Kirk Ferentz- What Went Wrong

Well said. You took the words right out of my mouth. I, too, have been a Hawk fan... Going on 35 years ... And the this season is the first time I truly realized how apathetic I have become. I gave up my season tickets last year ... The year prior I only attended one game. I just can't make myself watch a program underperform. It's unfortunate because we have an incredible fanbase and we have top notch facilities. Yet we have underperformed for most of Kirk's tenure.

And I think that was most evident the year we went 7-5 when Clayborn was a senior and that team had a roster with a few NFLs on it. WThrye play the level of our opponent and we simply fail to put teams away. Too much of the same patterns... Getting out coached by 1st and 2nd year coaches ... And even losing to an interim coach against Minnesota a few years back.

It's tough to watch. And it's unfortunate to see our fan base become divided and some fans calling out others for not being "true" fans. We are all fans of the University of Iowa and it's time for a change. We've seen enough to know the program will continue to falter .... We've seen enough to know this staff will not exceed past being "average."

If you consider around 20 a few.

To me, it's 2 main problems:

1. Play the right guys. That is, play the most talented guys, the ones with the highest ceilings. Play the guys that can take it to the house. The guys that can throw darts. The guys that can jump the highest and run the fastest.

2. Play to the strengths of your players. Take the strengths of your best players and game plan around them. Get the ball in the hands of those dangerous players in key situation. Use them to take advantage of the weaknesses of the defense.

I don't think there is a talent shortage at Iowa. We just don't play the right guys. Weisman isn't playing because there is a shortage of RB talent. Rudock isn't playing because there is a shortage of QB talent. Vandenberg isn't playing because there is a shortage of WR talent. KF just plays the wrong guys. He has done this throughout his tenure. Maybe the best example is Bradley Fletcher sitting on the bench watching Adam Shada until his Senior year. I'm sure Adam is a good guy, but Bradley obviously had more talent and a higher ceiling than Adam, as Bradley is still playing in the NFL at a high level.

KF - play the right guys and play to their strengths.

To me, it's 2 main problems:1. Play the right guys. That is, play the most talented guys, the ones with the highest ceilings. Play the guys that can take it to the house. The guys that can throw darts. The guys that can jump the highest and run the fastest.2. Play to the strengths of your players. Take the strengths of your best players and game plan around them. Get the ball in the hands of those dangerous players in key situation. Use them to take advantage of the weaknesses of the defense.I don't think there is a talent shortage at Iowa. We just don't play the right guys. Weisman isn't playing because there is a shortage of RB talent. Rudock isn't playing because there is a shortage of QB talent. Vandenberg isn't playing because there is a shortage of WR talent. KF just plays the wrong guys. He has done this throughout his tenure. Maybe the best example is Bradley Fletcher sitting on the bench watching Adam Shada until his Senior year. I'm sure Adam is a good guy, but Bradley obviously had more talent and a higher ceiling than Adam, as Bradley is still playing in the NFL at a high level.KF - play the right guys and play to their strengths.
I've usually disagreed with people who maintain Ferentz doesn't play his most talented players, but I now think that criticism is fair. Your Fletcher/Shada is a good example and here's a few more:1. Aaron Greving began the 2002 season as our starting RB ahead of Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis.2. Jacoby Coleman began the 2008 season ahead of Pat Angerer on the depth chart.3. How is Jacob Hillyer a better option at WR than Derrick Willies?? I've already mentioned Vandeberg!4. Remember Herb Grigsby? For a while he was considered more worthy of playing time than DJK.5. For a while Rafael Eubanks was considered a better center than Rob Bruggeman.6. And, of course, deciding to play Christensen or Stanzi and Rudock of CJB.A good friend of mine used a "Top Gun" reference to describe how Ferentz decides who plays and who doesn't. If Ferentz was an Air Force commander and had to decide who to send in the air to complete an important mission he'd always pick IceMan because he's terrified of the mistakes a more skilled, talented, and unpredictable Maverick might make. ;)

.... here's a few more:1. Aaron Greving began the 2002 season as our starting RB ahead of Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis.2. Jacoby Coleman began the 2008 season ahead of Pat Angerer on the depth chart....

Your premise is correct but I take issue with these two. Based on Greving having a good year backing up Betts in 2001 and the fact he had a great bowl game to end the year when Betts could not play Greving had earned the top spot coming into 2002. How early 2002 played out with his injury and lack of confidence and desire to play does not change that. Pat Angerer freely admitted before his senior year that due to a lot of issues (including having mono) he was close to quitting the program after the '07 season. Coleman on the other hand had played a lot as a true freshman in '07 and had the potential to be a very good player - given those circumstances it made sense Coleman got the start in '08.

I would add the name Greg Castillo to a discussion like this - had the talent to be a minor role player at the Big Ten level (at best) but instead started several games over the course of his time at Iowa.

Your premise is correct but I take issue with these two. Based on Greving having a good year backing up Betts in 2001 and the fact he had a great bowl game to end the year when Betts could not play Greving had earned the top spot coming into 2002. How early 2002 played out with his injury and lack of confidence and desire to play does not change that. Pat Angerer freely admitted before his senior year that due to a lot of issues (including having mono) he was close to quitting the program after the '07 season. Coleman on the other hand had played a lot as a true freshman in '07 and had the potential to be a very good player - given those circumstances it made sense Coleman got the start in '08.I would add the name Greg Castillo to a discussion like this - had the talent to be a minor role player at the Big Ten level (at best) but instead started several games over the course of his time at Iowa.
Good points.Oh yes, Greg Castillo! Another great example of a player clearly in over his head, but his Dad is an NFL coach so Ferentz offers a scholarship.

Things have gotten allot worse with age and no accountability or financial pressure to succeed.

This is the worst it's been in regards to his personnel decisions.

He's become more conservative/afraid and more determined to reward seniority, loyalty and hard work put in. It's not coincidence he started using this "we need good stories" line the last few years.

Weve seen the back ups for Rudock, Weisman, Vandenburg and Hillyard. We know there is more talented guys on the sidelines.

Ridiculous contract extensions with ludicrous buy out amounts is what went wrong. It resulted in complacency.

In 20004 when our running backs went down, Ferentz & O'Keefe revamped the entire offense. The result was one of the most successfully Hawkeye teams of all time.

If Ferentz had his current contract back in 2004, I don't believe he would have changed the offense. He would have kept running stretch left, stretch right, with Sam Brownlee.

Oh and there's no way that Jake Rudock would have spotted Warren Holloway break loose down the field, or have the arm strength to deliver the ball.

When I think of how Iowa Football under Kirk Ferentz went south these are the reasons I keep coming back to:1. The Contract- I'd imagine when ADs get together, and Gary Barta isn't around, Ferentz's contract is the source of a lot of laughter and is used as a cautionary tale. Ferentz and his agent literally have Iowa over a barrel. I've heard it described that Ferentz coaches Iowa football with a giant middle finger in the air. Of course he does!! Because he knows he works for a weak and ineffective AD that can't touch him. What's worse is his assistant coaches know it too. Why go that extra mile in recruiting when you know your head coach has, basically, a lifetime contract and is known for being loyal to bad coaches(Kaz, Campbell, Davis, etc.).2. Recruiting- When Mark Weisman is your best option at RB for three consecutive years that is a failure of recruiting and player development. When Matt Vandeberg is your best option as a punt returner and sees the field before Derrick Willies that's a failure of recruiting and player development. When KMM is your best option at WR for three consecutive years that's a failure of recruiting and player development. And on and on and on......... Ferentz simply can't recruit dynamic skill position players. And when he gets a player like Powell he has no idea what to do with him.3. Not Understanding Player's Strengths and Weaknesses- Ferentz consistently struggles with understanding what his players can and can't do. You'd think after watching Weisman for three years Ferentz would've figured out his limitations. Hell No!! How many outside running plays were called for him yesterday. Even Matt Millen was scratching his head. I simply dont' understand how Rudock plays before CJB. Every advantage Rudock has CJ can learn. However, Rudock can't learn CJ's arm strength. How many times did Millen mention how late Rudock gets the ball to TEs and WRs??4. Strength and Conditioning- Let's face it. Since the rhabdo mess Iowa hasn't even been close to the "Bullies of the Big Ten". When Iowa was good under Ferentz we imposed our will on teams. Now the Minnesotas of the world manhandle us.The Iowa Football Program is desperate for new leadership!!!

I've usually disagreed with people who maintain Ferentz doesn't play his most talented players, but I now think that criticism is fair. Your Fletcher/Shada is a good example and here's a few more:1. Aaron Greving began the 2002 season as our starting RB ahead of Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis.2. Jacoby Coleman began the 2008 season ahead of Pat Angerer on the depth chart.3. How is Jacob Hillyer a better option at WR than Derrick Willies?? I've already mentioned Vandeberg!4. Remember Herb Grigsby? For a while he was considered more worthy of playing time than DJK.5. For a while Rafael Eubanks was considered a better center than Rob Bruggeman.6. And, of course, deciding to play Christensen or Stanzi and Rudock of CJB.A good friend of mine used a "Top Gun" reference to describe how Ferentz decides who plays and who doesn't. If Ferentz was an Air Force commander and had to decide who to send in the air to complete an important mission he'd always pick IceMan because he's terrified of the mistakes a more skilled, talented, and unpredictable Maverick might make. ;)

Iceman!? Kirk would pick Hollywood. Love the reference though!

Kirk consistently makes good NFL players, too bad he isn't an NFL coach. Needs to focus on making good college players.

If you put Ferentz and Fry on opposite sidelines, with the same talent... Hayden would beat him 8 times out of 10.

If you put Ferentz and Fry on opposite sidelines, with the same talent... Hayden would beat him 8 times out of 10.

KF would beat Fry in game #1 and after Fry would adjust and each game there after would get worse and worse for the KF led team. Games 8 thru 10 Hayden teams would be favored by 10+ points, it would be down right ugly for KF..

Latest posts