Keys to beating Hoosiers

I

Ian Pike Hammer

1. Don't let Penix beat you. At his best, he is a Heisman quality QB. He lead the B1G in passing yards per game last year and we've all seen how well he runs.
2. Indiana will throw it A LOT. Key match ups are their receivers vs our back 7.
3. Pass rush. What will we get from our new starters?
4. Win the turn over battle. Goes without saying.
5. Points, points, points! Indiana had a GOOD defense last year and return talent on that side of the ball.

I don't think a strong pass rush is going to be a deciding factor in this game. Indiana is quite content to dink and dunk you to death, all the way down the field. They are, in effect, NWestern with more talented players at the skill positions -- with a QB who can also scramble and run. Iowa's only hope to win this game is to somehow dramatically win the time-of-possession game within the game, either by establishing the run game or doing a lot of dinking and dunking of our own -- or winning the turnover battle by +2 or more. I think this is just a very tough matchup for the Hawks.

Not to get too religious here, but are we living in what some refer to as End Times? Extraordinary forest fires, extraordinary heat waves and drought in the Western United States, Heavy flooding in the Eastern United States, Covid and Covid variant plagues, and Indiana and Iowa State BOTH have ranked football teams in the same year.

Control the line of scrimmage with at least a decent run game to open up the pass. On defense, control Penix and don't give up big plays, which we have been pretty good at. We have to also not let them run the ball consistently on us.

We need to win the time of possession. If we can go 35-25, that will be a recipe for a win. Oh, and keep FG attempts to a minimum by scoring touchdowns.

Though our D has traditionally been very tough, our scheme does tend to let guys like Penix stand back in the pocket and get comfortable. But we're good at keeping things in front of us. BTW, remember that Penix is recovering from an ACL injury and has been practicing without contact or pressure.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...hael-penix-jr-track-acl-recovery-start-opener

I'm concerned whether we can get enough pressure from our young DL but I think that'll be balanced by our strong back 7. If they can keep things in front of them and avoid the big play Penix may go 22/30 but it won't be enough.

On the offensive side of the ball, it's simple. Control the LOS (establish the run) and a solid game from SP with no big mistakes.

Hawks 31-23

I'm concerned whether we can get enough pressure from our young DL but I think that'll be balanced by our strong back 7.
I very rarely get overhyped on a single player, but everything I’m seeing and reading makes me believe Jack Campbell is going to be one of the greatest LBs in Hawk history. And that’s saying a lot. He has NFL size and speed already, and PP being more open to blitzing as of late makes me optimistic. The kid is scary good and unfortunately this is most likely our last year with him.

Though our D has traditionally been very tough, our scheme does tend to let guys like Penix stand back in the pocket and get comfortable. But we're good at keeping things in front of us. BTW, remember that Penix is recovering from an ACL injury and has been practicing without contact or pressure.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...hael-penix-jr-track-acl-recovery-start-opener

I'm concerned whether we can get enough pressure from our young DL but I think that'll be balanced by our strong back 7. If they can keep things in front of them and avoid the big play Penix may go 22/30 but it won't be enough.

On the offensive side of the ball, it's simple. Control the LOS (establish the run) and a solid game from SP with no big mistakes.

Hawks 31-23
That final score would be great...but that's a lot of points to score involving two teams who had Top 15 defenses last year and in Indiana's case, should be as good or better.

I don't get the nervousness for this game. Indiana has a good football team with some talent. So does Iowa. It's the Big Ten, every week you line up you can be beaten. However, everyone is concentrating on how Iowa matches up with them on defense.

Iowa just needs to play its game on offense, contain on defense, prevent the big play, and put Indiana in long fields to score more points vs Indiana. They do not have a rushing attack. Iowa's back seven are really good.
Iowa's run game is in one of the healthiest periods of productivity I've seen as a Hawkeye fan.

Take care of the football, get a good push up front, hand it off, cover responsibly, and Iowa should win this one. That's what Ole Miss did. Take the points when you can and play patient. Make Indiana play patient and you can win.

That's a good recipe for an Iowa win, no doubt. But the Ole Miss game is not a good comparison -- Indy's starting QB didn't play in that game.

I very rarely get overhyped on a single player, but everything I’m seeing and reading makes me believe Jack Campbell is going to be one of the greatest LBs in Hawk history. And that’s saying a lot. He has NFL size and speed already, and PP being more open to blitzing as of late makes me optimistic. The kid is scary good and unfortunately this is most likely our last year with him.
If he's not already I suspect he'll be compared to Brian Urlacher a lot... Similar size and just freaky fast and athletic. Dude could play safety for us if we wanted I bet...

They split the first two....beat Indiana, lose to ISU. Sucks to lose to ISU...just don't get worked by them. I don't think they will, so I can live with that.

If he's not already I suspect he'll be compared to Brian Urlacher a lot... Similar size and just freaky fast and athletic. Dude could play safety for us if we wanted I bet...
I too am on the Campbell Hype Train .. but I really think Benson is gonna put a hurt on somebody.. that dude is strong!!!.. and my break out new dline star will be Ya ya Black, I think that kid will be a monster !!

I was thinking cash. But you also want him to pursue sideline to sideline in run support as well, like Josey Jewell.

But he's faster than Jewell. Is he bigger too?

I have been a football fan a long time, I know how to answer this one.

If we win, it'll be because the OC *finally* opened up the play calling.

If we lose, it'll be because we have no heart, toughness, and/or vocal leader.
There are three or four known trolls out there that haven't been around much lately. @Fryowa may have cleared the decks...

And that's a good thing. If your going to be a negative Nancy at least be one who knows what you're talking about. Don't give us the same tired narratives that have factually been proven wrong time and again.

There are three or four known trolls out there that haven't been around much lately. @Fryowa may have cleared the decks...
Actually not. The only people I've banned (which isn't many) is because of repeated covid and politics on the main boards after we made those OT only. Oh and 4thngoal because he asked me to after I started as mod.

Most of the banned ones have gone over to the Rivals board and whined about how I suck and Rob sucks. For different reasons, obviously. Rob is a way more respectable individual than me and actually likeable.

Latest posts