KF talks: No Huddle here to stay?

I am well aware that I could be wrong on this, but kf has never been a coordinator, right? If that's true, he's got no business at all calling any plays or even being close to anyone that does.
Again, I could be wrong but I thought he was O line coach here and then went on to be head coach at Maine. From there he was an O line coach in the NFL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FreedComanche

LOL is there a magical DNA strand needed in order to make play calls that we don't know about? You do understand most head football coaches have been around the game long enough to be able to make play calls don't you? I'd be willing to bet KF has been around the game of football as long as some OC's have been alive. Just because he started out as an OL coach means nothing.

Now some coaches are more adept at playcalling than others, but to suggest KF isn't capable of it simply because he started out as an offensive line coach is ludicrous. Geez Louise, you act like he's performing brain surgery on the president and he's never taken a single surgical course.

LOL is there a magical DNA strand needed in order to make play calls that we don't know about? You do understand most head football coaches have been around the game long enough to be able to make play calls don't you? I'd be willing to bet KF has been around the game of football as long as some OC's have been alive. Just because he started out as an OL coach means nothing.

Now some coaches are more adept at playcalling than others, but to suggest KF isn't capable of it simply because he started out as an offensive line coach is ludicrous. Geez Louise, you act like he's performing brain surgery on the president and he's never taken a single surgical course.

he's doing something right. i'd suggest most on this board have only seen 1 BCS level bowl victory out of iowa in their lifetimes. last one being in the 50s. but those guys don't like that logic.

Confusion and two yard outs here to stay as well?

Hopefully, a lot more wheel routes for Cazeri/Bullock, seam routes for CJF. The wheel route is GD's secret weapon and the seam route for the TE was open a lot last year.....maybe the no huddle approach takes advantage of this.

I might not recall correctly but it seemed to me that the no-huddle only happened when they gained positive yards. After a sack or incompletion or loss, the just walked back to the huddle.

i agree. and i think he realizes that this is the crew that he's either going to sink, or swim with, and that he needs to at least trust the people he's surrounded himself with.

It really does come down to this.....Will Melrose or Hawkins Dr. be renamed KF way, Stevie graduates and BF takes over all depends on this. There is a part of me that thinks he is going to pull this off.

Some times no-huddle is great. Other times it's just a no-huddle offense.

How well did it work against MSU in 2011? Get a couple "designated fakers" and you can even slow Oregon down.

Ok, seems you wouldn't have any trouble hiring a position coach as a head coach if you were an AD. I'd be much more apt to hire a coordinator before hiring a position coach.

Have done no research on this, but I'd bet most coaches who end up being head coaches in d-1a have been coordinators. I'd never considered, before today that kf was never a coordinator before.

Again, would I hired a position coach as a head coach? Possibly, but I'd much rather hire a coordinator. And I do think coordinators would better know how to run a team vs a position coach. It only makes sense that they would since they are running one half of the team.

FreedComanche

Is this serious, or just a major trolling event? Reese Morgan had never coached DL as far as I know at the D1 level, but he moved there last year. Just saying that most of these guys could all call plays as an OC. If you want to talk about how successful they would be that is another thing all together, yet they all have enough football knowledge to call plays.....oh yeah, and that includes kurt ferrets.

LOL.........ok, man. If you honestly think kf is suited to call offensive plays, I can't relate to your mind set.

FreedComanche

LOL.........ok, man. If you honestly think kf is suited to call offensive plays, I can't relate to your mind set.

FreedComanche

Never said he would be good at it, but he is more than qualified. If you don't understand that, then you don't even understand where OC and DC come from......(I'll give you a hint, they don't start off as OC and DC, they start off as position coaches, and before that they are GA's). If you think that ANY D1 head coach couldn't call plays, then I don't know what to tell you. Once again I'm not saying they would be good at it, but they have more than enough football experience to do it.

I would have to think it would be to ones advantage to be a OC before being a HC. However I really dont belive KF is very involved in calling specific plays. Remember the MSU game where KOK huddled with the offense and called McNutts number. KF didnt even get in that huddle. I think what most of you dont like is he is conservative. If he tells the OC to sit on the ball he is going to do it. Huddle/ No huddle whatever. The osu game. If he says run out the clock. He may not call the play but we will run out the clock. Thats not going to change much. He will call what he thinks gives us the best chance to win.

In a no huddle every part has to be fast and efficient. This includes the coaching staff. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to it.

Much of what I've seen with the no huddle offense has not been particularly fast. It seems mostly to be about freezing the defense to what it has on the field. Once at the line, there still seems to be quite a bit of time actually getting the play called.

No huddle does not equal fast.

I would have to think it would be to ones advantage to be a OC before being a HC. However I really dont belive KF is very involved in calling specific plays. Remember the MSU game where KOK huddled with the offense and called McNutts number. KF didnt even get in that huddle. I think what most of you dont like is he is conservative. If he tells the OC to sit on the ball he is going to do it. Huddle/ No huddle whatever. The osu game. If he says run out the clock. He may not call the play but we will run out the clock. Thats not going to change much. He will call what he thinks gives us the best chance to win.

That is just it, KF isn't calling plays and everyone knows that. He didn't micromanage KOK, and he doesn't GD either....if you want to see that, then watch the Cyclones. Heck Rhoads wouldn't let Tom Herman call plays at one point, then he throw his new OC under the bus after games (Messingham)....now that guy is a micromanager with his OC's

That is just it, KF isn't calling plays and everyone knows that. He didn't micromanage KOK, and he doesn't GD either....if you want to see that, then watch the Cyclones. Heck Rhoads wouldn't let Tom Herman call plays at one point, then he throw his new OC under the bus after games (Messingham)....now that guy is a micromanager with his OC's

You just insulted the great CPR. Somewhere a Clone's head just exploded.

I think this is what its about. That and just getting more offensive plays in a game. Keeping certain Defensive pkgs off the field. A WR told me everytime we went to a 3 WR set the D knew we were going to pass and put in a pkg to stop it Im excited about it. Should be fun to watch. Its all still going to come down to if we can control the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball
Much of what I've seen with the no huddle offense has not been particularly fast. It seems mostly to be about freezing the defense to what it has on the field. Once at the line, there still seems to be quite a bit of time actually getting the play called.

No huddle does not equal fast.

I hate being micromanaged almost more than anything on this earth, but sometimes a head coach has to.

Rhoads and kf are two totally different types of coaches. One is agrressive, the other plays the percentages. I think you have to be a mix of both to be very good.

FreedComanche

Never said he would be good at it, but he is more than qualified. If you don't understand that, then you don't even understand where OC and DC come from......(I'll give you a hint, they don't start off as OC and DC, they start off as position coaches, and before that they are GA's). If you think that ANY D1 head coach couldn't call plays, then I don't know what to tell you. Once again I'm not saying they would be good at it, but they have more than enough football experience to do it.

You are missing my point. I never said he doesn't have football knowledge. I mean that not all coaches are suited to call plays. Don't know if kf would be good at calling plays or not. Don't know if he's suited to calling plays, but would think that he is not. However, since he's never run an offense, I wouldn't want him calling plays. How does that not make sense to you?

FreedComanche

Ok, seems you wouldn't have any trouble hiring a position coach as a head coach if you were an AD. I'd be much more apt to hire a coordinator before hiring a position coach.

Have done no research on this, but I'd bet most coaches who end up being head coaches in d-1a have been coordinators. I'd never considered, before today that kf was never a coordinator before.

Again, would I hired a position coach as a head coach? Possibly, but I'd much rather hire a coordinator. And I do think coordinators would better know how to run a team vs a position coach. It only makes sense that they would since they are running one half of the team.

FreedComanche

If I was an AD I would take a lot of things into consideration before choosing who to hire. Experience would be pretty high up on that list, but I wouldn't nitpick exactly what kind of experience it was.

I don't think KF has any desire to call plays. That's not the style of coach he is, nor do I think he would be all that good at it. He'll get involved in different situations, but he won't call plays. He's a CEO. I know it's been said over and over again, but he runs his team much like an NFL coach would. He lets his coaches coach. Norm Parker repeated that in interviews over and over again. He said the main reason he stayed at Iowa so long was because Coach Ferentz was a great guy to work for. He let him do his job, and he didn't micro-manage.

I'm sure if you did research a lot of D1 head coaches were coordinators at some point, but that's only because that is the most typical way a coach works his way up through the ranks. Grad Assistant, position coach, Coordinator, and then head coach. That doesn't mean it's the only way to go about things.

The only problem I had with your post is the way you made it sound like KF would have no knowledge whatsoever regarding how to call a play simply because he was never a coordinator. He's been around the game for a realllly long time. I think he prefers to take a more holistic approach to running his team, but if he had to call a play I think he'd be more than capable.