KF talks: No Huddle here to stay?

Eda

It's a brief one, but it is the offseason, and any tidbits are much appreciated.

Here’s what Kirk Ferentz thinks about the no-huddle offense | Hawk Central

"Under the guidance of second-year offensive coordinator Greg Davis, Iowa installed the no-huddle attack during spring practices. Now that he’s had two months to ponder the move, Ferentz remains all in. And he sees the move helping the Hawkeyes on both sides of the ball."

The no huddle looked good in spring ball, and hopefully the offense can continue to polish it up during summer workouts.

Oh great...with "boring offense" off the table we're going to see an increase in "KF chews gum" and "KF doesn't show enough emotion" blasts after a loss...:mad:

Oh great...with "boring offense" off the table we're going to see an increase in "KF chews gum" and "KF doesn't show enough emotion" blasts after a loss...:mad:

I don't think it would take much to get people back on the KF bandwagon. It's not like he's an Alfraud type. He's genuinely a good guy. He cares about his players and his staff. Good representative for the U. There are a lot of reasons to like KF. It just happens to be that his football teams aren't one of them, at this point in time.

The more responsibility kf gives away the better at this point

i agree. and i think he realizes that this is the crew that he's either going to sink, or swim with, and that he needs to at least trust the people he's surrounded himself with.

i agree. and i think he realizes that this is the crew that he's either going to sink, or swim with, and that he needs to at least trust the people he's surrounded himself with.

I think the next couple years may define KFz more than any part of his tenure at IOWA. If he shows that he can change, grow and do things differently... and as a result put up a few more 8-10 win seasons... he'll have cemented his place as a great coach. Succeeding in a big way with two largely different staffs...and different approaches would be quite an accomplishment.

If he continues to play the risk averse, micromanaging coach who is anchored to his conservative ways...and couldn't manage the clock well enough to microwave a Quik Trip burrito... he'll validate the critics and end his career on the down side.

It will be an interesting run between now an 2015.

In a no huddle every part has to be fast and efficient. This includes the coaching staff. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to it.

I think the next couple years may define KFz more than any part of his tenure at IOWA. If he shows that he can change, grow and do things differently... and as a result put up a few more 8-10 win seasons... he'll have cemented his place as a great coach. Succeeding in a big way with two largely different staffs...and different approaches would be quite an accomplishment.

If he continues to play the risk averse, micromanaging coach who is anchored to his conservative ways...and couldn't manage the clock well enough to microwave a Quik Trip burrito... he'll validate the critics and end his career on the down side.

When did KF become a "micromanager"? Just curious, as you don't see him calling plays for the O, or D for that matter. He is pretty much like every other HC in the fact that he obviously decides when to punt, or go for it, those sorts of things.

Maybe I'm off base here, but he just doesn't strike me as a micromanager. Plus keep in mind that before GD, he had basically a consistent staff in place that were all on the same page game planning wise. Overbearing micromanagers don't keep Coordinators for over a decade. It is a high turnover job as it is, so I just don't see them staying if this is/was the case.

I agree with your first and third paragraphs. I'm not so sure of the 2nd one. KirFer won many games with his approach, and could very well do it again. We don't know yet, because the ride isn't over.

When did KF become a "micromanager"? Just curious, as you don't see him calling plays for the O, or D for that matter. He is pretty much like every other HC in the fact that he obviously decides when to punt, or go for it, those sorts of things.

Maybe I'm off base here, but he just doesn't strike me as a micromanager. Plus keep in mind that before GD, he had basically a consistent staff in place that were all on the same page game planning wise. Overbearing micromanagers don't keep Coordinators for over a decade. It is a high turnover job as it is, so I just don't see them staying if this is/was the case.

I am well aware that I could be wrong on this, but kf has never been a coordinator, right? If that's true, he's got no business at all calling any plays or even being close to anyone that does.

Again, I could be wrong but I thought he was O line coach here and then went on to be head coach at Maine. From there he was an O line coach in the NFL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FreedComanche

Even Diesel said not more than a month ago that KF needed to get out of the offenses way(I think that was pretty close to his wording).

he is not. but the hate crowd will grasp any straw they can to further their argument.

Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. How else do you explain why with two different OCs that it takes so long to get the play in?

I think you are right Freed. He doesnt call plays and is known to be a big time delegator. But He does make major decsions. and he tends to make them very consevatively. He makes almost no personel decsion during a game except for QB

I am well aware that I could be wrong on this, but kf has never been a coordinator, right? If that's true, he's got no business at all calling any plays or even being close to anyone that does.

Again, I could be wrong but I thought he was O line coach here and then went on to be head coach at Maine. From there he was an O line coach in the NFL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FreedComanche

Is this serious, or just a major trolling event? Reese Morgan had never coached DL as far as I know at the D1 level, but he moved there last year. Just saying that most of these guys could all call plays as an OC. If you want to talk about how successful they would be that is another thing all together, yet they all have enough football knowledge to call plays.....oh yeah, and that includes kurt ferrets.

Last edited:
Well the reason refer to Jon Diesel Miller is that he usually keeps his opinions on KF to himself. He also covers Iowa sports for a living.

jd made a similar call on iowa's offense around 2007/2008. called it a dinosaur, or something. he publicly ate his words.

he no shy to showing his football prowess. if he is doing this again now, i expect good things on the horizon for iowa football.

Even Diesel said not more than a month ago that KF needed to get out of the offenses way(I think that was pretty close to his wording).

You would have to check with JD, but I don't think he was talking about KF micromanaging GD, or making play calls for GD.