KF Disbands Former-Player Advisory Committee

This is a strange exercise. No one here has the answers so why even create more theories / possible explanations? Putting it all under the good of discussion is not productive or fair to any individuals involved in this.
This. Maybe someone could get us a transcript of the meeting from Oct so we can stop speculating.

KF gave lipservice to improving DEI issues within his program, because he had no choice but to do so. But, when the rubber met the road, he was not going to do the heavy lifting it took to educate his staff and team, and make the type of changes necessary to create an environment of inclusion. Its not because he is racist or a bad person or uncaring. He is just really old school and he prioritizes his energy and resources on preparing to play football. This got to be too much of a distraction for him during the season, and he had enough.

I do not doubt Porter's sincerity. I think he sees exactly what I just said. He was asked to serve in a position to help bring the Iowa football program into the modern era, and he concluded that KF was not capable of doing that. I think he is right. So, he spoke his peace.

That is not to say that I think KF should step down. But, we should acknowledge what it is. Iowa is choosing wins and losses over creating a more racially inclusive environment. I am NOT saying Iowa is choosing to be racist. No. But, there is a difference between racism and creating an appropriate atmosphere that prioritizes DEI. DEI is NOT a priority of Iowa football. That seems pretty much beyond debate. We will see how that works out.

I would say that if Porter's recommendation led to the dissolution of the committee, I could buy that. And maybe it was the reason. But that's not what KF is saying:

“While the formal committee will no longer meet regularly, the input and direction they provide will be welcomed in our program,” Ferentz wrote in his statement. “A player does not stop being a member of our program when their eligibility expires. Our former players help guide and support our present and our future. I am thankful for their time and contributions.

“The decision to evolve the Advisory Committee was made in November and communicated in January. Dave Porter did not share his sentiments with me directly. He included them on a former player group text chain where some of our current coaches are part of that group. I was surprised and disappointed by his comment and wish him the best moving forward. His comment had no influence on the decision regarding the Advisory Committee.”
You know the situation better than me.

My thought as a guy outside the bubble, is that if KF had something lined up, and ready to be thoughtfully implemented in it's place rather than just saying, "I'm shutting this down, we'll put something together to replace it at a future time but we don't know what it'll be," this wouldn't have imploded like it is now.

Whether KF is being vengeful or not (I'm not in his head) it sure looks like he is. You'd think someone at the U would've at least seen how the timing and optics of this looked.

KF gave lipservice to improving DEI issues within his program, because he had no choice but to do so. But, when the rubber met the road, he was not going to do the heavy lifting it took to educate his staff and team, and make the type of changes necessary to create an environment of inclusion. Its not because he is racist or a bad person or uncaring. He is just really old school and he prioritizes his energy and resources on preparing to play football. This got to be too much of a distraction for him during the season, and he had enough.

I do not doubt Porter's sincerity. I think he sees exactly what I just said. He was asked to serve in a position to help bring the Iowa football program into the modern era, and he concluded that KF was not capable of doing that. I think he is right. So, he spoke his peace.

That is not to say that I think KF should step down. But, we should acknowledge what it is. Iowa is choosing wins and losses over creating a more racially inclusive environment. I am NOT saying Iowa is choosing to be racist. No. But, there is a difference between racism and creating an appropriate atmosphere that prioritizes DEI. DEI is NOT a priority of Iowa football. That seems pretty much beyond debate. We will see how that works out.
I was somewhat heartened by the outward things that got changed a couple summers ago. Stuff like jewelry, dress code, especially social media expression being allowed. But I have to admit that after this announcement, it looks like those were just Scooby snacks to try to get everyone to shut up about it.

I do however agree with part of Lomax's view point which is that the people who should be most important, and most listened to are current players. It has to be that way.

I'm not dismissing the importance of past wrongs being addressed (i.e. Doyle, BF, and Wallace), but they are separate issues, IMO.

My thought as a guy outside the bubble, is that if KF had something lined up, and ready to be thoughtfully implemented in it's place rather than just saying, "I'm shutting this down, we'll put something together to replace it at a future time but we don't know what it'll be," this wouldn't have imploded like it is now.

Whether KF is being vengeful or not (I'm not in his head) it sure looks like he is. You'd think someone at the U would've at least seen how the timing and optics of this looked.

That's a fair point. There are aspects/parts of the story we don't know. We may never know.

But there is one constant, and you addressed it in your last sentence.

I would say that if Porter's recommendation led to the dissolution of the committee, I could buy that. And maybe it was the reason. But that's not what KF is saying:

“While the formal committee will no longer meet regularly, the input and direction they provide will be welcomed in our program,” Ferentz wrote in his statement. “A player does not stop being a member of our program when their eligibility expires. Our former players help guide and support our present and our future. I am thankful for their time and contributions.

“The decision to evolve the Advisory Committee was made in November and communicated in January. Dave Porter did not share his sentiments with me directly. He included them on a former player group text chain where some of our current coaches are part of that group. I was surprised and disappointed by his comment and wish him the best moving forward. His comment had no influence on the decision regarding the Advisory Committee.”
With his statement, what KF is effectively saying going forward is: "I can be contacted by INDIVIDUALS with concerns or ideas and I will listen respectfully, but there will be no more COMMITTEES or AUTHORIZED GROUPS which will have power to make specific recommendations or public statements about the football program." It's a classic diffusion of criticism and consolidation of power move, altho in this case executed with elementary-school level sophistication.

Ha. I've been called many things over my lifetime, but naive is not one of them. Of course Barta knew what KF was doing, but neither you nor I know if the Prez of UI knew -- there is such a thing as delegation of authority at a corporation as large as the UI. It's more likely her chief of staff knew...possibly...but that's beside the point. Do I think Barta "bends to KF's will"? Absolutely. (All you have to do is look at their pay grade & seniority.) And this is a perfect example of it: Barta either had neither the guts to tell, instruct, or cajole KF into handling this better, or he simply didn't have the intelligence to do so. Either way, once again Barta proves himself incapable of managing a BTen athletic dept.
Yeah. I guess if you have pre-judged Barta and the U of I president, then you believe what you believe.

With his statement, what KF is effectively saying going forward is: "I can be contacted by INDIVIDUALS with concerns or ideas and I will listen respectfully, but there will be no more COMMITTEES or AUTHORIZED GROUPS which will have power to make specific recommendations or public statements about the football program." It's a classic diffusion of criticism and consolidation of power move, altho in this case executed with elementary-school level sophistication.
Pretty big leap there, Pardner.

What sucks is the optics are what's being paid attention to the most yet mean the least. It feels like KF disolving it was a knee jerk thing and hell it's understandable. I get why after doing it he'd not want it seen that way too but damn it I'd have more respect for him if he did just say yeah Porter blew thing up and made it about something it's not so we'll figure out a new way to go about this.

When the committee, or individuals therein, begin to make personnel statements about individuals, a line has been crossed. Personnel matters are governed by pretty strict laws, for good reasons. The U of I administration cannot get into a public argument about personnel matters. Porter knows darn well that is the case. So, his statements cannot, and should not, be publically debated. He started it, the U of I ended it.

So much of the speculation at this point about KF independently running the show, not following through with good inclusive actions, acting in a vindictive manner, not having a plan going forward, seem to me to be based on a series of oft repeated conclusions by his confirmed critics.

When the committee, or individuals therein, begin to make personnel statements about individuals, a line has been crossed. Personnel matters are governed by pretty strict laws, for good reasons. The U of I administration cannot get into a public argument about personnel matters. Porter knows darn well that is the case. So, his statements cannot, and should not, be publically debated. He started it, the U of I ended it.

So much of the speculation at this point about KF independently running the show, not following through with good inclusive actions, acting in a vindictive manner, not having a plan going forward, seem to me to be based on a series of oft repeated conclusions by his confirmed critics.

Do you think the decision to disband the committee was made it November, as KF is quoted saying, or did he make the decision after Porter send his recommendation to the text group?

Do you think the decision to disband the committee was made it November, as KF is quoted saying, or did he make the decision after Porter send his recommendation to the text group?
Way too much of a coincidence for it to be the former.

And ultimately whatever the "truth" really is here, this will have an adverse effect on recruiting. Probably more so than the extension helped.

The U of I administration cannot get into a public argument about personnel matters. Porter knows darn well that is the case. So, his statements cannot, and should not, be publically debated. He started it, the U of I ended it.
Porter is not U of I personnel. He's an independent volunteer.
So much of the speculation at this point about KF independently running the show...seem to me to be based on a series of oft repeated conclusions by his confirmed critics.
Kirk said, “I have come to a decision that this is an appropriate time to dissolve our committee as it stands currently,” Pretty tough to reach any conclusion other than he did this on his own and independently making that decision.
So much of the speculation at this point about KF...not following through with good inclusive actions...seem to me to be based on a series of oft repeated conclusions by his confirmed critics.
He disbanded the committee with nothing to replace it. That's managerial 101. He basically said, 'I'm ditching this thing, and I'll decide if/when we get around to implement a replacement.' He either made that decision last-minute because he was pissed at Porter and then didn't have time to come up with an alternative, or he doesn't think DEI is important enough to warrant a replacement program. Neither of those is worth a shit and shows poor judgement.

So much of the speculation at this point about KF...acting in a vindictive manner...seem to me to be based on a series of oft repeated conclusions by his confirmed critics.
9 days after Porter sent a text that Kirk admitted pissed him off. Come on, man. You can't be that dense. You sound like a Biden or Trump troll defending the mothership when facts are staring them in the face. You really think it was November? Use your brain.

Porter is not U of I personnel. He's an independent volunteer.

Kirk said, “I have come to a decision that this is an appropriate time to dissolve our committee as it stands currently,” Pretty tough to reach any conclusion other than he did this on his own and independently making that decision.

He disbanded the committee with nothing to replace it. That's managerial 101. He basically said, 'I'm ditching this thing, and I'll decide if/when we get around to implement a replacement.' He either made that decision last-minute because he was pissed at Porter and then didn't have time to come up with an alternative, or he doesn't think DEI is important enough to warrant a replacement program. Neither of those is worth a shit and shows poor judgement.

9 days after Porter sent a text that Kirk admitted pissed him off. Come on, man. You can't be that dense. You sound like a Biden or Trump troll defending the mothership when facts are staring them in the face. You really think it was November? Use your brain.
I know Porter is not an employee. The fact remains that the U of I cannot get into a conversation about a personnel issue. Doesn’t matter where it comes from.

KF takes responsibility for the decision. That does not mean he made it without discussions with administrators.

We still do not know if KF and the administration have at least a rough idea of a plan forward.

In cooperation with my brain, yes. KF was pissed at Porter as well he should have been. I am more focused on poor judgment by Porter than on the U of I response. KF reaction, in my view, was not “vindictive “ but rather an appropriate response.

And ultimately whatever the "truth" really is here, this will have an adverse effect on recruiting. Probably more so than the extension helped.
I doubt it. Most likely, recruits won’t even know this event occurred. Even less likely that they would even understand the issue. The accusations that the recruiting structure would fall apart after the initial drama never really got much traction. This incident pales in comparison.

I doubt it. Most likely, recruits won’t even know this event occurred. Even less likely that they would even understand the issue. The accusations that the recruiting structure would fall apart after the initial drama never really got much traction. This incident pales in comparison.
You don't think every coach in the MW won't use this against iA if they're in on the same guys?

You don't think every coach in the MW won't use this against iA if they're in on the same guys?
Things like this are a whole lot easier to rectify with recruits than other negative recruiting issues. If current players are happy and satisfied with the staff, all they have to do is make sure those players imprint that on recruits. People forget or ignore that current players play just as big a role in recruiting as coaches. Washed Up Walk Ons has had some pretty good insight into this on their pods.

Things like this are a whole lot easier to rectify with recruits than other negative recruiting issues. If current players are happy and satisfied with the staff, all they have to do is make sure those players imprint that on recruits.

This was Lomax's take as well.