Kicked off the team

That didn't look like a full-blown intentional lateral to me. To me it looked like the guy tackling Ross shook the ball loose during the tackle. Ross saw Stanley standing right in front of him and tried to bat the ball to Stanley after it was already loose.
Concur with this analysis. Lost the ball a bit, tried to flip it for a lateral rather than dropping it to a defender. Things happen.

for that lateral?

If Beyer didn’t get kicked off the team for costing us the Wisconsin game last year there’s no fucking way Ross should. Put the wine coolers away, Karen.

Ross is a journeyman who’s been the most solid FB we’ve had in a long time, and he’s hugely popular with players and coaches. He’s also been a member of the leadership group for a long time which is chosen by players.

And, he wasn’t trying to lateral the ball. He happened to be looking at Stanley when it got knocked loose.

I’m willing to bet you wouldn’t get fired at your job for forgetting to put salt on the fries and napkins in the bag, and that’s about how serious Ross’ mistake was.

That didn't look like a full-blown intentional lateral to me. To me it looked like the guy tackling Ross shook the ball loose during the tackle. Ross saw Stanley standing right in front of him and tried to bat the ball to Stanley after it was already loose.
It was a poor lateral attempt....it sure looked like a botched lateral

Don’t care what happened. Ball security is a must, and he will be on a short leash for a while.

Look, if you were watching the game like Ross was you would've seen NS wheels. The lateral was the obvious call at that moment. BF may go full Wildcat offense now this really could be the beginning of something big ;)

for that lateral?

TNieD4v.gif

The real question at hand, what percentage of FBS teams actually still us a fullback in their offense? I’ll hang up and listen.

It was a fullback off tackle, where Ross was optioning off the DE. The DE came down on him, so he pitched it to Stanley. From there, ISM was coming in motion and was Stanley's option man. If ISM gets it OR if Stanley keeps it, they both have the option to throw it to Smith who ran a dig and then came back to the ball and is supposed to time it out so he's 5 yards down field. A great play when you need 5-7 yards.

I just watched this again. My previous analysis was incorrect.

In real time it appears to be a lateral attempt like the TV announcers said, but when you watch it frame-by-frame it is clearly a fumble with no lateral attempt whatsoever.

Ross's arms don't come up until after the ball is loose. He didn't have control of the ball as it came out and was simply reaching for the ball after he realized he lost it. Stanley just happened to be standing in front of him when the fumble occurred.

Fryowa is right again. :)