Kicked off the team

He clearly tried to lateral it to Stanley. clearly. wasn't losing it. he tried to lateral it to Stanley. real time, slow motion, whatever, doesn't matter, he was clearly trying to toss it to Stanley.

Yep, it is sooooo obvious he tried to lateral that. For those who think he didn't try to lateral it, listen to the Washed up Walkon's podcast. They said it was a lateral, and also said Brady Ross snap chatted them about it.

The Hawks still won didn't they? At the end of the day it goes down as a fumble on the stat sheet regardless.

Unless Ross fumbles again this year (and I'm betting he won't), no one's going to remember this play at the end of the season.

The Hawks still won didn't they? At the end of the day it goes down as a fumble on the stat sheet regardless.

Unless Ross fumbles again this year (and I'm betting he won't), no one's going to remember this play at the end of the season.
true. was a big play for a couple minutes in this game, as they scored a td off it. however the team responded which is what you would hope would happen in a situation like this. guys will screw up, but what you want to see is everybody picking each other up. sucked they didn't keep them from scoring, but the team did play well after that drive and made it not matter like it could have...….ie. see Wisconsin last year, which was a similar type of play, that did end up costing us.

Gee. A good football player made a dumb move. Who would have ever thought that would happen. So, let’s have a three page thread dissecting his error with a rant that he should be kicked off the team. Wow. Just wow.

Gee. A good football player made a dumb move. Who would have ever thought that would happen. So, let’s have a three page thread dissecting his error with a rant that he should be kicked off the team. Wow. Just wow.
Oh, the HUMANITY

I just watched this again. My previous analysis was incorrect.

In real time it appears to be a lateral attempt like the TV announcers said, but when you watch it frame-by-frame it is clearly a fumble with no lateral attempt whatsoever.

Ross's arms don't come up until after the ball is loose. He didn't have control of the ball as it came out and was simply reaching for the ball after he realized he lost it. Stanley just happened to be standing in front of him when the fumble occurred.

Fryowa is right again. :)
Hmm, I must have missed the first time

This surprises you? How far did we get with the Oliver Martin page last week lol.

After watching it multiple times, he clearly tried to lateral it. He had the ball secured with both arms, then brought it down into one before trying to pitch it. You say he lost the ball, then tried to lateral it. Tell me then, who exactly stripped the ball? The only guy touching him clearly had both hands wrapped around his waist.
It was a boneheaded play no doubt, but it doesn't change the fact that Brady is a terrific fullback and characterizes what Iowa is all about.

That didn't look like a full-blown intentional lateral to me. To me it looked like the guy tackling Ross shook the ball loose during the tackle. Ross saw Stanley standing right in front of him and tried to bat the ball to Stanley after it was already loose.
Look closely, the guy tackling him has his arms wrapped around his waist the entire time

There was a second tackler that got his left hand in there.

on the grassy knoll...

PleasingSimpleIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

There was a second tackler that got his left hand in there.
Say what?? There were only two defensive players that touched him from the time the play started to when he fumbled. At the time he fumbled (shown below), #49 had both hands wrapped around his waist. #27 had two hands around Ross' ankle. You're telling me that the guy around his ankle punched the ball out with his left hand?

Ross-fumb-1.jpg

Last edited:
on the grassy knoll...

PleasingSimpleIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

Say what?? There were only two defensive players that touched him from the time the play started to when he fumbled. At the time he fumbled (shown below), #49 had both hands wrapped around his waist. #27 had two hands around Ross' ankle. You're telling me that the guy around his ankle punched the ball out with his left hand?

Ross-fumb-1.jpg

There is a closeup shot of Ross from the opposite angle in the broadcast which is the picture that comes to mind when I think of this play. I thought for sure I saw another defender behind and to the left of the tackler that may have got his arm on the ball. Obviously, my recollection is wrong and the defender was much further away than he appeared to be in the replay. I deleted the game from my DVR Monday night so I haven't been able to watch it for a few days, and no replay is available on YouTube (yet). However, I did find a highlight video that shows the play, but not at the camera angle from the back side I was referring to.

I still stand by my analysis from post #20.

There is a closeup shot of Ross from the opposite angle in the broadcast which is the picture that comes to mind when I think of this play. I thought for sure I saw another defender behind and to the left of the tackler that may have got his arm on the ball. Obviously, my recollection is wrong and the defender was much further away than he appeared to be in the replay. I deleted the game from my DVR Monday night so I haven't been able to watch it for a few days, and no replay is available on YouTube (yet). However, I did find a highlight video that shows the play, but not at the camera angle from the back side I was referring to.

I still stand by my analysis from post #20.

That's why I showed from the angle I did, that's exactly when he fumbled. The other two players are at least 6 feet away when he fumbled. I didn't delete the DVR and have seen it many, many times trying to figure out what he was thinking.

Here's an image of after the ball is out, the "other tacklers" you're referring to are still not close enough to touch Brady. Look where 49's hands still are, around the waist where they were the whole time.

Ross-fumb-2.png

Ross-fumb-3.png

I am about 90% positive he was trying to lateral. And want to know the crazy thing? As it was happening, and he was clearly going to be stopped short of the 1st down, the thought that immediately popped into my head was, "Lateral it to Stanley, he's standing right there!" So it was probably my fault, I somehow telepathically caused him to do that.

I am about 90% positive he was trying to lateral. And want to know the crazy thing? As it was happening, and he was clearly going to be stopped short of the 1st down, the thought that immediately popped into my head was, "Lateral it to Stanley, he's standing right there!" So it was probably my fault, I somehow telepathically caused him to do that.

I thought the same thing. My thought was, "He didn't cross the line of scrimmage, Nate, you can throw!"

Haha yeah, for sure a lot of us were thinking that - it just didn't turn out the way we had planned :(

Latest posts