Kill the Gopher Game Thread

They both for sure have more to give. Hopefully those two take at least 15 of Bohannon's minutes.

I just hope Fran doesn't dig further into his bench. Not that he has much further to go. Evelyn has certainly not earned any more minutes

I just hope Fran doesn't dig further into his bench. Not that he has much further to go. Evelyn has certainly not earned any more minutes
Did I hear them tonight on the broadcast saying Pat was trying to come back and play this year? If Jbo sits we could use him.

Did I hear them tonight on the broadcast saying Pat was trying to come back and play this year? If Jbo sits we could use him.

Yeah I heard that too. He says he'll be back this year. I don't see the point though really. Why come back in the middle of big ten play as a freshman nowhere near game shape?

Not the incoming center, we can use him.

If Nunge is 100% and playing well I would be ok without him. If he's better than Pemsl right away that would be a good thing. If not, Garza, Nunge, and Pemsl if fine by me for bigs. I hope he's good enough to not redshirt tho.

Tomorrow's newspaper headlines:

"Lollapa-Luka Party In Iowa City"

"Hawks Answer The Call Of Oturu, Gophers Ride The Lightning"

51SQmzz11HL._SX260_.jpg

Agreed I think it kills our depth. Evelyn would have to play a bigger role which at this point is a complete unknown.

It sucks because this team was starting to look like a tourney type team but without Jbo we might be one guy short. As you guys mention we could have a good looking team on paper next year which is true, only thing is I cringe at Fran managing the rotation.
Ten assists not withstanding, JBo looks like he's laboring more and more out there.

That out of bounds play just before half, he had to catch turn and shoot. He struggled with it, throwing up an air ball.

Next year's rotation will work itself out. We lose Evelyn and Kriener. Luka and Joe will be going through the evaluation, may or may not be back. Cordell, if he doesn't grad transfer, will be relegated to the Uhl role. Ulis will almost certainly reshirt, especially if JBo takes the redshirt and is 100%.

I'm not worried about too many bodies even with Nunge back in the mix.

Ten assists not withstanding, JBo looks like he's laboring more and more out there.

That out of bounds play just before half, he had to catch turn and shoot. He struggled with it, throwing up an air ball.

Next year's rotation will work itself out. We lose Evelyn and Kriener. Luka and Joe will be going through the evaluation, may or may not be back. Cordell, if he doesn't grad transfer, will be relegated to the Uhl role. Ulis will almost certainly reshirt, especially if JBo takes the redshirt and is 100%.

I'm not worried about too many bodies even with Nunge back in the mix.
I think what we were saying or implying is that if Garza and Wieskamp do come back. Ulis isn’t the only freshman, we are bringing in 5 guys. Fran has played too many guys before at the expense of the team in my opinion.

They held a B1G opponent to 54, the defense is never gonna be elite, but on any given night, tonight’s effort is gonna be enough with how this team can score.

So only look at the final score? Minnesota only made 6 of 25 three pointers with Carr and Kalscheur combined 0-12. If you watched the game you will see that many of those misses were wide open shots. I get a lot of the focus was stopping Oturo but that perimeter defense has to improve or Iowa will get crushed by the 3 ball.

Having said that I do think they did a decent job containing Oturo. Granted he scored 22 points but I credit the defense for a lot of his 8 turnovers, the defense cause him to force things which resulted in Oturo shuffling his feet.

So only look at the final score? Minnesota only made 6 of 25 three pointers with Carr and Kalscheur combined 0-12. If you watched the game you will see that many of those misses were wide open shots. I get a lot of the focus was stopping Oturo but that perimeter defense has to improve or Iowa will get crushed by the 3 ball.

Having said that I do think they did a decent job containing Oturo. Granted he scored 22 points but I credit the defense for a lot of his 8 turnovers, the defense cause him to force things which resulted in Oturo shuffling his feet.

So, it's Iowa's fault that Minnesota can't shoot? It's not. It's also to Iowa's credit that THEY can. Iowa is going to be the better shooting team in 95% of their games this season. Currently I believe Iowa has like the # 4 scoring O in the country according to Ken Pom and this has been a much tougher schedule then in previous years. They might not have played all top 25 teams, but they haven't been feeding that # against sub 300's either. That type of defense is a winning combo for Iowa. It's not great by any means, but it's enough to be a 20 win team.

So, it's Iowa's fault that Minnesota can't shoot? It's not. It's also to Iowa's credit that THEY can. Iowa is going to be the better shooting team in 95% of their games this season. Currently I believe Iowa has like the # 4 scoring O in the country according to Ken Pom and this has been a much tougher schedule then in previous years. They might not have played all top 25 teams, but they haven't been feeding that # against sub 300's either. That type of defense is a winning combo for Iowa. It's not great by any means, but it's enough to be a 20 win team.

lol...aw jeez...I'm exiting this one. smh

I think the truth does lie somewhere in the middle. I think Iowa’s defense was okay tonight, certainly better than Michigan. The biggest improvement was in the pick and roll defense.

With that said I still think it is plenty fair to point out that Minnesota just couldn’t make anything, even Fran mentioned that after the game. That’s probably the difference between an Iowa 20 point win and an Iowa 6-8 point win though.

As you said, even playing okay defense on most nights will be enough for Iowa to win given the offensive firepower we have.

I think the truth does lie somewhere in the middle. I think Iowa’s defense was okay tonight, certainly better than Michigan. The biggest improvement was in the pick and roll defense.

With that said I still think it is plenty fair to point out that Minnesota just couldn’t make anything, even Fran mentioned that after the game. That’s probably the difference between an Iowa 20 point win and an Iowa 6-8 point win though.

As you said, even playing okay defense on most nights will be enough for Iowa to win given the offensive firepower we have.

That’s pretty much what I’m saying. Even if Minnesota shoots closer to their average Iowa still wins that game. But good perimeter shooting teams are gonna give us fits if Iowa leaves them open like they did last night.

Perhaps it was part of the defensive strategy last night.

Really fun team to watch. I thought they could be good. There's a lot of new pieces that are trying to figure out where they fit so I feel that can get even better as the season goes on. Those lineup's with 0 shooters on the floor have to go.

I find it funny that people bitch about the Carver atmosphere from their couch. Maybe you should get off your ass and go to the game next time. Nah, nah would rather complain...

One of the best things I saw tonight was Garza actually passed it out of the post which led to open shots. That can make this Iowa offense even tougher to defend, especially with all the shooters we have. Come down to double Garza and it will lead to a good shooter stepping into a good look.

That aspect is one of the main keys to a successful season

Luka is gonna attract mucho attention inside around the basket, 2/3 opponents are going to collapse around him because there is more than a 50% chance he is going to make the basket, if not, he will probably get free throws and he is solid at that

They should leave 2/3 players open on the perimeter. We have three deadeye snipers on the team. If we can maintain spacing around the perimeter, someone will be open

This is a potential nightmare for opponents. Michigan did the best I have seen in a long time taking the three away from our arsenal

We do have some difficult road games coming up. Iowa State, Cincinnati in Chicago, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State at the Spectrum, Indiana and Michigan State......

They will all be difficult to emerge victorious, but the possibility certainly exists. The games at Carver, even against ranked opposition will all be winnable if things are clicking for the Lads

Gonna be a fun season

That’s pretty much what I’m saying. Even if Minnesota shoots closer to their average Iowa still wins that game. But good perimeter shooting teams are gonna give us fits if Iowa leaves them open like they did last night.

Perhaps it was part of the defensive strategy last night.

I'm pretty sure Minnesota is one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the Big 10 this year. We are going to lose more games this year because teams shoot well from 3 and we are going to win more games this year because teams shoot poorly from 3, just like every team this year. We don't defend it all that well. But that just means the odds are higher that teams will shoot good against us. It doesn't mean they always will shoot good against us, even tho it sure seems like they do.

Really fun team to watch. I thought they could be good. There's a lot of new pieces that are trying to figure out where they fit so I feel that can get even better as the season goes on. Those lineup's with 0 shooters on the floor have to go.

I find it funny that people bitch about the Carver atmosphere from their couch. Maybe you should get off your ass and go to the game next time. Nah, nah would rather complain...

I don't complain so much about the number of people do as much as I complain about how lame of an atmosphere they create and demand.

Latest posts