links on offense that is holding this team back from being overall good, but not great to be a very good/borderline great team.

Iowa is one good QB, shoring up some offensive line issues, and some offensive philosophy change to a team that can get over the hump in championship game situations.

If Iowa has even an average QB in the Citrus Bowl, they win that game on that metric alone. Difference between a 10 win and 11 win team with a bowl loss and a win.

A Division 1 QB playing in the Big Ten, even at Iowa, should be able to hit a wide-open receiver and not consistently over throw them by 10 feet or under-throw them. Apparently Kirk is very comfortable with Petras's play that the portal is not an option (as far as we know).

That is criminal....at the very least tactically stupid.

Last edited:
I just took a look at the list of quarterbacks in the portal, minus Caleb Williams, the rest of these dudes seem like a huge risk.

If Max Duggan had entered the transfer portal after the coaching change at TCU, imo, he would have been worth the risk. Slovis' girlfriend had ended up at Iowa...he would have been worth going after.

There is no one left in portal worth going after that trumps running it back with Petras or Padilla. Not super stoked about it, but it is the truth.

So you are saying not 1 player should ever be brought in from the porthole because it will kill future recruiting and not “upset” anyone in the “name a position” room? That’s is a real stupid idea.

I will take a counterpoint to the theme in this thread. I think the QB play at Iowa is so poor and it is one of the missing links on offense that is holding this team back from being overall good, but not great to be a very good/borderline great team.

Iowa is one good QB, shoring up some offensive line issues, and some offensive philosophy change to a team that can get over the hump in championship game situations.

If Iowa has even an average QB in the Citrus Bowl, they win that game on that metric alone. Difference between a 10 win and 11 win team with a bowl loss and a win.

A Division 1 QB playing in the Big Ten, even at Iowa, should be able to hit a wide-open receiver and not consistently over throw them by 10 feet or under-throw them. Apparently Kirk is very comfortable with Petras's play that the portal is not an option (as far as we know).

That is criminal....at the very least tactically stupid.
It is flat out embarrassing. Anyone who thinks “it is what it is” with Iowa QBs doesn't mind mediocracy. Iowa has the facilities, shown it can recruit great players and is not afraid to shell out $$$ to its coaches. So why in the hell can’t We get a QB with a pulse who can at least hit wide open receivers?

I just took a look at the list of quarterbacks in the portal, minus Caleb Williams, the rest of these dudes seem like a huge risk.

If Max Duggan had entered the transfer portal after the coaching change at TCU, imo, he would have been worth the risk. Slovis' girlfriend had ended up at Iowa...he would have been worth going after.

There is no one left in portal worth going after that trumps running it back with Petras or Padilla. Not super stoked about it, but it is the truth.
Ok, so do you think Petras will find the QB whisperer and become an above average QB next year?

So you are saying not 1 player should ever be brought in from the porthole because it will kill future recruiting and not “upset” anyone in the “name a position” room? That’s is a real stupid idea.
Agree.

O$U recently withdrew its "interest" in a 5* CB in the portal because current team members were having a hissy. Which I thought was total crap by the coaches.

Since when is competition a bad idea??? Man up boyz...it's how the world works.

Tired of the “is what it is” or the “don’t bring competition into the QB room because someone might get their feelings hurt” To freakin bad. Don’t like someone coming to take your spot,play better. They Keep babying these QBs like some fans want and they will have 0 killer instinct. The way Petras played this season, no way any college or hell, even high school that would continue to play him. Damn near last in every offensive catagory, 10 TDs and 9 ints this season. And he will be the starting QB next season. Yet bringing in QB competition and it’s the stupidest idea ever. GTFOH!

KF is probably thinking, whats the problem?

Since 2015 Iowa has finished 12-2, 8-5, 8-5, 9-4, 10-3, 6-2, and 10-4. 63-25 overall. 2 division titles, 3 bowl victories and 1 Rose Bowl appearance.

I mean, what more do you want?

Iowa's defense says thank you for acknowledging wins vs. losses as we had the most to do with them. Being on the field so often after the offenses many 3 and outs, gave us more opportunities to make big plays.

Latest posts